The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Poppy seedlings

Hi guys,

Having an issue with my P. somniferum seedlings.

They germinated ok, but they haven't grown much since then (only one set of tiny leaves past the cotyledons).

I'm worried, the cotyledons have gone yellow.

Is this natural? Soil too damp? I've been letting it dry off to about an inch downwards then watering lightly.

Help! I can't lose these seedlings

it;s a good time to plant therm now is it to get ready for spring?

thanx

aaron

I planted some Persian White's 2 weeks ago in my backyard and they started germinating after 1 week and have slowly popped up more and more over the past week.

I believe it is a little bit late, you are meant to plant mid-autumn for a spring harvest, but I only just moved to this new place and couldn't plant any earlier.

We have just started getting frost here, so it would probably be a little too late for me to try and plant any more. Don't know if it's that cold where you are yet though psycho.

Wait, it says Melbourne. :P Yep, I bet it is that cold!

Maybe you should wait till spring.

You can plant in spring or autumn, then harvest it 2 seasons later.

Hope that's helpful for ya. :)

apo, thats nutrient deficancy, go and fert!

i would water them well and than use seedlings strengh liquid (so it reaches the plant fast) fertilizer.

yellow leaves are always a sign of nutes deficancy, prol mainly nitrogen.

once the start flowering change over to bloom fert!

yeah, feed them. they are gross feeders.

In a book i have on Poppy stuff incl agronomy it says that there are many thinsg donew t enhance yield of alks

'incl...

Prechilling the seed before planting at 2-6C can increase alk of plants by 26%

also seed sheld for 8 days at 30C in solution of CaCl2 and Kcl gave plants flowering 2-3 days later with smaller seeds but 15-25% more morphine

NPK ratio 2:1:1 200kg n/ha, 100kg P 100kg N give best results.

alkaloid biosynthesis highly dependent on N nutrition (diret relationship demonstarted)

Splitting ferts into 3 applications at sowing, flowering and initiation gave best yields

Foliar feeding with urea gave significant results using 3% solution at 4 day intervals.

Micronutriuent important particularly boron.

perhaps a weak application of sodium borate (borax) at sowing

pH 7 optimal

Calcium important esp useful as Dolomitic limestone (Mg and Ca)

also Cu, Fe, Mg,Mn, Mo and Zn gave effect

(perhaps turning in micronutrient fortified compost 5 week prior to sowing plus iron chelate or Fe sulphate foliar feed in veg phase)

Irrigated plants contain more alks than unirrigated. moisture sterss has adverse affect on alk contents

Morphine content peaks 15-20 days after flowering but other alks have not reached highest conc.

gamma irradiation of seeds can increase viability

In shaded plants morphine formation is inhibited and sometimes disappears altogether

injured plants can produce more morphine than unmolested plants

I have used compost from my compost bins and never had a problem with nutes. I sprinkle seed, and mist daily for 3-5 minuites untill plants are about to go cabbage, then i just water every now and then.

I have no idea how good this is for alkaloid production though, as i have never enjoyed these for anything other than looking at the flowers.

Basically, all my plants get their whole lives is compost and water :) - works for me.

will frost kill my new poppie seedlings???

getting freakin cold here now!!

thanks

jono

quote:

I have no idea how good this is for alkaloid production though.

prob OK

compost if you mean a hot composted material

(eg pile up and it heats up and you rurn a few times etc) shold have a good N ratio as its required for thermogenesis

you could add a little extra N in makeup eg more chook shit, urea or otherwise and possibly make it better

Im not truly certain but i thought cardboard hade boron in it? boron nitride as part of the coating

if so shredded cardboard in teh raw materals would add extra of this element (good for poppies and citrus)

as for poppies n frost

they dont care about frost unless its hard

maybe as seedlings theyll be ok

you can always cover them up at night to stop frost settling on them

quote:

Hardiness: USDA Zones 7 - 10. Opium poppy is an annual that can tolerate frost as a seedling.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/papa_som.cfm

I miss my poppies :( Fantastic winter and spring plant in WA

But theres no rain here in winter and spring

*sigh*

I planted a full pack of seeds.

Only three had time to germinate before the ants got them.

Then two got attacked by that fungus that puts a kink in their stem and they lost the leaves.

Then I had a surprise germination which VANISHED. It was there in the morning, gone that night.

The high N fert seems to have done the trick, the yellowing didn't progress up the seedling, though the tiny leaves aren't as dark as a green that I'm comfortable with ...

It's slowly getting bigger, thanks for the help all and hopefully it will get big enough to provide me with enough seed to plant a bigger crop next season :)