The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Deleted :(

Sorry folks, this had to be deleted for personal reasons.

Edited by tripsis

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 1

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 1

Champion effort,

sexy shots there.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Great story!

I've never realised how pretty this genus is as an ornamental. They're quite gorgeous, especially the E. gerardiana with its dusty green and red blocks of colour.

Thanks Tripsis.

excuse me tripsis,

its going to take me at least a week to prise my jaw off of the floor. amazing habitat shots.

to think how much ive fussed over these plants in the past.

very impressive. thanks!

Edited by incognito

Great stuff Tripsis

Stunning photos :worship:

Cheers

Got

nice one!

it's so good to see them in there natural enviroment, as we can get some horticultural inspirations from those shots.

there is a pic with male and female plants at the same spot, but it's said that ephedra plants become male at the dry spot's and female at the locations with more water, have you observed this aswell?

marcel, ephedras in cultivation look even much nicer, ephedra's are truly one of the most beautyfull plants on this planet.

tripsis, how cold does it get there and how much snow in winter?

the minima you like so much is an excellent boarder plant, and aswell one of my fav's, i can tell you, it can survive -25 deg C.

it's very interressting to see on your pic's how the plants choose often an elevated area or sheltered by a rock, to grow.

I can't say i did notice that the male plants grew in drier locations than the females. They seemed to be interspersed in an area fairly evenly, although sometimes one sex dominated more than the other.

From Wiki:

Temperature ranges are from -3 to 30 °C in summer and from -20 to -35 °C in winter.

I really hope to get a few E. regeliana plants up. I think they're a truly beautiful plant.

this temperature range seem to support a bit my view that gerardiana doesn't like very high temperatures.

i think, i have observed that gerardiana stopps growing over the hottes parts of the summer, in tropical locations, but doesn't suffer. once it get's a bit colder, they grow like crazy again.

it's the same as with bridgesii.

gerardiana seem to be very hardy, and less sensitive to over and under watering.

perfect thread to show off my ephedra major, she's about 8years old, unfortunately many of my ephedras did not survive the floods either.

post-70-0-82883900-1304039200_thumb.jpg

ephedra major 40%.JPG

ephedra major 40%.JPG

i enjoyed the read tripsis and there's some really good pictures that go along with it.

you have got me interested in the fruit of this shrub, what it taste like and what you could make

with it.

how long does it take from seed to fruit production? also, how long until you can tell the sex of the srub?

Edited by DeadStar

Thanks mate.

The berries are very sweet and succulent, but the juice is also extremely sticky, making them quite difficult to eat. When dried however, they are excellent, being very easy to consume and also very delicious.

Not sure how long it takes between flowering and maturity of the fruit.

As far as I am aware, you can't tell the sex of the plants until they flower.

how long does it take from seed to fruit production?

most plants i have seen in cultivation never have flowered even if they were 20 years old...

they can flower after a few years of growing them from seeds, (guesstimate 3 or 4 years)

but as said they never seem to flower, and that goes for most different ephedra species.

i have seen ephedra minima, producing seeds in cultivation, but none others.

ehpedras not containing ephedrin and pseudo could be very interresting aswell to be investigated...

Cheers mate. :)