The Corroboree
LikeAshesWeFade

Importing Kanna Sceletium powder.

Hey guys! Just wondering if it is possible that I will be able to order some Kanna powder straight from the US. I have recently just paid for 1/2 Oz of Kanna powder straight from New York to Western Australia..

I know herbalistics and SAB have stopped sending to WA because of the POXY WAQIS regulations.. as far as I'm concerned WAQIS can suck a fat one! :P I understand that Kanna is completely legal in Australia (herb, plant and extract) and I know there are sources within Australia who sell it.. I just figured I'd take a stab and see how my chances go.

Any others attempted ordering Kanna powder into WA and been successful?? Would love to hear from yaz! :)

CHEERS GOOOOIIZ!!

Edited by LikeAshesWeFade

Interesting, ICON doesn't have a listing for any Sceletium species at all. I expect that if it's not listed, then it's prohibited.

haha ahh dead set ay? ah well here's to hoping it slips through! :P

I could be wrong, don't have any experience importing herbage, but it's the way it works for seeds, plants, etc.

Hmm I know of a few sources who sold it within Aus a few months back, I may hit them up and ask whether they may know much about importing the stuff into Australia. The lady who sells it in NY says that she's sent quite a few packages of Kanna powder to Australia with no problems at all with any of them.. That may just be that they all just happened to slip through though!

I will report back on here if I find some definite answers, I'd rather not ring AQIS to ask them as it may be "putting my foot in the shit". :)

If it is not listed on ICON then it is a federal quarantine prohibited import. First offence you will just lose the product.

WA adds an extra layer of quarantine and it is prohibited here too.

Cheers mate! Thankyou for clarifying that for me, I guess it's either cross the fingers and hope it arrives or wait for the letter from AQIS saying they're going to destroy a totally harmless dried herb. Tossers! :)

Worrying over small things such as Kanna whilst they're wasting their time, kg's of Cocaine & Heroin is probably slipping RIGHT by them! F**KIN twits! :P

Worrying over small things such as Kanna whilst they're wasting their time, kg's of Cocaine & Heroin is probably slipping RIGHT by them! F**KIN twits! :P

two completely separate agencies. quarantine is not customs.

Oh I know they're two different agencies.. so will it be Customs issuing the letter or AQIS (if it's pulled up)? I guess it would be AQIS considering they're the first to take a peak. All I was saying is that whether they're two seperate agencies or the same.. they're still worrying over little crap while bigger BADDER things are getting through.

Edited by LikeAshesWeFade

My kanna powder arrived today!! SAWEEET! :) Had the botanical name and all on the front of the parcel and it still got through fine, so if customs pulled aside the package and had a look there was obviously no problems at all.

My guess is they obviously never seen it because they'd atleast want to heat treat the dried herb. So for anyone wanting to order Kanna powder/capsules into WA you shouldn't have any dramas aslong as it's properly labelled on the package.

geez, did you learn nothing from this thread?

did the box have any green or blue tape on it? if not then it wasn't opened and hence you just got lucky.

Sceletium is a federally prohibited quarantine import, so if quarantine saw it they would seize and destroy it.

• Like 1

Thank you for your enquiry to plant quarantine

Import conditions, permit requirements, treatments, and category costs are publicly available from the AQIS import conditions database - ICON, which is located on the Internet at http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon. It can be used to determine if a commodity intended for import to Australia needs a quarantine permit and/or treatment, or if there are any other quarantine prerequisites. Import conditions may also depend on what country you wish to export the commodity from.

As far as I’m aware there is no separate case for Sceletium tortuosum and other Sceletium products, they would be considered under the case for dried herbs: http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8871289&intCommodityId=10833&Types=All&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=7747048.

If it is a personal consignment of less than 1kg, it would not require a permit, but otherwise you would have to apply for an import permit. Our advice from Biosecurity Australia has been that these products pose a plant pathogen risk and must be heat treated at 85°C for 8 to manage this. You would need to provide a manufacturer’s declaration detailing the processing of the prodcuts.

I hope this answers your questions. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

Edited by eatfoo

I have just discussed this case with a couple of my colleagues; some dried herbs of less than 1kg would not require a permit, but because of the risk of plant pathogens being introduced with this commodity, you would need to apply for an import permit. We would also require a manufacturer’s declaration stating that ‘Sceletium tortuosum has been dried in a gas dryer at 85°C for at least 8 hours’.

The packages must be clean and new, labelled with the full botanical name of the product, and be free of risk material such as insects.

special consideration from head office in canberra means most dried herbs can get through, as long as you pay for treatment. this is even if it is not in the database.

Does anyone have any experience with heat treating? Is it expensive?

hmmmm, I ordered some erb from china, did my homework, all ok, no worries......but from what the guy says in email above, my erbal powder will need heat treatment, but when you check the website it says it doens't.... :BANGHEAD2: ....well will see how it all turns out, if ok, then will order some kanna

The quotes in my posts are emails sent to me from AQIS. Try emailing them yourself, i suspect you will be told something totaly different. :P

The quotes in my posts are emails sent to me from AQIS. Try emailing them yourself, i suspect you will be told something totaly different. :P

probably, all depends whether he/she has had their morning coffee and donut yet

Its my guess things will get through depending on were youve gotten them from and what else is in the package, say if you were to order some kava or sceletium from a health food retailer with some vitamins and protein shakes they are usually overlooked however when you order from a headshop 9/10 theyll get it. I have had many packages opened and inspected by customs only for them to send my package staight onto me befor I was aware of particular import restrictions with no dilemmas :) however at times when ive ordered products from shamanic extracts my parcell has been held up for weeks with all the contents opened up and trashed in the parcell once ive recieved it.

another point worth mention is low key packaging is like waving a red flag at these guys!