The Corroboree
omsource

Eucalyptus woodchips in fruiting block?

Found a great supply of ash sawdust but I can't seem to find any decent hardwood wood chips

other than the eucalyptus mulch that's everywhere!

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the supplemented sawdust block

using eucalyptus wood chips?

They use Eucalyptus wood for shiitake in Brazil, so you should be fine there. Don't know about the others. Try and let us know!

will do!

I'll be knocking up the bags in a few days, I'll keep ya posted :)

Let us know what you innoc it with and also whether you pasteurise or sterilise or through in any bran or other supplements.

Yeah, I've read numerous books and articles which said eucalyptus is fine. Even my books by the master himself Paul Stamets.

Got any places like saw mills or garden centres that let you buy various things by the trailer load etc? There's one near me that sells hardwood woodchips and then another a 30 min drive away that sells sawdust and woodchips from various species.

Also, ring up your local council and ask if they have any woodchips etc that you have can or buy? Their workers are chopping trees and mulching stuff frequently and some councils even advertise it on their websites. Make sure it hasn't got shit in there that you don't want.

`

Edited by Magicdirt

What about just leaving it out to age for a while? Would this do the same thing? Or if you let it sit in a heap under a tarp for 4-6 weeks do you think the natural composting would be too fierce and take hold? Even if you were to pasteurise when it came time to use it?

I hear that a freshly chopped log for shiitake (shining gum - E. Nitens apparently is awesome) works best if it's been allowed to sit for 6 weeks before having dowels inserted. Maybe the same goes for chips.

`

Edited by Magicdirt

Yeah, if I remember correctly then the reason why you leave logs a little before inoculating is because the wood has some natural fungicides etc so by leaving it to age a little then it allows these to disappear.