The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Presidente Hillbillios

Dehydrators

Well i was thinking since the Aussie dollar is so good against the US dollar at the mo. Maybe its time for a new dehydrator? My old one has melted all its trays a couple of years ago and i have been pesisting with it although id love something a bit better with adjustable temperature too.

So What do you guys have and what do you suggest? My old one was an old k-tel style no frills- junkerama special, but now im looking at an Excalibur either 5 or 9 tray.

WOW that is a seriously flash toy :drool2:

Go for the 9 tray

No matter how big your unit is you never seem to have enough room.

Every time you have a glut of fruit or a decent sized batch of jerky you'll be glad you did.

Funny you should ask. Aldi just released a dehydrator yesterday. Should be on sale for the week, or until they sell out. http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_16553.htm

I remember hearing about them the last time they had these dehydrators and apparently they're not too bad, especially if you consider that they're only $40 :o . They're variable temperature, unlike the k-tel cheapo ones. The downside, I recall, is that they don't get hot enough to do good jerky, but for fungi and fruit, she's beaut.

I have a sunbeam, bought it for like $100 but I was in a desperate hurry and i'd do it again if I had to :P

Good model though, 3 different temps and 5 trays I think...

Not worth the price though.

Also using a 5-tray 3-heat Sunbeam. Picked it up for $70 and I reckon it was a worthy enough investment.

fghjd

Edited by Teljkon

i was just looking at a nesco, they look awessome for the money. I dont know if they have em in 240 volts for the Aussie supply though. I think if thaey have a 240 volt one that will be the one ill get.

http://www.nesco.com/category_449f7f01f1ea/subcategory_39febe0b9343/product_d633d5c130a1/session_79f7f140913c/

but now im looking at an Excalibur either 5 or 9 tray.

I've got one like that, probably same manufacturer, different badge, and it's been really good

I can get 3kg sliced cow dried into yummy jerky in a session. I just wish tomatoes didn't lose so much of their volume when they dry or I'd use it more often

ask on freecycle?

i just picked one up off there.