The Corroboree

. If you walk into a grove of bamboo as you would have hutch at the bamboo nursery the temp drops by about 5 degrees.

Doesn't it....just beautiful as well....on a shroom hunt yesterday and it was a stinker out in the paddocks. Took a break down in a gully by a stream with a large canopy of trees....We both commented on how much cooler it was under there...I went with him on my first trip to the bamboo nursery. It's funny how he said just yesterday "remember how much cooler it was at Bamboo land"...

small world we are living in...

abandoned

Edited by dworx

What is the best course to take when trying to get some bamboo to take. Would I plant it in a pot where it can be pampered and protected from wind , sun and cold ( and plant it out once established) or do I just wack it in the ground and let the bamboo rough it a bit?

Edited by Amazonian

either will work but growth will not be eveidant untill the soil temp is 25deg but some are not real hardy and like to be pampered..

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx

Excellent information on the techniques for bamboo propagation, not that the rest isn't good too, I'm just keen on expanding what I have into larger areas.

If there's plenty of water but it's getting cold, as it is here in SA, will the bamboo still grow? I'm not sure of the species unfortunately as I'm pretty sure there

is a lot of variation. It is quite thick, possibly 4cm diameter. I have another two that are thinner, they seem to still be growing now just slower than before.

I'm not too worried if I don't get heaps of growth til it's warmer just don't want to damage them if they're going to die from the colder weather.

Cheers

abandoned

Edited by dworx

Thanks dworx, I won't do it for a while then. I'll have to wait until the end of winter and it looks like it could be a long cold and wet one so

I appreciate the advice. I'll do some in pots and some straight in the ground. Can't wait to have heaps more bamboo, it's so useful.

I'll have to get a book on bamboo to improve my ID skills, it's definitely a weak area in plant ID for me.

Cheers

Edited by Sola

abandoned

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx

nice woodrose in that photo too! -edit here- It not I will love getting up into the 36m [if brandisii] culms, lol

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx

I started making a Bamboo Tiki Bar today for a very good friend who wanted to spend their 40th in Bali but couldn't make it.

She is away until Wednesday & im not sure ill get it completed by then, i will post a couple of pics of the progress if anyone is interested

I started making a Bamboo Tiki Bar today for a very good friend who wanted to spend their 40th in Bali but couldn't make it.

She is away until Wednesday & im not sure ill get it completed by then, i will post a couple of pics of the progress if anyone is interested

Yes mac...I am..love to see what you come up with....bamboo has that feel about it....

I have the main frame sorted im using plain old brown (hemp) string & some gap sealer over the top of the string to give it some strength (a resin would be more traditional), with another layer of string over the top

Will post a pic of the frame if i can fing the recharger for my camera :blush:

I just went back over the thread but couldn't find what I was looking for so I may have read it somewhere else but was it 6 weeks before the end of winter the ideal time to take cuttings....I'm going to rape and pillage mine but want to give them the best shot...

Do you know Dworx?....also a friend was telling me that if a bamboo plant is 99 years old and you take a cutting, the cutting will only live for one more year as the mother plants life span is but 100 years and that includes all cuttings taken...I haven't been able to confirm that...anybody heard that before?

abandoned

Edited by dworx

Hutch I have never heard that. I have heard similar things but more in relation to certain runners. [Phyllostachys ??spelling] Re: taking cutting yes it was six weeks before the end of winter but in reality as it starts warming up and ground temps head towards 25deg celsius, each cutting will have enough energy reserve to last six weeks into warmth of the soil and mulching really help in that six weeks.

Ta....

abandoned

Edited by dworx

Dworx, could you run your eye over this cutting for me when you have a minute...

th_bamboocuttings003.jpg

th_bamboocuttings004.jpg

I was about plant it in a bucket but it is about 100 mm too long....need to get myself some bags...anyway I was going to plant it half way up the small branch which would be at least an inch.....would it matter that mine has so many branches that I have had to trim off?

also, just thought I would show what a newly opened bag of compost can look like....I must admit I rarely use gloves or a mask but I did with this one...

th_bamboocuttings005.jpg

Looks like an eternal organ from a cow or something...well I have bung eyes....

http://s930.photobuc...boo%20cuttings/

Thanks in advance...

Hutch