The Corroboree
J Smith

Consultation on implementation of model drug schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences

I keep getting the feeling that we have the most pathetic and ridiculous government in the world. Anybody else?

SAVE OUR NATURAL PLANTS

STOP THE GOVT. PROPOSED LEGISLATION

Edited by synchromesh

Funny though, ballzac, you hit the nail on the head. This community is intelligent, and is passionate, thats what could make us dangerous (for want of a better word) to the ruling establishment...

Grin. First fucker coming fir my plants gets beaten with a club of kk242, couple of the pups are a good size for hurling too!

Edited by gilligan

zac are you going to be making your submission available for others to use? is it necessary that everyone modify it?

a simple question whose answer wasn't as forthcoming as i thought it would be: how do you make a submission? does it have to be physically sent in with a physical signiature?

zac are you going to be making your submission available for others to use? is it necessary that everyone modify it?

I'm quite happy for others to use my submission, but I would caution against using it as is. The reason being that I have spent a fair portion of it debunking/criticising general prohibitionist myths. The occasional well written, research supported article may not do any damage, but for the reasons Torsten has already covered, I think it could be damaging if too many people provide a submission with much focus on this.

I will provide what I have done so far. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to get it finished to the standard I would like as I am starting my own research project on Monday. The main thing I need to do at the moment is find more evidence in the form of research papers. An example would be where I have used evidence based on alcohol prohibition that is applicable to other prohibition. It would look much better if I had relevant research on, for example, heroin prohibition. I also need to fix up some of the references, as some only have title and author and will need either journal name edition etc. or web address and date accessed.

Most importantly, if you're going to use any of it, make sure you read it thoroughly and only use those parts that you agree with and feel are helpful. Do not blindly copy and paste. Check the references. Just because you've been given license to use my work doesn't mean you don't have a personal responsibility to make sure the submission you provide is accurate and helpful. I will provide what I have done so far as is. I know there are claims that need to be removed due to lack of supporting evidence, and some sections may need to be rewritten for clarity. If anyone is looking for a submission that they can just send in with their name attached, this is not it. The reason I am providing it 'as is', is that I am not sure when I am going to have it finished, and if I provide it here last minute, anyone who wants to use it is not going to have time to verify references, remove sections etc. I will upload a pdf, latex, and bibtex file soon. In the mean time, feel free to use any sections of the previous pdf I have uploaded, as the current one I'm on is not a great improvement on that one anyway.

a simple question whose answer wasn't as forthcoming as i thought it would be: how do you make a submission? does it have to be physically sent in with a physical signiature?

If you would like to make a submission, please forward your submission no later than 11 March 2011 to [email protected]

Here are the files as promised:

Submission.zip

If there's a problem, let me know.

I must stress that you should not use this submission as is. Many sections do not have sufficient supporting evidence to be used in this style of submission. It has not been thoroughly proof-read for spelling, grammar etc. Some sections may lack cohesion, as I'm still midway in writing some.

If anyone is planning on using large parts of this submission, references and all (or even for your own 'from scratch' submission), I'd suggest using latex. If you've never used it before, it's not that hard to use if you have a basic template (which my submission sort of is). Just follow the rules I've used for citing in the .tex file, which refers to references contained in the .bib file. To use latex on linux:

sudo apt-get install texlive

sudo apt-get install kile

kile is the actually front end gui that you use to edit the latex file and compile the pdf. I can't remember exactly how to set up latex on windows, but similarly you need a front end and a backend. I believe I used to use miktex as the frontend on windows. It's pretty easy to find instructions online.

The reason I suggest using latex is that it automatically renumbers the sections and references to them. For example, you delete section 3, and suddenly what WAS section 4 is now section 3. A line that said "as discussed in section 4" will now read "as discussed in section 3". Also automatically numbers references, subsections etc. Makes it very easy to focus on the content as latex takes complete care of the formatting.

Submission.zip

Submission.zip

well it's great that you're going to all this effort :worship: even if i remove everything to do with prohibition, there are still lots of important points being made.

Thanks man :) Also, if anyone does see any aspects that they feel need changing, let me know. It's a fairly long submission to be trying to proof-read by myself. I can probably take care of spellcheck, lol, but anything like false claims, ambiguity, or if any parts sound emotional rather than detached, would be good to be made aware of. Also, if anyone finds any references that support any currently unsupported claims, these would also be good to be made aware of.

EDIT: Another thing to be careful of - to point out the obvious - is that if you remove some sections, and parts of other sections that refer to the deleted sections cannot be used, or must be altered. Probably much better to start with nothing, and add bits that you want to use, rather than start with the whole thing and delete what you don't want to use.

Edited by ballzac

Hi everyone,

Just a note to let you know that some of us from the Sydney Evolver Spore group have been working on a couple things in response to the proposed legislation.

Firstly, the Attorney General's office has stated that they will not be making submissions publicly available even though that is normal practice during government consultations. We've created a website where people can upload a copy of their submissions (anonymously if desired) so that there is a public record of as many responses as we can get. This means that people looking to write submissions can see what other people have already written and also, once the AGs office comes up with their final proposed legislation we will be able to evaluate how adequately it reflects public sentiment.

The site is at http://opendecisions.net

There are only a few submissions up so far but hopefully as more people finish theirs the collection will grow. If you've worked out a submission please consider recording it here. We'll be contacting groups supportive of and opposed to the proposed legisilation so hopefully it will be a fair indication of public opinion on this.

Secondly, we are organising a screening of 'DMT the spirit molecule' in Sydney next Wednesday 23rd Feb to raise awareness about these new laws. I've just posted details in the News and Notices forum (http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26998). Hopefully some of you might be come along and join in the conversation.

I've been following discussions on this issue in some other forums but have only just read through the posts here tonight. Its great to see so much fruitful discussion and I hope you guys find the website idea useful!

• Like 2

A question regarding submissions...if a submission is made without a name (anonymously), will it still be counted?

My assumption would be that a name needs to be provided, but you could request that your submission remain anonymous should it be published. The latter part - i.e. that you can request to remain anonymous - is mentioned in a lot of similar consultation pages, but not this one strangely. I figure that if your name is included then they have to count it as a submission, but they couldn't publish it with your name attached if you request otherwise. I don't think they could accept it anonymously simply because then anyone could send in hundreds of submissions anonymously.

Of course, I really have no idea, so best wait for someone who actually knows :blush:

Nah dudes this is what we need!

Think laterally like a plant starts out,then linearly.

Not that other tripe that's feeding the same fucking propaganda by doing the same thing that never works AGAIN,repeat AGAIN...that's officially "madness"....to me straight off the bat I can see our new member swarb looking at this from a different angle but still upward and onward.

In the back of my mind I've been thinking, especially considering when I was born, and the acceleration of "advancement" , AND our overall never ending need for freedom.Yep FREEDOM!....the same bloody fight. Why is this shit still going on!?

Scarey to some...that's the bloody honest truth!

Apocolyptic movies came out,apparent hidden secrets never before shown,9/11,E.T's,The apparent :wink:) Shroud of Turin,the doubts man....I debate this stuff with a Darwinist/supremacist,Catholic/-Hater/self-confessed Asshole ALL the time LOL, because it expands our awareness and brings new stuff to the table. We both want change....in our own way,but yeah.

When did the spike of interest in the "Illuminati" really kick of for the general public?

A BLOODY MOVIE or 5 not long ago!

Look where it's gone dudes...one slice in life-time....I remeber as I was once playing space invaders,Dad was an ex-Masonic and lovin every second of life, now I'm supposed to be shit scared of them and the American Bill.Dad's gone..too late to ask,but I love him and he seeded me I'm certain.

This is where "The Spirit Molecule" movie will fit in and I've been thinking the same thing the whole time since it's conception to be released as a movie.

If this is too much then risk your life and take some headache tablet or aim the universe.....it's safer on the physical body and brain unlike SSRI's,Benzo's.....yada yada no pun intended.

Ya's probably think I'm whacky,taken too many trips Benzo's or some shit.....well that aint the truth at all.

The truth is I haven't taken enough psychedelics.

Just BIG doses and few.....I dunno I just keep getting this feeling that the worm in front of me over this proposal has a hook.

Swarb.

I like your idea to catalog the submissions.

Could you put a post on the GetUp! thread to catch the folk there who might like to know about it?

thanks for the flyers,

may have a go at a more black and white friendly version this evening if i can figure out how to change colours in photos in gimp

How's this?

post-1298-0-16460700-1298162040_thumb.jp

I inverted the black and white as well. It'll save ink, and should come out okay on coloured paper. Might be better with something a bit simpler for black and white though.

EDIT: Like this maybe?

post-1298-0-08525000-1298163760_thumb.jp

Surely there are people here with better graphic design skills than me? I think if a flyer is to be of any use it's gotta be reasonably eye-catching.

flyerbw.jpg

flyerbw2.jpg

flyerbw.jpg

flyerbw2.jpg

Edited by ballzac

yeah sort of,

i just thought the colour one was a little busy for my taste,

eye catching doesn't have to mean cluttered,

actually i thought a better picture for the background would be a

wattle sprig/flower photod on a white background,

something like this (but without the watermark)

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1141/1141,1221192633,1/stock-photo-australian-wattle-acacia-blooms-isolated-on-white-background-with-clipping-path-17276530.jpg

i can't find one without a watermark on the web, and i don't have the available means to do it myself,

if someone has the means/opportunity it'd be cool to have one,

i was just thinking the wattle may appeal to peoples idea of "australian values under threat" than a brugmansia flower,

but thats just me..

• Like 1

also if one could be done with a trich as a background would maybe cater to different audiences,

cacti growers may not care about wattles so much and vice versa,,

just a few ideas i guess

Good points man.

Anyone know what the laws are about using images without permission for non-commercial purposes? I've made the assumption that any of our members here would be okay with using photos from the gallery, but can an image from the web be used?

not sure about that one, just did a quick search and found this:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

pretty much says that you should assume it's copyrighted and could be held legally accountable whether using it commercially or not,

granted someone has to find out first but it would be best to get permission no matter what as any fall back would land on gardenfreedom.com

and i don't think anyone wants that

as far as member gallery goes probably would be courteous at least to request permission, i'm certain it would be granted freely,,

Is this more the sort of thing you had in mind?

post-1298-0-81798900-1298178206_thumb.jp

It's a bit more elegant than the other one. Do you have a subscription to the website you got the image from? I assume not considering it's watermarked. They say that all their images are royalty free. Without a subscription they are watermarked. They say that you can alter their images to use but they retain ownership...do you think that means the watermark can be removed and it's still royalty free even though you haven't paid for a subscription?

Anyway, if you like this version, the image could easily be replaced with a different one if one was found.

EDIT: Changed "for" and "sake" to lowercase. Left "Nature" capitalised as it comes across a little more personal and affectionate I believe.

EDIT2: Actually, just realised a lot of words were randomly capital in the text. I think if we want credibility, we need to look professional, so I don't think it's quibbling to get these things perfect. I agonised a little over Government and minister, but think it's right with capital 'G' and lowercase 'm' in that context. Hmmm, now I'm looking at "Federal" and "Attorney-General"...I have NFI :blink:

newflyer5.jpg

newflyer5.jpg

Edited by ballzac

haha, brilliant,

thats exactly what i had in mind, good work

i don't have a subscription, i just searched google images,

actually i didn't even take notice of where the image came from,

$50 seems a it rich for just one photo (actually 5 but i only want one)

Anyone know what the laws are about using images without permission for non-commercial purposes? I've made the assumption that any of our members here would be okay with using photos from the gallery, but can an image from the web be used?

You should never use any image without the express permission of the creator, regardless of whether it's for commercial or noncommercial purposes.

A good source of available images is Flickr's Creative Commons search - all my photos are available under a non-commercial license. If you want to use one of mine just contact me and I will send you a high res version.

http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

Thanks occidentalis. Having a look at flickr/creativecommons now :)

Oh, and Yeti, may I use your brug photo...pretty please :innocent_n:

The great thing about the image qualia found is that it shows a couple of sprigs in their entirity against a white background. Also, there's an aesthetic about it that's perfect for this kind of thing. I'm having trouble finding anything similar with a cc non-commercial license.