The Corroboree
nabraxas

scientific breakthrough that will turn cannabis into the new aspirin

Yesterday scientists announced that they'd discovered a way to harness the painkilling powers of the active ingredient in marijuana, THC, while eliminating the high. What this means is that a special, non-hallucinatory version of THC could become the new aspirin.

Physiologist Li Zhang and colleagues discovered that THC targets several parts of the nervous system, some of which are called inhibitory glycine receptors (GlyRs). These receptors, according to Zhang, help regulate "neuromotor activity, pain sensation, muscle relaxation and anxiety." He and his fellow researchers speculate that a synthetic THC could be made that targets just GlyRs - hence, a form of cannabis that works as a painkiller but doesn't get you high.

full story:

http://io9.com/#!5788512/the-scientific-breakthrough-that-will-turn-cannabis-into-the-new-aspirin

• Like 1

So all the effects, without the fun? :unsure:

Not a bad thing. If it does indeed become used as much as aspirin, and people are aware it was derived from cannabis, it may give cannabis in general greater legitimacy.

"Cannaspirin - Australia's most trusted pain reliever"

Yes it seems to be a very interesting positive development. Love *Cannasprin* :lol:

Once they start selling it though, there will no longer be a reason for *medical marijuana*

But it'd also be good for people who don't want to smoke or eat their medicine perhaps?

`

Edited by Magicdirt

Is THC an effective pain reliever anyway ?

It's never done much for me when I've been in pain, except to take my attention away from the pain because I was smashed.

The pain relief aspect is only minor at best, a few shots of whiskey is much more effective for me.

Less effective then panadol? :rolleyes:

paracetamol works for me.

But it leaves the recreational users asking just one question: Is there a way to create a synthetic form of THC that does nothing but get you high, without all those pesky "medicinal" side-effects?

That's the stupidest thing I've read today...

• Like 1

Youve obviously never known a fat chick that was a stoner

I've known chicks who were fat before they became stoners... and why did I get a negative rating for that post? I just found the suggestion that "recreational pot smokers would have nothing on their minds other than whether a synthetic cannabinoid that would get you really high with no other effects was a possibility" a little insulting.

Wtf auxin, whats this about fat stoner chicks?

*yours sincerely, medium sized non-stoner chick*

munchies for some would be a pesky side effect.

i dunno, it'd be interesting if you could pick and choose which effects you got out of something. like getting drunk except you can still drive, not get a hangover, and you only have to urinate the standard amount. or how about rolling while urinating with regular speed and ease, without hugging anybody or grinding your teeth.

mostly fantasy :/

hey

meeka, that probably implies that getting fat is one of the 'side-effects' of cannabis, due to munchies.

in reality, those people had no decent metabolism and/or healthy appetite in the first place and it's pretty oversimplistic to blame cannabis for people getting fat

psili, I took care of the bad vote ;)

Edited by mutant

:blush: Thanks for translating for me.

munchies for some would be a pesky side effect.

i dunno, it'd be interesting if you could pick and choose which effects you got out of something. like getting drunk except you can still drive, not get a hangover, and you only have to urinate the standard amount. or how about rolling while urinating with regular speed and ease, without hugging anybody or grinding your teeth.

mostly fantasy :/

What about being able to go about your daily business while tripping balls?...you know, being able to tie your shoelaces and buy milk and stuff, lol. That'd be pretty cool.

yeah, fuck sentences i'd be happy if i could form a coherent WORD on the bigger trips. you are right. that would be cool.

• Like 1

oh lets get rid of all the other fun stuff in psychedelics as well then! :P

Have to agree with psili sausage. Anyone who has ever smoked for a prolonged period knows that marijuana is actually an appetite suppressant. There are many documents on the effects of THC for weight loss. I know a few girls who were curvy before they smoked and are now too skinny!

anyone who is fat and smokes pot.....is just too lazy in my opinion*.....

*diabetes or some other medical condition may also be a contributing factor.

and on the painkiller front....

my 18mm protrusion in my L5/S1 and the concoction of pain relief i have been prescribed and taken makes my opinion quite valid.

paracetamol and marijuana are about as effective as each other in terms of physical pain relief, however MJ has the added benifit of being able to cure (imo) even the most serious bouts of nausea(sea sickness & hangover in particular)

nothing beats good ol' 30mg docs word panadeine forte

they still load em up with 500mg of paracetamol no matter what strength Codeine.

edit, by mod:

2deep2handle you can't ask this question at this forum.

all you have to do, is to google this subject.

Edited by planthelper

almost 6 years ago now my gnome clean snapped his right forearm [ulna/radius] and had bits of bone dangling out his arm from a downhill mountain biking accident.

he was put on morphine once he got to the hospital [damn paramedics had none in the ambulance] which was very effective at more or less knocking him out so he didnt feel any pain... when he was sent home the following day he was given a script of oxycontin which is strong shit and he was only on the 16mg tabs [x2 3x/day]

after a week they virtually had no effect @ that same dose... it wasn't until my gnome found some hashish that the pain totally left... perhaps hashish has a much stronger pain relieving effect than regular bud but by golly it worked! just ask my gnome...

panadol does nothing imo...

id rather sit in a corner and stare at the wall in a trance like state deep in meditation :blink:

[which is kind to the body and the wallet]

Because you can't have people getting high!

:rolleyes:

I followed bits and pieces of the progression of medical use in the states / canada over the last couple of years, watching politicians/czars make completely false statements to support their agenda which was whittled down over time as more intellectual interviewers pushed specific topics and statements to a point where in some cases the politicians/czars had not a leg to stand on regarding their 'no medical value' 'no studies ever proving this or that' etc.

Finally when it hit this point in conversation, after it was shown the 'no medical value etc' was a pure lie and the people were squirmin', it came down to and was happily put out there by the speakers that they specifically did not want people getting 'high', from the examples i remember it was in no way a public health thing, i.e. can't get high 'cause they'd be an intoxicated danger in the workplace etc, to me it was quite clear it was the mentality of fear, the whole white male industrialised drinking culture vs pot smoking hippies who threaten the current establishments social structure, unsustainable industries etc.

So yeah, your statement is exactly what they want! The demonisation of a plant, demonisation of races, complete dismission of the plants values, then sneaking in, taking parts of it to use for their pharmacy industry, then demonsied and dismiss the plants lack of worth again.

• Like 3

how does a convo about medicinal mj turn into a convo about fat chicks!!???? :lol:

I must say ive never found weed to be a particularly affective anti inflammatory and ive tried many things. Ashwaghanda, Rehmannia and ginseng seem ok though.

I hope they don't start genetically engineering the plants. Just look what happened with the poppies.