Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

New Khat clone available in a few months

a lover of the doig

Edited by darcy

I can imagine that gnome.

Twenty khat plants in a row, one by one off the tips go :P

Will do, I'm pretty well known around here for my manual notification :P

btw apothecary, you might be interested i nbuying Gymnostemma tea, we bought some form an asian supermarket recently. only a few bucks for a lot of bags. Has a taste like weak tea and oats i reckon Nice though.

Asian supermarket eh?

Nice eh?

*thinks of nearby Asian supermarkets*

Maybe I'll switch from dilmah! :D

if u havnt tryed it yet i recomend green tea with a hint of jasmine

that shit tastes awsome! (dont add milk.. i like to add a sugar too)

but that dosnt sound like a new strain to me...

by growing chance pollinated seeds, you dont get enough variation, to create a new strain, unless your ovary was x pollinated, which is highly unlikely taliking catha.

ther is no doubt that catha seedlings can be very different from there mother plant, for example vienna white produces lots of slightly different character offspring.

that happens because of mendels law,

but is not good enough to shout out new strain...

handpollination, and x-ing two inbreed strains, thats what creates, new hy-breeds, which than need stabilising, if you want to have seeds with certain traits.

I think he means new strain because he'll just be selling clones propagated from that one plant.

Bad terminology I guess.

But it got your attention didn't it, planthelper :P

It would be a strain if it came from a different genetic line. Since I hav no idea where this came from, apart from the tree Rev found in Perth, I guess I shuld just call it a new red clone. Is your red one ph from this preth tree too? If not, i guess you could call it a new strain as it comes from a potentially different line than yours.

You can develop new varieties from growing out a few thousand seeds (preferably more) from open pollination and picking out special individuals and working with those to stabilise the trait you like.

Lets just say I'm cloning a plant and will be selling it on our webstore

Kinda off topic, but:

I'm pretty sure that 'flying saucers' morning glory were originally created in just the manner Darcy describes.

There was a botanist who was pretty much the morning glory king(name eludes me) who created alot of the different 'strains'.

He had a field of plants that were all a cross between 'blue stars' and 'pearly gates'. He chose the plants with the most attractive looking (and obviously similar) striped patterns and just bred them out a few generations, and thus created flying saucers.

Still kinda off topic:I've been growing two types of MG for the past couple of years, Heavenly Blue and another petite mauve one.As a result now I have a new vine producing flowers with a pink throat(not white like normal)with blue petals and pink stripes!

If I want to isolate this strain I guess I need to grow it exclusively and get it to self-pollinate...yes?

I really do need to get a camera soon the flowers are absolutely awesome :)

Keep the plant as a mother, far away from the other plants.

Sprout as many of the seeds that it produces as you can.

Then use pollen from the new plants with the desirable traits on the original mother.

Grow those seeds (f1 x mother) and repeat process. Isolate plants with wanted traits, use pollen on mother plant.

Continue for several generations until strain is stable ([f1 x mother] x mother etcetera ad nauseum).

shouldnt take that long with MG but for qat could take ages!

how long till they flower and produce seeds?

With khat I'd imagine you'd grow them indoors, and instead of using generation crossing, you'd use clones from the mother artificially flowered either by variation in lighting or ethylene triggers.

sure got my attention, specialy because i work on creating real new strains since years and have posted about.

there are many red strain plant sources around,

even my vienna source has got red plants, but they are all very much the same.

if you clone a specific plant like in your situation you could call it my selection or so, but not a new strain.

hmm what about the case for something like penis plant

thats a different strain but all from 1 plant just cloned isnt it?

:)

The definition of a strain is "a race within a species reproduced by seed". It is the horticultural equivalent of the botanical term 'form' and sometimes 'subspecies'.

A strain is the same as a cultivar, except a strain is true-breeding while a cultivar is often just a sport.

So, a strain can be called anything that has a *discernable* difference from the lectotype of a species. This difference could be based on appearance, growth characteristics, pharmacology, aroma, flower colour, etc etc. The list is really really long. The only condition is that you must be able to reproduce the selected characteristic by sexual reproduction.

If propagation is solely by asexual propagation then it is not a strain but a cultivar.

So, narrow leaf, broad leaf, red, green, etc are all strains, but if you get 5 somewhat different looking plants from a batch of seed from a single parent, and these trait are not stable in sexual reproduction, then the individuals are cultivars and no strains. However, if they do reproduce stable then they are strains. So, at this point it is really impossible to tell if darcy's new cultivar will become a strain, but knowing his tenacity and skill I would presume that he won't give up until it is

actually, the word strain is an illegal term under the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature and the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants, so this dicussion is 'academic' (or rather the contrary)

la ha la bodo

Edited by darcy