The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

ground cover for shaded, damp area

ive got a large area outback on the mountain that is pretty much 100% covered by very large messmates and mountain grey gums. Its currently just grass and mud.

Im hoping to cover it primarily so that i have less area to mow, any suggestions? Im after something that will grow quick, look reasonably pretty and any activity would be a bonus i guess ) :drool2:

I was just thinking of posting this question myself. Very interested in the responses of you clever plant-heads out there...

There are plenty of invasive species that will grow like monocultures but I would steer clear of them all, use natives!

Go for a walk in the bush nearby and find a similar looking aspect and see what is growing there. Take a few cuttings and seeds and get started.

You could use rocks to put rings around 3-4 trees that are in a group, add a bit of soil and mulch, and your plants would thrive. Over time you can build more and more garden beds.

Natives that like shade would include many herbs, ferns, and vines. Lomandra and Plecteranthus would do well and one can easily propagate hundreds from seed.

Of course you may like to add a few other coulourful things as well but the local native species would provide the best foundations.

Bacopa monnieri or Centella asiatica are active and will do the job very well, but they are extremely invasive. I regret planting them bigtime (suburban block only) especially the gotu kola. Unless you never want to plant anything else there ever, unlikely. Halcyon Daze is wise, stick with natives.

Sounds like the "dam savers" range is the type of plants your after, should be able to find them online or at most nurserys.

Irie,

Not sure if you have it in your area or country???

But Justicia pectoralis (Tilo) makes a nice ground cover under the shade of the trees....

I would also have said Bacopa monnieri...

Respect,

Z

I agree with zaka - mashi hiri is a good one, and so is gotu kola (but gotu kola is quite invasive)

I'm not sure how these guys handle shade, but they're pretty nice looking, and East coast natives too. They're not active, but they are nitrogen fixing and they do vaguely look like some sort of Ephedra sp. :P

ive got a shit load of wandering jew at the front. maybe I should transplant. i have another that has a purple and white flower - its pretty amazing but wont take up back.

We get greenhoods and bird orchards in the mid section so ill leave that area.

it wont take? how come? I see them growing wild in some pretty dark forest floors. its sort of weedy i find.

im not sure if it can grow there, but in canada we have a berry called salal. pretty green plant, when i see it its usually under 5'. edible fruit, good for jams.

Haha you're kidding, right?

Wandering Jew

Tradescantia fluminensis

Noxious Weed

Noxious Weed Class 4

To comply with the NSW Noxious Weeds Act 1993, all land owners must control the growth and spread of

this plant on their land, in accordance with the measures specified in a management plan published by the

local control authority. Additionally, the plant may not be sold, propagated or knowingly distributed.

How does it affect the environment?

This highly invasive weed rapidly takes over the ground

layer in gullies and temporary watercourses, forming a

thick blanket of leaves that exclude light and warmth. Trad

aggressively smothers low plants and seedlings and cools

the soil, preventing native plant germination and

regeneration.

Edited by Alice

Wandering dew is a nice looking plant,but yeah, pretty full on when it comes to taking over. I hear of many dogs that have an allergic reaction to wandering dew so i wouldn't be encouraging it in my garden. I have used it in terrariums and due to my carelessness had it escape into the yard, luckily my chook loves it and keeps it in check. As mentioned above, Dichondra repens would probably work pretty well.

Yep its a MAJOR problem for most dogs, Ive seen dogs scratch themselves almost hairless after a couple of weeks exposure to it.

Edited by AndyAmine.

i've discovered a pretty good way to keep wandering jew in check if you don't want to spray it.

hard work, but you just nail rake it into piles. even if you don't see a small plant underneath it will often be unaffected and you can rake around plants that you do see but the vast mass of wandering jew will end up in piles.

this one is native http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commelina_cyanea

its a bigger plant and depending on various factors i guess, can be very dominant.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

i've discovered a pretty good way to keep wandering jew in check if you don't want to spray it.

hard work, but you just nail rake it into piles. even if you don't see a small plant underneath it will often be unaffected and you can rake around plants that you do see but the vast mass of wandering jew will end up in piles.

this one is native http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commelina_cyanea

its a bigger plant and depending on various factors i guess, can be very dominant.

pretty flower.