The Corroboree
hutch

Doctors warn about fatal ibuprofen link

Doctors warn about fatal ibuprofen link

DOCTORS have warned of a potentially fatal condition linked to ibuprofen which can be triggered by even a standard dose.

Renal tubular acidosis can lead to dangerously low levels of potassium in the blood, causing abnormal heart rhythms and the breakdown of muscle plus fatigue and paralysis.

"Excessive ingestion of ibuprofen, in combination with codeine or alone, can result in toxicity," Dr Jennifer Ng said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/doctors-warn-about-fatal-ibuprofen-link/story-e6frer4f-1226025035123

Ibuprofen codeine combination precipitating severe hypokalaemia in a patient with pre-existing type 1 renal tubular acidosis

A 36-year-old lady presented to the A&E with a 2-day history of generalized, severe progressive weakness of her limbs. Two days prior to her presentation, she had been exercising vigorously at the gym and subsequently developed muscle pain. In the hours following, she developed progressive weakness in her upper and lower limbs. She became unable to walk or stand. She described several previous episodes of leg weakness and numbness, especially at night, over a few months. On further questioning, she stated that she had been taking up to eight tablets of an ibuprofen codeine combination (200 mg + 12.8 mg respectively) everyday for 3 months for backache. She had been admitted previously with profound iron deficiency anaemia and weakness but mild hypokalaemia 19 months before, …

link

http://ndtplus.oxfordjournals.org/content/1/4/270.1.short

Ibruprofen use/misuse can also lead to hypertension and headache.

"Many physicians do not realize that daily OTC analgesics--especially NSAIDs--can cause secondary hypertension. (1-3) If the analgesics are not stopped, the blood pressure may remain elevated for months or years. Likewise, many physicians are not aware that the most common cause of chronic daily or almost daily headaches is the daily or almost daily use of medications for symptomatic relief of headache pain. (4)

The case history presented here documents how the failure to recognize these possibilities resulted in a patient having 5 1/2 years of daily prolonged headaches and taking unnecessary antihypertensive medications.

REBOUND HEADACHE

Rebound headache--also called chronic refractory headache, chronic migraine, transformed migraine, and a host of other names--typically presents as a constant, dull, tension-type headache with frequent superimposed more intense migrainelike attacks. (5) The patient uses pain relief medications daily or almost daily that only dull...".

Over-the-counter ibuprofen: a reversible cause of hypertension and headache.

`

Edited by Magicdirt

"Fuck the NSAIDs, I won't take any of them.

I don't believe that NSAIDs should be freely available over the counter either."

That's the big problem with pain preparation. All the non centrally acting pain relievers witch are available ATM (Paracetamol and NSAIDs) are so bloody toxic. Maybe aspirin or paracetamol are ok for occasional use? but a lot people of people need to use them more than occasionally. Opiates are not a great alternative either because not everyone likes to feel even mildly stoned all the time and once your body is dependent on them your quality of life tends to go down regardless of having enough drugs to keep you out of withdrawal IME.

We are in pretty desperate need of new and effective pain killers. Has anybody here heard of anything new and interesting in pain killer research and development?

• Like 1

Ibuprofen is also proven to cause bleeding in the GI tract in otherwise healthy people, apparently it only takes 3 days of use to cause bleeding.

Fuck the NSAIDs, I won't take any of them.

I don't believe that NSAIDs should be freely available over the counter either.

I take celebrex 200mg twice a day.......10 to 12 30mg codeine each day....If not I am reduced to tears.....people think I'm a grumpy prick now...

I haven't wanted to look too hard at my pain meds because everything else I have tried hasn't worked. I honestly didn't know celebrex was a NSAIDs. Maybe I just didn't want to know...

Might be time to re evaluate...doesn't seem to be too many other options...

What about acupuncture for pain relief, would that be an alternative possibly?

^^^

I know it has been shown to be effective and it is very popular but I don't think it is going to be able to replace a pain killing tablet. I have tried acupuncture and have also shared a student clinic with people learning acupuncture, so I have had a lot of people practice their acupuncture skills on me. I remember trying it for a tension headache and it provided no relief but an N+ did it in 20min of taking the tab. I have a little bit of an understanding of how it is supposed to work and it is probably way to complicated for the vast majority to do it for themselves anyway, I know I couldn't do it. So I can't see it replacing a pain killing tab.

Edited by Sonny Jim

I know [acupuncture] has been shown to be effective and it is very popular but I don't think it is going to be able to replace a pain killing tablet.

As far as I've read, there's negligible difference between "real" acupuncture, sham acupuncture (puncturing non-"real" locations ie placebo) and no acupuncture at all. It's great for the people who think it works for them but it won't stop a headache for a non-believer let alone the impractical nature of the activity already pretty much ruling it out for most uses of these mild pain-killing tablets.

Maybe we aren't reading the same things though. :)

Finally, scientists are now documenting with brain imaging studies and other high-tech tools how acupuncture arouses areas of the brain that register pain and are activated in recuperation...

Source

Fuck the NSAIDs, I won't take any of them

Easily said if you dont have an illness that causes chronic inflammation like Rheumatoid arthritis or Ankylosing spondylitis.

Sure NSAIDs have detrimental side effects particularly on the gastic, renal and blood thinning areas, but for some people they are the only effective option until better medications like TNF alpha blockers are more readily available. Increase the risk of heart attack as well. Most long term users were also found to have sustained (after finishing the NSAID) damage to their lower intestine.

Autoimmunity sucks LOL.

Easily said if you dont have an illness that causes chronic inflammation like Rheumatoid arthritis or Ankylosing spondylitis.

LOL i'm noticing that this a recurring theme on the forums. cunts who DON'T have the illness telling you that you don't need the medication in question. it really reeks of chatness.

of a similar vein, but a tad more forgivable, is people WITH the illness, telling you that you don't need a particular medication or therapy... all i can say is that although it's very likely that the majority of people have a common therapeutic response to a drug, there will always be individual differences.

don't forget that subtle differences in people's biology can cause substantial variations in response to drugs!

Autoimmunity sucks LOL.

oi have you tried other things such as immunomodulators? my ex has really bad eczema and all her dermatologists seemed to be complete retards - "use a good moisturiser and use corticosteroids sparingly". one night at like 1am my mind caught fire and i started reading up-to-date dermatology textbooks for 5 hours straight. by the end of this i discovered about 3 completely different drug treatments with DEMONSTRATED efficacy. i also found out about another 5 potential treatments but the efficacy wasn't very well established and more theoretical. cos we're not on speaking terms anymore i don't know if she's followed thru, but given that eczema involves autoimmunity it's more than likely you'll be able to find relevant things too. more generally tho, i think it's also psychologically therapeutic to take charge of your illness, no matter what it is, and explore all the therapies that aren't mainstream.

so i guess i'm suggesting that you try something similar: search on google books for textbooks that are uptodate on RA or ankylosing spondylitis. then once you've found a good book, type in the title of the textbook in google, then narrow your search by adding file:pdf and possibly clicking on only discussions. you'll be surprised at how many extremely good medical textbooks are available online in pdf format B)

re: accupuncture, my understanding (last time i read into it) was that real acupuncture and sham acupuncture have equal efficacy, and are better than no treatment. that is, there seems to be an analgesic effect in sticking pins into people's bodies, but that it doesn't matter if you jab them in the meridians or not.

Edited by faustus

I take celebrex 200mg twice a day.......10 to 12 30mg codeine each day....If not I am reduced to tears.....people think I'm a grumpy prick now...

I haven't wanted to look too hard at my pain meds because everything else I have tried hasn't worked. I honestly didn't know celebrex was a NSAIDs. Maybe I just didn't want to know...

You might consider hypnotherapy?

Hypnotherapy for chronic pain only works longterm to varying degrees for about 8% of ppl it still might be worth lookin into

Hutch, you do cold water extract the codeine from whatever else is contained in the tablets (assumedly paracetamol from panadeine fortes)?

What about acupuncture for pain relief, would that be an alternative possibly?

I've been having acupuncture directly followed by remedial massage every monday for the last 7 or 8 weeks and the muscle tension headaches and hip pain I'd been getting (and were unfortunately the reason I returned to a previously quit codeine habit) have now pretty much gone. The times I haven't been able to have an acupuncture with the - quite painfully deep - massage I'd end up with a lot more post-massage fatigue and headache. I definitely can't say what acupuncture would do for anything else, but it works wonders at least for muscle-related issues. I wanted to give acu a try for my addiction problem, but apparently you need to stand up for that, so I'll be trying something else.

200mg of celebrex is a fairly large dose to take on a regular basis. But on the bright side Celebrex is much less damaging to the internal organs than other NSAID's. Tell your doctor not to be a stingy big pharma whore & give you the steroids (oil not pills). That's of course if the pain is muscular related. Accelerated protein synthesis from steroids is not nearly as harmful as NSAID's when used on a short term basis. Cissus quadrangularis is also another favorite of mine for physical injuries.

Edited by muskrat

Damn, it's worse than I thought! Oh well, it looks like I'm going back to Panadeine then...

`

Edited by Magicdirt

would our grandfathers have done when faced with pain and inflammation ?

My Grandfather just sucked it up and got on with things.

damn straight he did B)

34751-mrs_winlsow_s_soothing_syrup_an_opium_derivative.jpg

Hutch, you do cold water extract the codeine from whatever else is contained in the tablets (assumedly paracetamol from panadeine fortes)?

No I don't....should I? Each tablet contains 500mg of paracetamol...

I have not taken anything for the last 2 days....there is a knife drilling into my shoulder blade and some invisible bastard keeps giving it a turn...I can now also feel my lower back starting to tighten up and I reckon by tomorrow I will have trouble straightening fully upright..

Fuck I hate my body falling apart...but karma hey......

I had an xray again on my back and lungs last week and I am seeing my G.P on Friday for the results...There will be nothing new to report and we will just keep going round like before...

Any suggestions from anyone of what I should be asking of him? His favorite line it seems when we want to trial something new is "it comes in a big box so it cant be too bad for you".....

I should also mention my BP is pretty high.... and I have been thinking that has more to do with my meds than any thing else....

I don't suppose there is anything that will help and not hinder.....