The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

please join my forum

Is there anyway we can discuss the topic in the link above here on this forum?

It would be tricky without saying "blah extracted blah amount from blah aged cactus" etc. Which we should not be discussing. Your best bet would be to try and find a paper (if there is one, I have no idea, I haven't looked) that addresses the topic, then we can discuss the paper. I.e. it's not incriminating because someone else has done the research legitimately, we are simply discussing it.

It's an interesting question but certainly not a new one as you well know, I followed your link and apart from saying that you have a theory, you haven't backed it up with any sort of evidence. So what is there to discuss then? If I were you I'd start looking up the mechanisms of alkaloid accumulation in different tissue types in plants and then extrapolate to similar tissues in cacti, or something like that. Then we can discuss.

You need to give us something to work with.

it would all be theory...

Well, what's your theory then? Why exactly do you think that older tissues contain more alkaloids? If you can discuss it without incriminating yourself or others, then what's the problem?

If you can discuss it without incriminating yourself or others, then what's the problem?

I don't see a problem, so it's okay to discuss thEN?

I would Pm PD first, as he is the one who mods the cacti forum :wink:

Edited by mac

Would it be advisable to PM Torsten with the specifics and get the response directly from him? Be clear on what will and will not be discussed and if there's no problem then there's no problem... I don't see the harm it could do. At worst you're ignored or it's not okay. If you don't do it then you're potentially going to get a warn/ban or what-have-you.

Hopefully they will see this thread

Hi Teotz, Its definately borderline but i assume that the topic would lead to self incrimination pretty fast and thats the actual problem. The idea in general is probably worth discussing but you know that most threads about that topic usually degenerate very fast. One thing is for sure though: If the discussion should take place in the cactus forum, it would be moderated very sensitively. And im not saying it WOULD happen because thats PDs call.

I´d suggest you to pm PD. According to what he says, you can either open a new thread or not. But in any case, you would need to switch to the newly opened thread for the actual discussion because theres no way this is going to happen in Chill Space. :lol:

Edited by Evil Genius

I'm not overly happy keeping threads like that open in the pharmacology and chemistry forum but I'm happy to have diligent posts added. Stating total alkaloid % without reference to any scheduled substance sounds reasonable to me, who knows if it is tyramine, non-scheduled alkaloids or something similar? That said, links to scientific literature are much more welcome (for the same reasons stated above). Before posting, I'd ask:

1. Realise this forum is linked to a business and indirectly has the ability to affect others. Current moves towards extreme legislation have essentially threatened many Aus. ethnobotanical stores. Do not add fuel to that fire.

2. By posting such details, you are essentially incriminating yourself (unless it is an article). SWIM/My friend/gnome etc isn't really any protection. Note that you are not only putting yourself at risk but also the whole forum.

3. Are there better avenues to contribute the data to? Other forums (non-Australian) might be under less scrutiny and thus offer a better outlet. If people are looking for information, they should search. It needn't be all in one place.

4. Check with T/PD etc. if you can.

Hopefully I've said something along the lines of what other's are thinking - speak up if that's not the case.

Edited by Alchemica

I can only assume that this is the response from teotz in regards to me closing a thread last week where he put his theory forward, the same theory is also linked above, once closed he then started a new thread with exactly the same thing. I sent him a PM telling him it was against the forum rules which i directed him to after a couple of days then this thread pops up. I have talked to teotz in regards to these rules a few times in the past, he should know better and i dont see why he is asking here when he knows all too well what he wants to talk about is not on in the cactus forum.

So we can't talk about it? :( but it is such an interesting topic!

It is an interesting topic but in my opinion this is not the time or place

Teo Read this thread My link and then you might understand why it shouldn’t be discussed. I would like to continue to grow cacti in au and this sort of discussion will not help our cause.

Cheers

Got

nevermind...nothing to see here

Edited by dg420

I dont see the problem here, Teotz. Why not just discuss this on your newly opened forum? This would give your forum something interesting to discuss right from the start. You left the link here...now people who are interested can switch over there to have that discussion. bye Eg

all right evil genius fair enough