The Corroboree
incognito

any wrx enthusiasts here?

well its time for me to buy another car dammit. ive just had no luck with cars.

mainly as ive always owned historic shitboxes, that just cant take these country roads.

gear box just shat itself in my nissan and im OVER it. i want something that is fun, reliable and can handle the all terrain driving i have to do, which is a 160 round trip 5 days a week for work.

anyways i like the wrxs, and have sourced a 2006 model which only has 60000 k's on it.

he wanted 25k, but he will take 20.

from what ive researched 04 and 05models wrxs are still getting 25k plus, guess what im looking for is some elbow twisting.

ive turned into a bit of a tight ass, and 20k is alot of money.however i need a new car, and i want something that can do the job (and looks awesome and some genuine balls as well ;)

plus i wonder how much petrol they really chew?? i guess no more than any of my old bombs.

any honest input on this would be aweesome. can post a link to the car, but for the possibility of being an awesome deal i will keep it to myself haha

Edited by incognito

well i personally appreciate the sheer grunt of a turbo diesel, but i guess not very fuel economic, that being said i love 4x4's

im sorry i couldn't shed more light on the subject never owned a rexi.

Edited by gogogadget

Cant comment on WRX's one thing to look into is the car's history

if the bloke who owns it is a peanut who hammers the living shit out of the thing, it may have done a very hard 60,000 clicks

for that sorta cash id be getting a decent mechanic or RAA to go over, pressure test the cylinders & give it a full mechanical inspection

could get a hilux a carton of piss & a blue or readhealer for 20k :wink: < need a tongue in cheek emot

Edited by mac

yes mac, if i do go ahead with the purchase i was going to get the nrma to go over it. ive heard this is the go?

edit- not interested in hilux's. i really want to know if this is a good price for a rex of this model and k's.

he did mention asomething about being in an outdoor adventure club and used to take it offroad and...rockclimbing?????? i was a bit taken back by that one. i did say i wanted the nrma to go over it etc etc and he was totally cool with it. i have heaps of pics of it, looks schmick.

Edited by incognito

A WRX is fantastic value, as long as it hasn't been thrashed too much. I say go for it. I've driven my mates '00 STI a couple of times, fuck me it was a weapon, pretty much stock but still plenty quick enough. Fuel economy was shite, not helped by his driving style lol, but hey, you don't buy one to just putt around at 50km/h do you? Since sold it for something more fuel efficient, but he seemed to thoroughly enjoy the time he had with it.

My next car will most likely be an sti (pending wifey approval, going well so far!), yes they can chew through fuel, but driving off boost it's not too bad. Better than a larger capacity engine of similar power output anyway.

They really are a bargain considering what you'd pay for a European equivilant.

Take it too a mechanic to get checked over, and buy it. You're young and have the money, so why not? You can always sell in in 12 months if the relationship goes to shit, you might even get you're 20K all abck if it's still in good nick and you haven't packed on the kms.

And then post pics! :lol:

Edited by Alice

not reeeaalllllly have the money. it will be a loan. i do have a steady job though that i HOPE to keep. not easy when ur a tad on the unusual side lol but im really tryyyyyyyyyyyyyying.

im not THAT young ..im 33 shhhhh ;) the thing is i spend a fair bit of time driving, which i want now to be an enjoyable time instead of hoping that my piece of shit holds together until i get to work on time. im all good at maintaining a car, infact id be more vigilant with something that i did not despise with every inch of my soul. thats it, no more shitty cars mun. and wrxs look so cool. and go mad ;) u dont know what to read on the net its a completely 50/50 convo on rexs. 1/2 love them, 1/2 bag them. i do think they are of good value for a performance car. a shitty car in the city is fine cos ur only driving sweet f.a a day. here uve gotta drive on tar, shale, dirt, mud u name it. dodge roos, trucks, headers, tractors, its mental. roos are the biggest issue, and im sure driving something i dont want hit will keep me slow and vigilant. ive collected 4 of them in 2 years.

i know not their fault but mannnnnnnnnn they need to evolve to wear sunglasses at night or something.

stis are the bomb alice but thats where your shelling the extra 10grand out. 2011 models are 80k i think? thats stock standard. and they r fugly hatchbacks. they look like bums. the o6 model was also the last of the sedans. really sexy.

i think it means the last of your soul is about to disappear when you finda car sexually attractive?? i think im starting to, and ive NEVER been a car person :drool2:

edit- i cant help myself, here it is!

My link

edit- it actually looks like hes blown his load a few times on the seat. seriously, dont mock me unti uve looked at the pic. thats has to be a good sign as to the worth of this car in my books. :worship:

oh and it 70,000 k's, not 60 :(

Edited by incognito

If I'm young, then you're young, 33 isn't old!

Mate looks to be in good condition from the pics, paint looks good, engine bay clean. After you buy it, ditch the cannon muffler and BOV, unless you want the police attention.

Has a full service history, 70K kms is really quite low, looks like the previous owner has looked after it well. He even gives the wheels a good clean, they appear to be free of any brake dusk. And I quite like the colour too, it's very unusual colour for a Subaru.

I'm not a fan of the new hatchback either, but then I wasn't a fan of the bug-eye impreza's when they came out either, and now I quite like them. But the old sedans sure are sexy...

Price seems very reasonable. I like it.

http://www.subaru.com.au/models/impreza/ the brand spanking R model same price as a second hand one, weird.

is their a specific reason your going for an earlier model? was it his price drop?

Edited by gogogadget

thats not a wrx. smaller engine size to name one.

Edited by incognito

as always, hillbillys on the money. cheers brother xxx

fair enough, each to their own, i didn't take into account that's all you were interested in, but then what do i know.

Sube's are great cars, really nice all-round feel, expensive servicing, but you get what you pay for. I had a Liberty for four years, great cruising car. Rexes have balls too.

Go for it!

One thing to take into consideration with a WRX is the insurance, they are one of the top cars for theft and accidents so they are exxy to insurance.

Also, like I say those cars get crashed a lot so make sure you check for bogged or repainted panels and how true the frame is etc or if it has been welded down the middle, lol ;)

Personally I would much rather get a Forrester GT and thats what Im going for when I sell my Outback, they are slightly slower but the size, room, clearance and cheaper yearly cost more than make up for it.

everyone should own a troopcarrier!! Seriously mate, we had ours for nearly 15 years and it was nearly ten years old when we bought it! all its ever had is tyres and brakes and a diff centre. Its always towing stuff and has now done over 350,000 kays in our hands..

I know so many people that buy one then say they'd never own anything that wasnt a troopcarrier again!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Landcruiser-Troopcarrier-2004-/230605618984?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item35b12a7f28#ht_500wt_1156

check them for rust from being on the beach though

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios

nah thanks :) dont want anything chunky. going to check out the rex next saturday will utalise my nrma membership to get them to give it a good going over. had a good yarn with the guy, seems a top bloke.ive whittled him down from 25k down to 20k, dont think ill get much cheaper than that.

Those troopies are actually pretty fun to drive, such a tank! I've driven that exact model, a cunt of a thing to park... Can't say I'd want to live with one every day. But you're never short of boot space :lol:

what is a troopie? a landcruiser?

hillbilly im gonna shop around for a cheap gearbox for my nissan navara, thats all it needs now, ive put new clutch, radiator, suspension, muffler and tyres on it , all over the course of 2 months :(

im thinking once i bung the new gearbox in it itwill be good to go, so will either sell it (any takers? 2.5k?) or will keep it as my shroom wagon ;)

think ive made my mind up, will speak to mr.bank man tomorrow and see if hes keen to put me into debt :( dependant on outcome of nrma inspection, i think this is as cheap a 2006 rex with 70000k's onit in australia.

i wants it!

Edited by incognito

Troopie = troop carrier. 2 bench seats in the back, all the troops sit and face each other (face inwards). Or can sleep on benches. And I think they fold up too, creating a massive cargo area. There's a picture in that ebay link above.

yeah a landcruiser like my white on. Anyhoo good look mate. You'll look fully sick driving round in a rexy..

yeah the seats fold up and bolt out with just a few bolts too. when in camp mode our are folded down with a sheet of ply wood across them. its the same size as a double bed! and can store heaps of stuff underneath.

One thing to take into consideration with a WRX is the insurance, they are one of the top cars for theft and accidents so they are exxy to insurance.

Andy, that was the case in the early days, however with the advent of "datadots" and the extra Brandt security, WRX thefts are a rarity these days.

I own an 05 STi and am in the NSW WRX club, the number of thefts I have heard about in recent years can be counted on one hand (crooks find Audi RS4s much easier to steal and almost as quick with similar handling).

Shannons are the insurer of choice, they understand performance vehicles and their owners and are much cheaper than the regular insurers.

incognito, if you buy a WRX you will love it, I've had two over the past 10 years and have loved them both, a whole lot of fun and incredibly reliable. As far as economy goes, 12L per 100kms around town and 10L per 100km on the highway is my norm (and I don't drive slow).

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Peace.

post-6048-0-23957200-1302407062_thumb.jp

post-6048-0-23957200-1302407062_thumb.jpg

post-6048-0-23957200-1302407062_thumb.jpg

Nice car Sam, love the STi's. 12L/100kms city isn't to bad at all.

Nice car Sam, love the STi's. 12L/100kms city isn't to bad at all.

Thank you Alice, the STi's are more refined and have a bit more grunt than a regular WRX. I loved my previous WRX but wouldn't go back to it having owned an STi.

In fact one can get better consumption figures (without driving like the proverbial sunday driver).

I have seen 10.3L/100km around town but that requires leaving the aircon off and not reacting to boy racers who think they can blow you away (they can't). Similarly last trip north I averaged just over 9L/100km on a 6 hour trip Turramurra to Grafton with no aircon and limiting speed to the posted limit plus a certain percentage (to remain under the lidar/radar/speed camera booking threshold).

Peace