Newcastle Baths

Cooling off

Spiritsinthepark2-2.jpg

New Years Eve 2010

Waratah

Summoned

Edited by Slybacon
  • Like 1

We have one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world in Newcastle Zen so it is for sure.

A bloke get sucked out of that pool one time.

They empty the pool to clean it once a week(I think it's Thursday) and they sound a several warnings over the PA for people to get out.

After all the warnings a lifeguard came around with a megaphone and told him to get out but he refused.

They let the water out and it sucked him into a grate and smashed a few of his teeth.

We used to go and wait in newcastle baths on big surf days and sit in the dry tubes on the ocean side. Would actually make for a great shot, I'll have to investigate this....

Here are some more snaps from NY day and a couple from today. It really was a sunny sky that day and a good test for our first SLR. Doesn't surprise me about our suncancer rate here in newy.

DSC_0527.png

New Years Day 2011

Newcastle Beach

Not as many as you would have thought

DSC_0559.png

New Years Day 2011

Newcastle Baths

Seagull Aura

DSC_0542.png

New Years Day 2011

Nobbies Lighthouse

Shot from Newcastle Baths

SSC_0168.jpg

January 3rd 2011

Newcastle Breakwall

Storm Watch

SSC_0176.jpg

January 3rd 2011

Newcastle Breakwall

ready for home

Edited by Slybacon
  • Like 1

great photo's!

Good photo's Sly - Im overseas and man I forget how blue the sky is. No chance of skin cancer where I am. Maybe strontium90 poisoning.

Spectacular part of the world - Never been there though but drove past a few times in a hurry to get to sydney or further up. My mate moved there for a few years and loved the beaches and the birds, but he reckons people were a little 'cliche' which I assume means he had trouble making friends there or something.

What's the fishing like??

Great pics Slybacon! I love living here and the people are a bit 'cliche' mostly the aggressive bogans, though good company can be easy to come by, great beaches, beautiful people and..

Zen the fishing is great... Stockton breakwall you can pick up some nice Snapper, Flathead, Bream not to mention those slimey bastard eels. Certain parts of the harbor hold home to some BIG Mulloway if you get the moons right and fish in the run out tide I've seen only a couple in my lifetime and only caught one and they fight like hell mine was about 50cm, ones I've seen guys pick up in the harbor have pushed 175cm. If you have a boat there are some nice man made reef structures off Stockton where the bonito run hard just watch out for leather jackets biting of your gear bloody razor teeth, put down a squid jig on a clear sky day. And always hit the tackle shops up for locations where the fishing is going off

Just sharing a story now.... Me and my uncle were fishing about 20km of Stockton in his 12ft deep hulled Quintrex tinny with a 70hp Yamaha, using 50lb braid on light gear just hoping for some nice snapper and hooked something big that started pulling the boat, going for massive 20 minute runs with his reel screaming i had to pull my gear up and drive the boat to maneuver this beast closer. He had about 20ft of line out and the boat had been towed 30kms around the ocean, driven about 10km... On its last run the reel started over heating and the braid snapped, to this day I'm convinced it was either a big Spanish mack or some other non jumping game fish. Excuse my french but fuck it was quick......

love my fishin

I forget how blue the sky is.

Nothing like a Polaroid filter on your camera lense to bring out the blue and cut the glare. Failing this you can always shoot thru your sunnies.

What's the fishing like??

My friends catch alot of big flat head and jew fish. I'm not a big fisherman but Im hoping to change that in 2011. :)

Thanks for the comments guys. Photography is a new interest of mine. I'm not very good at it yet but hopefully u can get a glimpse of the world from my view.

Keep the stories coming :) they inspire more ideas about newcastle. I need some fishing shots

Edited by Slybacon

Needed a wider angle lens on this day, couldn't quite capture the whole ship. Made for some interesting colour in the photos, there were all sorts of greens in the sky.

1.jpg

January 5th 2011

Horseshoe Beach

"Full Comfort"

2-1.jpg

January 5th 2011

Horseshoe Beach

2 Steps Forward 1 Step Backward

4.jpg

January 5th 2011

Horseshoe Beach

Past the Breakwall

3-1.jpg

January 5th 2011

Horseshoe Beach

Not a small piece of Newcastle

5.jpg

January 5th 2011

Horseshoe Beach

Full Flight

6.jpg

January 5th 2011

Horseshoe Beach

Surge

7.jpg

January 5th 2011

Horseshoe Beach

"NY NY"

8.jpg

January 5th 2011

Nobbies Lighthouse

Lumpy Delivery

Edited by Slybacon

Nice. Do spanish macks go that far south? I caught one a few years back up at Cooktown FNQ and it was an awesome fish - my reel actually smoked and the sucker nearly got eaten by a big groper on the way in, and I tell you it was the nicest fish ive ever eaten other than Barra. If they do regularly come down that low I might book my next holiday up your way as Id love to catch more of those guys.

I dont mind leathers either, nice and creamy to eat.

Yeah that is some BLUE sky mate. Its a good sign. Have a look at the sky in the inner city and its more a dull brown grey. Thats why i moved up into the hills.

Tonight im going blackfishing with a mate in a local creek - not quite as exciting but fun all the same.

Some of the other fishing Ive done was over in central america for Milkfish, Tarpin and Bone fish in the water flats. Yanks love it over there, many had spent $3000 on equipment for this one type of fishing. The tarpin where scary looking fish - like a couta or a mackeral but with longer teeth and a more angry look if that is possible. I tried for them when they were in the water near where we were staying as you can see their eyes with a torch at night like a barra, but the moment my gear hit the water they disappeared and there was 30 of them easily. Oh well...

nice pics sly :) aaahhhh good old newi! is getting my nostalgia cranking mate!

Just sharing a story now.... Me and my uncle were fishing about 20km of Stockton in his 12ft deep hulled Quintrex tinny with a 70hp Yamaha, using 50lb braid on light gear just hoping for some nice snapper and hooked something big that started pulling the boat, going for massive 20 minute runs with his reel screaming i had to pull my gear up and drive the boat to maneuver this beast closer. He had about 20ft of line out and the boat had been towed 30kms around the ocean, driven about 10km... On its last run the reel started over heating and the braid snapped, to this day I'm convinced it was either a big Spanish mack or some other non jumping game fish. Excuse my french but fuck it was quick......

love my fishin

um, i guess braid would of been cut a lot quicker depending on what size trace you had etc, but... i think it's around octoberish... juvenile great whites feed off stockton in pretty large numbers... just putting it out there :)

Yeah zen his reel smoked, I've never really heard about too many Spaniards being caught and if they are they're pretty far off the coast, my uncle went for a fishing charter trip up FNQ, and brought back some of the tastiest coral trout, marlin steaks and a fair bit of Spanish Mackerel he caught while his fishing 'party' was in their cabins..

and thanks paradox, never hinted it could have been a juvenile shark. none the less some great fishing.

Slybacon I am absolutely loving the horseshoe beach photographs, especial 'full flight' and 'surge', I can tell you have a love for photography and your getting good :lol:

Thanks again for the kind words. Only 3 days of holidays left for me to get some more shots. Its nice to know my photos inspire the imagination a little so feel free to leave any newcastle stories here.

Today I took some wide angle landscape shots using an 18mm lens. Really beautiful lighting this afternoon. Here is 4 snaps of the passing showers. More to come later on, Im patching together a large panorama now.

NewcastleSkyline06012010.jpg

Rainbow.jpg

NewcastleSkylinefromnobbies06012010.jpg

FortScratchley.jpg

Stockton06012010.jpg

BreakwallPassingShowers.jpg

AnotherdaysetsonIndustry.jpg

Edited by Slybacon

Yeah the span Mack I caught hit like a tonne of bricks out of the blue and the reel just smoked - it was a pretty hefty fight mate. Big teeth and tasted great - white meat but oily like atlantic salmon or trout.

Mate they reckon coral trout tastes best done the chinese way with shallots, ginger and garlic.

I love barra with hollandaise and avocado slices.

three hours blackfishing and all i caught was a shitload of mozzies biting tonight

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

I'm loving this thread, can't wait to see the panorama Sly.

And sorry to hear there was no luck with the fishing zen, get yourself some bushman's to keep away those mozzies works a charm and no oils spoil your bait :lol:

is that glenrock? ^^^ man i love that place... is a cool walk all the way down the coast from mereweather all the way through to redhead... just lush & much of ethno interest along the way :)

Yep thats glenrock. Its an amazing place, considering you can walk there from newcastle city, and then lose yourself in the bush. Can't wait to get back there again.

Wow a lot of beautiful photos, Sly :D

Lovin' the pics. Intense colors. It looks like you are really enjoying your new SLR. I can also tell that your dog is much loved and a part of your family. Its great.:)

WaratahStationonBW.jpg

New Years Day 2011

Ahh, Waratah Station! Good memories from that place.

Especially the one where I got my nose split open by 10 15 yr olds.

Lovely place!

Haha. Sorry mate, your pics are fantastic!

BTW I live in Waratah West across the road from the Uni!

How trippy were the Christmas lights coming from Waratah Village!!