The Corroboree
quarterflesh

pulverizing plants

can anyone help me out here, aside from taking hours on end to chop up leaves and small stems with scissors and a blender, what is the easiest way to turn the whole plant (root included) to a fine powder. im not talking trees here just common shrubs and the like. iv already blown up 2 coffee grinders and am looking at a more large scale setup. thanks

LOL, ive destroyed three blenders in my effort 2 with cactus to make a fertilizer :blink: and one with a parsley plant the missus dont let me near the blenders anymore :angry:

i just thought of this edited into for ya if you got a large amount of plant matter use a lawn mower with a catcher works like a charm!

Edited by applesnail

i was thinking about this http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_ozito-2400w-silent-shredder_715.aspx but im pretty sure it wont do a thorough enough job, roots seem to be the big obstacle when it comes to burning out the blender and coffee grinders

I think that would do a pretty good job if you kept feeding it thru as would be the case with a lawn mower..have you tryed smashing the roots with a metal mallet before blending them to rupture em up abit..you know the mallets the ones with spikes on it that one uses in the kitchen for tenderising stuff, i dont know there real name im not allowed in the kitchen only to get a beer from the fridge this is the missus domain i dare not venture!...a sledge hammer would get em good also but may be messy?!

Edited by applesnail

Lol. I can certainly feel ya on this one :)

Depending on the material your dealing with - some liquid/solvent(water perhaps?)polar /non-polar or the plant material itself is sufficiently moisty.....? dunno ...u decide

Get a bucket deep enough to fit the cut bits of plantage in question

Cut hole/aperture in lid large enough to fit the stem for a long drill bit thru it. Get wide paddle type thingy attachment for drill stem.

put drill bit thru it,pop lid on, re-attach drill to drill stem and squeeze drill trigger

Stuff doesn't fly everywhere and mashing is quite good, no burnt motors unless you keep squeezing trigger while in a sleep/trance like state :P

Now this proly wont get it to the consistency you require for an extraction but now it's smaller and workable with kitchen implements.......e.g like a steak tenderisor

Has worked with>basil/sida r and c/oregano/parsley/some cac(remove spines first) /tomatoes/peppers/..alot of stuff.Once you refine the method, it's practically universal in it's application.

all the best with your project

on big projects i have used a chaff cutter and a mulcher kinda like the one you have linked. Neither will get them powder fine though.

`

Edited by Magicdirt

nah just buy a big tub and get an axe handle,

take your hatred out on those plants,

smash them, smash them as though you would smite your enemies,

feel the force luke, succumb to the dark side,

smash them luke,

smite them as though they are your enemy,,

how did you know my name was luke ??? nah , the bucket idea sounds good, will try it out next harvest :) . thanks for the ideas guys

You could give a old mincer a go before using your blender or coffee grinder

i wouldn't know where to get a mincer from, unless i op shop around and look for those old ones that bolt onto kitchen benches from way back.

Some years back I saw a guy install a garbage disposal to a heavy wooden end table with the out pipe feeding into 5 gallon buckets. He said it worked magic for shredding cucumber-like biomass.

You could give a old mincer a go before using your blender or coffee grinder

LMAO

You can find old mincers in oxford st in Syd or Fitzroy St in melb

lol

looks like ebay would be the go for a mincer, it would be a pain in the ass if the plant parts get tangled in it though.

`

Edited by Magicdirt

`

Edited by Magicdirt

What about a BlendTec blender (the blender behind the "Will it Blend" youtube videos)?

In one of the videos, they grind a wooden broom stick down to shreds, so I'm assuming it could easily handle roots and such.

You could always try liquid nitrogen and a mortar and pestle, this will easily powder the finer material and make the larger stuff slightly easier to break up with a hammer.

Then again, if you're looking at large scale this could be a slightly more dangerous way to go about things.