The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Lions tail butane extraction

I followed the insructions for a hash oil extractor and made one to try and get a smokeable resin from L leonurus

It worked fine using leaf.

the yield was low but i think if i had dry season leaf or flowering tops id get more

this was the result

normal_Picture%20173.jpg

It smokes well but the effects are mild and im not even an MJ smoker so mild is def the operative word

Ive had other smokes recently i though were more promising than this

id do it again if i had better raw material like tops or sticky leaves

[ 26. March 2005, 00:05: Message edited by: Rev ]

you know i read a lot on the leonotis and no one ever said he had a good experience with this plant...

i smoked it too and damn,california poppy its better than this very mild plant!!

but maybe i should smoke the flowers...i didnt try it before...

rev did u try to smoke Salvia oficinalis???

is there a chance to get something from this plant?? [planet :) ]

lol

Rev, that's an interesting photo. I've seen high priced so-called art that didn't look that good.

Leonorus hash is supposed to work, the leaves or flowers are nothing special.

Stoney

he ehehheh - looks like something that could have come out of someone's ear!

yummmm :P

If I remember, the extraction that claimed to be as good as mj smoke was an ethanol extract...

I definitely think it's a seasonal thing, I've heard of plants that you can simply scrape the resin off the leaves at some point!

Very pretty though! :)

[ 20. March 2005, 08:54: Message edited by: apothecary ]

no doubt a lot of active components would have stayed behind.

a soxhlet or a coldfinger would be the way to go, but you could alternatively just,

put the material in a save glassware and add ethanol or aceton (i'd go for the latter).

than gently heat up the solvent using a hotwaterbath, in an area free of sparks or flames, for a few hours.

than reduce the ethanol using a still (plastic hose, trough a bucket of ice water)or a coldfinger.

as fractal said, aluminium foil can be shaped into a funnel.

well i describe this 15min homemade coldfinger to you. you need;

alufoil, a glass coffee decanter, small glass jar, say a small reused anchovie jar, some wire, some ice cubes.

with the wire you suspend, the anchovie jar into the coffe decanter, than you shape the foil into a funnel/cone, which seals the lid of the decanter. don't seal airtight...

finished!

and btw salvia officinalis could have effects, if smoked, specialy if an extract.

i once was given strong salvia officinalis tea, by a person and had some effects from it...

i think i found azeotropic compounds in leonorus, a long time ago.

whilte butane extraction is a pretty cool process, it is a total waste of time when applied to somewhat polar substances :rolleyes:

I spose, but what if the oily substances are not useful?

Then you could smoke the de-fatted herb from the honey tube which may be stronger by weight than the original product :confused:

expensive and dangerous way to defat....

Ive had positive expereinces with Leonotis

quite MJ like though lasting only 40 mins

this was no flwering resinous tips from Perth grown white leonotis harvested in march/april after a stinkin hot summer b4 the first rains - stinky

if i hadnt have had that experience id dismiss the species but i know it CAN do it - it just didnt this time or this way

BTW stonehenge i read people fortunes in oil

BYO weed and once its processed ill tell ur fortune by the shape of the globs

(of course u dont get the oil back... )

[ 22. March 2005, 00:47: Message edited by: Rev ]

in my previous experience yellow goo like that means an imediate death by squishing... well at least for the insects it came from

The dagga extract I mentioned in the thread 'Mystery Extract' was produced by hydro-ethanolic extraction.

Repeated experiences have proven consistent with those described in the thread.

"expensive and dangerous way to defat...."

Understand but I was more getting at whether or not there would have been a qualitative difference between the hash and the waste herb by removal of the oils.ie where do the actives reside??

lions ear is a different plant from lions tail ,the later being known as kanna.

lions ear has a nice flavour and is reported to contain coumarins.i have maybe a kilo of dried flower heads,flowers and tips i will trade if i dont do some thing myself.i think the flower tips picked when quite small might be good to try.the smell is quite strong at that stage and a bit citrusy.

even in adelaide's hot dry climate i've never seen anything like resin on lions tail,lions ear seems more likely.i wonder if the reports of kanna have confused these plants as we do?

t s t .

I thought kanna was the name for sceletium?

As far as I know, Leonitis Leonurus is known as Lion's Tail, or Wild Dagga.

my apologies

I am referring to lions tail then

Leonotis leonurus

This is "Super Critical Fluid Extraction".

Differant liquified gasses can be used depending on what your trying to extract, hence the preffernce to using Butane for Cannabis extractions over CO2 which is what is generally used for most other herbal extractions. Perhaps using CO2 maybe more effective for your Lions Tail?

Rev, there is a wealth of info online about this and I think I have a scanned book on the subject as well if your interested.

Ive tried emailing and PMing you about this but your PM box is full and theres been no reply to the email as yet.

Rev...he go walkabout