The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gogogadget

Guerilla Gardening Seed Balls

why is this so amusing? im not sure, but it is

What's not amusing about seedballing is the introduction of non-native & invasive species into a natural habitat already crippled inder the weight of foreign invaders.

• Like 2

was thinking native tree's and ethno's, keep them rangers on their toes, i don't even want to begin on what i think about them.

What's not amusing about seedballing is the introduction of non-native & invasive species into a natural habitat already crippled inder the weight of foreign invaders.

agreed, but I'd hope most guerilla planting is done in landscaped gardens in public spaces, universities :wink: etc that lost their native species long ago.

• Like 1

was thinking native tree's and ethno's, keep them rangers on their toes, i don't even want to begin on what i think about them.

And what do you think of the thousands of volunteers that donate their time and energy into bushland regeneration every weekend for zero pay?

I agree with kakia in a way, if there's absolutely no hope left for an area I suppose guerrilla gardening isn't doing much more damage.

Sort of like bombing the capital city of afghanistan.

it would have it's uses.

i think plants work better than seeds, they have a head-start on the weeds and then they create ten thousand seeds of their own.

it's too simple to work in most scenarios, fixing an area requires repeated visits. one scenario that is supposed to work is choko in lantana. you make 'choko grenades' by wrapping them in sphagnum, then hoik 'em about the place. years later i imagine, the choko vine has overgrown the lantana, with very little human effort.

way to wipe out an entire regions dynamic underground breeding programs through introducing un-varified pollen...

vandalism i reckon. :wave-finger:

• Like 1

I dont see it as much different from people like those in this community collecting plants from all over the world and bringing them to or sending them around australia. Some of the common plants that are discussed on this forum have big potential to go weedy and some already have.

Or is it different when plants have goodies in them?

• Like 1

I dont see it as much different from people like those in this community collecting plants from all over the world and bringing them to or sending them around australia. Some of the common plants that are discussed on this forum have big potential to go weedy and some already have.

Or is it different when plants have goodies in them?

Most of the time when people here are trading species with the potential to become an invasive, there is a warning.

I get what you're saying tho, as there isn't always a mention that the plant could become noxious..

I've always thought seed balls were a great way to clear out/overgrow the huge patches of broom, gorse and other invasives over here. That's always with native seeds tho..

About a month ago I left a bucket full of wheat outside as I kinda forgot about it halfway through rinsing it...

2 days later every single seed in the bucket had germinated... I ended up spreading it across my neighbours perfectly manicured lawns :D. I know that most of the germinated seed would just be eaten by birds in the morning, then the rest would be weeded out by the keen gardeners... but my neighbours are so high and mighty around me and turn away if we catch eye contact to avoid waving at me :/, i just had to do it to get them back. It was either this or writing obsenities on their lawn in salt.

I knew it was irresponsible but I tried to limit my contamination as much as I could.

This could potentionally be really good with native plants/native mycelium though...

Nobody's actually mentioned the ingredients in these balls. The video isnt too helpful. For those unaware, this is alleged to be an ancient technique that was re-introduced to the world by a Japanese farmer Masanobu Fukuoka. Some refer to them as Fuk-Balls

I believe that clay is a big part of what keeps them together. The pitfall is that if there's a hot dry spell, when there's no moist periods and your Fuk balls are exposed, they will dry and harden, rendering the whole concept null. Or you could bury your Fuk-balls deep into the brown loam, but that's then defeating the purpose of fuk-balling your seed in the first place.

well my main interest is in native acacia of varying species from alata to jam wattle to farnesiana, spores came to mind but so many things come into play it would be pretty difficult to have great success and have heard mention of poppy being a good laugh but more to the point if pollen was your concern i cant see people bagging each sack at the right time, i just wanted to get peoples opinions on the ethics of it and some many valid points have been given, really do get sick of being controlled by the men in black :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by gogogadget

Would poppies naturalise in our climate and compete with native fauna?

Fuk balling poppies seems like an awesome, though incredibly unethical, idea in theory for me, just around neighbourhoods though not out bush or in parklands.

I would imagine they would - poppies are naturally found in warm dry places similar to SA. Also the fact that a single plant can put out thousands of seeds, a few are bound to germinate and spread, which could quickly become a problem. I think they actually are weeds in many countries

I confess that I have been tempted to do some guerrilla gardening in some disused wastelands and the uni, though I've never gone through with it. I did think that in areas that were already heavily disturbed and overrun with other invasive species that it wouldn't be such a bad thing. I mean, having a little pocket of forest full of viney goodness would be pretty cool, but I suspect that it's a problematic idea.

I also appreciate the weedy aspect as I currently have Lactuca outbreak in my garden at home and I can see how it could get out of hand.