The Corroboree
krazykungfu

Winter is depressing...

The name says it all - worst season of the year IMO, and although we're not even out of summer my thoughts have been dragged forward to it's baron nothing growing gloominess...

So to keep myself entertained I want to play Frankenstein and do some interesting grafting, soooo does anyone have a personal tried and true method of maintaining active growth throughout this season?

Is it the length of light cycles? The ambient temperature? what is it that makes cacti go "I'm happy - I'm going to keep growing"

I found this thread Growing Cacti Indoors Through Winter and the basics I got out of it were 30 degree ambient and 16 hours of light, but the thread is 4 years old and things change in the world of cacti as fast as they do in computing! (maybe not quite but...)

Anyone got their own reliable method they wish to share?

Cheers

but its not winter ? i fkn luv winter, a chance to go overseas, fuck the plants off and have a gud time? do it

Learn to grow mushrooms. They'll keep you well occupied during winter. Or travel, as blowng suggested.

It sure is! I'm so glad Spring is almost here for us (U.S.)!

Is it the length of light cycles? The ambient temperature? what is it that makes cacti go "I'm happy - I'm going to keep growing"

my personell opinon is that, high daytime temperatures will keep pedros growing even if they experience some morning frosts.

but they stopp growing if daytime temps don't climb very high, even if the nights are frost free or mild.

I'm surprised there aren't more of you growing hydroponically. I know it's not practical for big plants that require planting in-ground, but most small-medium sized plants flourish in a Hydro medium.

Get yourself a 400W ballast, Metal Halide & High Pressure Sodium bulbs, or at least a bank of Flouro's, and you're all set for summer-growth right through winter.

..Pyrethrum too. Indoors, one bug soon turns into thousands.

Learn to grow mushrooms. They'll keep you well occupied during winter. Or travel, as blowng suggested.

I'll sencond that. hours of fun for all the family. and lots of yummy produce .

yummmmmmm

Cheers, Obtuse.

Just dont grow those mushrooms indoors, thats a recipe for disaster.

Winters not so bad for cacti, gives you time to get seedlings going strong under lights and some cacti wont even flower unless they cool off to a certain temp in winter. So in winter the cacti hobby marches on. As for winter in general, yeah it sucks.. I'm with teotz- bring on spring! (just 3.5 weeks til equinox :D)

@krazy why not graft two bridgesii together and two pachanoi together and two macrogonus together and keep them trimmed so they stay even in height and see if the graft pairs flower the same day so they have a automatic breeding buddy? If it worked it'd be pretty cool. Could also graft two separate species together in an attempt to synchronize flowering in case you wanted loads and loads of seed for a particular cross.

I've already got a holiday planned for when plants are actually growing - what a stoopid idea!

Mushrooms sound like a worthwhile time killer :shroomer: - I always just assumed it would be indoors though - so what's with

Just dont grow those mushrooms indoors, thats a recipe for disaster

Doesn't that mean you're at the mercy of the seasons again if you're outdoors??

Maybe I'll just try and stop playing god :scratchhead:

Nah - that's no fun... some hydro medium, high daytime temps and heaps of lighting will give me something to look forward to! (and something to sit next to the mushrooms)

With the grafting I got some peruvian, pachanoi, and bridgesii I can play with but only the pachanoi has a few different sets of genes - the rest are all from the one stock so how does that work with the grafting and flowering? The flowering is caused by...?

Cause I've only seen my lot do their thing once and I'm sure it was in the summer months but I could be wrong.....? :blink:

There are inherent health risks with growing mushrooms indoors, but despite that, that's where most people grow them. You can do it outdoors too and will end up with distinctly different looking mushrooms.

Unless you have a completely controlled environment, you're always at the mercy of the seasons. So in winter, you grow cool weather mushrooms. In summer, hot weather mushrooms. You just have to control humidity and air flow.

If you grow mushrooms indoors your exposed to the spores enough so you eventually (usually 3-5 years) become allergic to that species or genus, allergies ranging anywhere from runny nose to life threatening shit. In the mushroom industry, even with dust masks and rubber gloves, the employee turnover is several years due to allergies forming.

Dude dont stop playing god... if you stop doing what anyone calls 'playing god' soon you cant even buy milk and you have to suck it straight from the cow and then you get arrested for indecency! :P

LOL @ sucking milk straight from a cow.

Also I wasn't aware that one can become allergic to mushrooms from exposure to their spores. How interesting!

If you grow mushrooms indoors your exposed to the spores enough so you eventually (usually 3-5 years) become allergic to that species or genus, allergies ranging anywhere from runny nose to life threatening shit. In the mushroom industry, even with dust masks and rubber gloves, the employee turnover is several years due to allergies forming.

Dude dont stop playing god... if you stop doing what anyone calls 'playing god' soon you cant even buy milk and you have to suck it straight from the cow and then you get arrested for indecency! :P

The best thing about winter is studying hundreds and hundreds of subs drying in your closet, for microscopy purposes only!;) Great time to go overseas too, South America is always hot, and theirs good aya their!

im tired of being a plant slave lol, i really have bitten off more than i can chew cacti seedling wise,and hell im lookin forward to winter for them to be not so needy and i can have a blast off freakin holiday :P

Also I wasn't aware that one can become allergic to mushrooms from exposure to their spores. How interesting!

Yeah i was amazed too when i found out. i met a woman who worked at a local mushroom farm and she had to quit her job because she developed an allergy, she wasnt very impressed about it.

certainly made me think about it in a bit more depth.

cheers, Obtuse.