The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Marcel

Sydney Fungal Studies Group

I've been thinking of joining for a few years now, but never get around to it. I wonder what sort of crowd it is.

www.sydneyfungalstudies.org.au

Wow, never come across it before. Would definitely be interested in joining. Will have a more in-depth read about it.

I've been thinking of joining for a few years now, but never get around to it. I wonder what sort of crowd it is.

www.sydneyfungalstudies.org.au

Same here.. known about it but never joined. I'm guessing the crowd is very mixed?

The bushland park they talk about is quite close to me, I go there sometimes in winter to check out the rare mushrooms there.

I e-mailed the Chairman.. i think it was Ray? once about getting permission to walk off-track to take photos and stuff... he seemed very nice, i'm sure the group (if they're still active) would be very welcoming.

Well, their season has only 2 forays left for the year. Seems to me that they jumped the gun a bit; surely there could be some fruitful jaunts in June and July? I'll try to go to their workshop day at Sydney Uni though. I think there was a psilocybe talk last year.

Lane Cove bushland is beautiful. I read Ray's little monograph of the fungi of that area in Lane Cove library and spent some serious time there last year, but never found much of interest. Certainly nothing like the beauties you've photographed, Undergrounder. (By the way, that's quite a contrast in avatars between SAB and the shroomery, you got there :) )

Perhaps we could get a SAB Fungal Studies group together for some forays? We could go to some of the SFSG's locations and others that some of us may know. We could bring some nibblies and beers for after... Who's interested?

I'm down with that idea Marcel.

Well, their season has only 2 forays left for the year. Seems to me that they jumped the gun a bit; surely there could be some fruitful jaunts in June and July? I'll try to go to their workshop day at Sydney Uni though. I think there was a psilocybe talk last year.

Lane Cove bushland is beautiful. I read Ray's little monograph of the fungi of that area in Lane Cove library and spent some serious time there last year, but never found much of interest. Certainly nothing like the beauties you've photographed, Undergrounder. (By the way, that's quite a contrast in avatars between SAB and the shroomery, you got there :) )

Perhaps we could get a SAB Fungal Studies group together for some forays? We could go to some of the SFSG's locations and others that some of us may know. We could bring some nibblies and beers for after... Who's interested?

Unfortunately the tracks only intersect with where the mushrooms are once... almost all of them are off-track, and only around after solid rain in late autumn/winter. If you send me a message after some good rain and cold weather, i'd be happy to take you to them, I would like to check them out again this year.. perhaps make it one of your proposed SAB fungal forays? We could do LCBP and perhaps some similar habitats on the north shore while we're at it.

I used to have that avatar here as well, but someone complained it was freaking them out... hence the bunny

I'm down with that idea Marcel.

Dammed good idea

perhaps we could organize groups in regions?

Nah, just come down. :wink:

Edited by tripsis

Ok then. How about our first foray in early May? May 7th, perhaps, weather permitting?

Somewhere in metropolitan Sydney... Maybe too early for Lane Cove, judging by what Undergrounder says. Bola Creek in the Royal National Park sounds like a nice place. I know the area more-or-less; anyone know the place from a mycological perspective?

Ok then. How about our first foray in early May? May 7th, perhaps, weather permitting?

Somewhere in metropolitan Sydney... Maybe too early for Lane Cove, judging by what Undergrounder says. Bola Creek in the Royal National Park sounds like a nice place. I know the area more-or-less; anyone know the place from a mycological perspective?

Sounds good.. if there's a bit of rain around, I can bring a car if people need a lift (wherever we end up going). Also need good rain

Count me in. I have been thinking about going on forays with them for a year now.

True mycophiles should love all fungi!

Shit! I totally forgot about this. I won't be able to make it tomorrow!

Umm... What now?

If the rest of you want to still go tomorrow, by all means go without me :(

I'll be able to do Saturday the 14th, in the afternoon... Maybe somewhere a little closer to Sydney proper... Boronia Park in Hunter's Hill? (I'm just totally stealing these locations from the Sydney Fungal Studies website!).

Yeah I am happy to reschedule to the 14th. Maybe we should have an informal meet up for drinks before then somewhere too.

I would be keen to get a monthly mycophile night going somewhere in the city if others are keen. I have a few people I know would be keen.

Ah, nuts. I gotta work this Saturday. :angry: Besides, it's looking a little dry this week to make it worthwhile, I think...

How about the 21st of May, rain, hail or shine? If a bunch of you are up for it, I'll start a new thread advertising the whole thing to other members.

Also, I think we should make it clear that this won't be a big group sub hunt, but a little foray in which we will look at various fungal species, for photographic and identification purposes. Agreed?

21st seems good at the moment.

I got a fungal foray thread going here, for any interested parties.

I know Marcel mentioned it, but is anyone else keen to go to the Sydney Fungal Studies Group Inc 2011 workshop on Saturday 27 August.:

http://www.sydneyfungalstudies.org.au/workshop2011.htm

I think Marcel expressed some interest.

Looks really interesting, and would be a great opportunity for a SAB meet.

Anyone else keen?