The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
empire

the identification of poppy seedlings

I think my poppie seedling have just come up(opium) but im not quite sure? Thay have to green leaves followed by a redish stem there very minute. Can someone tell me if thay are poppies or weeds :confused:

[ 15. March 2005, 17:49: Message edited by: empire ]

can anyone tell me if the seeds from some nursery-bought red poppies are fertile?

as i heard that they r sterile so u need to buy them again and again:(

thanx

red poppy is not enough to identify a strain

but in what i know somni, oriental, iceland and rhoeas/shirley poppies are fertile.

I got some red poppies up in the last few weeks no probs ? but they came from e-bay so who knows what they will turn out to be.

sorry i'm not sure of the species name, although i THINK it may be rhoeas(??)

I don't know of any Papaver rhoeas that produce sterile seed. It reseeds every year in the fields around my house. Pretty common wildflower. Flander's Poppy if I'm not mistaken. Not much in the way of ethnobotanical value...

Does anyone know otherwise?

i'll try the seeds and see what happens

i think the red poppy gives relaxed feelings(??)

psycho0:

i think the red poppy gives relaxed feelings(??)

sorry !

Hi empire,

Mine are just coming up. It is difficult to discern very young poppies from other plants. I always look out for the two very narrow pointed first leaves (cotyledons). Picture 10j shows this well.

Most of the subspecies I see have green stems but the maxi poppies I'm growing at the mo' have quite red stems :)

bsm2wr

Papaver rhoes has a long history if traditional use. It is mild, but still worthwhile. In europe it was given to children to put them to sleep when they were sick.

n the kratom list one of the most favoured combinations is kratom with red poppy petals. Seeing how the growing of Papaver rhoes is legal it would be silly not to give it a try

yeah ive read of combos of kratom, red poppy, blue lotus and maybe chamomile or something

No kidding? Well the state of North Carolina plants fields of Flander's poppies on the sides of highways in the mountains around here. I'll have to start experimenting with extractions, as I could harvest POUNDS of petals in about two months, or so (northern hemi).

Any suggestions on how to do extracts with this plant?

mine have just come up they have the two thick green leaves and are growing well so i'm pleased :cool:

is it a good time to plant seeds as it's still got som warm weather down here?

thanx

aaron

It seems we need to be clear here. P rhoeas and P somniferum are not even in the same boat when it comes to interesting properties. Icelandic, Oriental and Flander's poppies (none somniferum) have given a friend of a friend's imaginary elfin projection nothing but a splitting headache when ingested in the past.

There is a scarlet somniferum that has the right alkaloid profile, but it is far inferior to the strains actually produced for commercial harvest.