The Corroboree
ferret

Eating Amanita muscaria?

Im sure this is old news to some, but I did not realise A. muscaria has a history of being eaten as food around the world, apparently boiling them in water a few times and discarding the water is enough to leach out the muscimol and ibotenic acid. And sounds like they taste pretty good too!

this article is pretty cool, describes culinary use of the mushroom and methods of detoxification

A Study of Cultural Bias in Field Guide Determinations of Mushroom Edibility Using the Iconic Mushroom, Amanita muscaria, as an Example1

also mentions they are also eaten grilled in Japan, dried out and powdered for use as a umami type flavour enhancer, and boiled and stored in salt. (Although the grilling and drying methods does not remove toxic components.)

So, who here has eaten Fly's and how were they?

i have eaten some...tasted like bbq chicken...didn't detox first though lol

Very chewy and tasty (dried of course)

Has a chicken salt taste to them. Also un-detoxed.

I think they would go great on many italian dishes

Abandoned

Edited by dworx

eaten fresh they taste pretty good, but the stomach ache is not worth it. the flavour changes when dried, not for the better in my opinion, but the stomach ache is not so bad. haven't tried boiling them.

I've only had them as a tea and I must say I did not find it particularly pleasant. Perhaps cooked into a meal would be better.

A fellow forumer insisted they are a flavour enhancer 1000 times stronger than msg. They suggested. 1 finely diced teaspoon but i wasn't sure where in the cooking process to add it.