The Corroboree
tripsis

Wanted: Dioscorea transversa and D. alata

Looking for the two species of Dioscorea in the title of this thread. Willing to trade for or buy them.

Edit: misspelling!

Edited by tripsis

Ever tried eating them? Tasty?

Never had the opportunity. Would like to though, hence the desire to grow them.

Did your alata cark it?

Ah yeah, thought it was a D. opposita when I posted that. Still, a couple of different plants can't hurt, but no, the one you sent me is still alive. :)

Hey man - I have Dioscorea alata. I think it is anyway - it has square stems with purple ridges coming off each corner right?

gallery_6534_363_95798.jpg

gallery_6534_363_149673.jpg

Thats a small tuber (~10cm) that was hanging from my vine showing the purple colour that I suspect would intensify as it gets bigger - havnt cut open a bigger one

Edited by poisonshroom

I'm far from an expert on the species. Looks right, but then again, a number of Dioscorea species might fit the bill in appearance for all I know. Have you eaten it?

Edit:

Look at this monster!

alata1r.jpg

Edited by tripsis

Havnt eaten it yet, but id like to try it some time (one of an ever expanding list of things I want to grow and try)

And holy crap thats a huge yam :o Imagine digging something like that out of a vegie patch - you could feed a family for a week! :lol:

I'm far from an expert on the species. Looks right, but then again, a number of Dioscorea species might fit the bill in appearance for all I know. Have you eaten it?

Edit:

Look at this monster!

alata1r.jpg

Are you sure that isn't the new monsanto elephant yam :lol:

Let me know when you have extra's; i'd be keen to get hold of D traversa as well.

Shall do shortly. So do you think what poisonshroom has is D. alata?

Yeah looks like what I bought as alata. Mine was seed grown,& ive never had any seed from it, so it wouldn't hurt to get a second clone to mix things up.

Still looking for D. transversa if anyone has it.

Edited by tripsis

Dioscorea transversa

Dioscoreaceae

Native Yam

midiny to Eorra people, wanka-parlu to Paakantyi people

Description

This vine has twining stems (2-4 m long) growing out of a tuber. Although the cylindrical tuber is rarely more than 10 mm in diameter, it grows deep into the soil. The heart-shaped leaves die back during the winter. The yam has separate male and female plants. Male flowers produce pollen and occur on spikes 3-6 cm long; female flower spikes are usually 10-20 cm long with tiny (2 mm), greenish flowers.

Where it is found

The Native Yam occurs in New South Wales on the northern and central coast and on the northern tablelands, chiefly in warmer rainforest and moist open forest north from the Sydney area. It also occurs in Queensland and the Northern Territory.

Uses

• A liquid made from the vine has been used in the treatment of skin cancer (Cherikoff & Isaacs 1990).

Yams are root vegetables found in loamy soil as well as on sand-dunes in far western New South Wales around Menindee. After a good season of rain they are plentiful. After finding the vegetation on the surface you then did underground to a foot deep to gather all the juicy roots. The roots can be eaten straight away, after brushing all the soil off.

Link