The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

QUONDONG ( Santalum acuminatum )

Hey yall, so ....far out i've been taking the kids to the same beach regularly for seven years and never before have i noticed this plant , QUONDONG! No excuses... just never noticed it, always just passed it off as another Acacia cyclops, but when i saw them laden with fruit last month I was like WOW! .Munched a couple of fruits straight away, my son loved picking them but not so much the tart flavour of the flesh lol.

I looked it up in my bushfood book, and read the the nut inside the hard shell is the go, and wow! Tasted weird like ive had that before, kinda like almonds, but that flavour , sooo familiar... still cant think what it is....

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

QUONDONG

( Santalum acuminatum )

___________________________________________________________________________________

Family Santalaceae, the sandalwoods

This tree has attractive round, succulent fruits that turn

bright red when ripe and make a tasty snack.They have red

outer skin, like an orange peel,surrounding a hard outer kernal,

which can be cracked to reveal the nut. The nuts are delicious

roasted.The outer part of the fruits can be made into jams or

jellies.Quondong is a close relative of sandalwood, and it too

parasitises other plants through its roots.

Description: This small tree has an upright growth habit

and grows no higher than five metres. It forms clumps in dunes

by means of underground suckers. The yellowish green leaves

are quite leathery and slightly sickle shaped. Around Perth, the

small fragrant green and brown flowers appear from February to

March.The fruits are two to four centimetres wide and have a

single seed.

Other names: Dumbari, jawirli, native peach, Vasse apple,

walku, wanga, wayanu, wongil.

Where it grows: Quondong is found in all Australian states,

but in WA it grows from Canarvon south, and into inland areas.

In metropolitan Perth it is largely a plant of coastal dunes and

limestone areas, but also grows in the Darling Scarp.

Collection: The fruits are ripe and ready to eat in September

and October in the bushland near Perth. The best tasting kernals

can be picked out of emu dung or collected from under a quondong

tree.

Other uses: Pounded quondong leaves were reportedly used

by some aboriginal people to treat diseases introduced by European

settlers. The seed contains a large amount of oil, which can be use

as a moisturiser for the skin. Children may use the stones as beads

or marbles.

Not wanting to take away from the fruit itself (or the thread for that matter [sorry Blowng]), but every time I think of Quondong I think of Haigh's Chocolates.

They do a dark chocolate Quondong which is just mouth wateringly delicious. At about $1.20 for a single chocolate it's not an everyday snack, but...

fuck I love chocolate!!

I've eaten plenty of blue quandong (Elaeocarpus angustifolius) during my childhood in north queensland. I remember a kid coming to the aboriginal guide on school camp asking what these round rocks he'd found were... "That's cassowary shit," he said. "Full of blue quandong seeds."

mmm...chocolate breakfast of champions, are you talking choc coated quondongs Rabaelthazar? I just tried some quondong nuts roasted heaps nice!

mmm...chocolate breakfast of champions, are you talking choc coated quondongs Rabaelthazar? I just tried some quondong nuts roasted heaps nice!

Yeah, choc coated quondong rind. Hand on, I'll see if there's a link....

http://haighschocolates.com.au/our_chocolates/hand-made_chocolates/dark_chocolates.html

Fourth section.... jeez, I shouldn't have looked at that. I seriously want some chocolate now.

Yuum! Lilly pilly jelly and lemon myrtle too,what a great idea incorporating native ingrediants into their choc. It is probably the tropical quondong though which Psili sausage mentioned (Elaeocarpus angustifolias)which i have never tried...I wonder where the the word quondong comes from and how both these different trees were named it. Emu poo sure is interesting to look through full of big seeds and stones...

Very nice find there Blown !

Beautiful. Have plans to grow it?

The best tasting kernals

can be picked out of emu dung

:lol:

Reminds me of the coffee beans civets shit out that are so highly regarded.

Hi tripsis good to see you made it back! I have potted up a few ,the shell is as thick as the nut inside, so i wasnt sure what treatment if any i should have done. I was left with more empty shells than nut after cracking about 50 with a hammer, but theyre really tasty after a light roasting in the oven which also makes the texture more nut like too!

Cheers mate, it's good to be back, especially for summer.:)

Good luck with the seeds, hope you get some up. It's a root parasite of other trees though, so you'll need to find a host for them to parasitise.

The shells make pretty popular beads too. I love how they look like little brains.

I remember finding a quandong species outside the tourist info centre in Batemans Bay earlier this year, or late last year. Looking into it I suppose it was Elaeocarpus angustifolius, as it had blue fruits with green flesh. They were pretty unpleasant to eat (no flesh on them anyway).

• Like 1

This santalum acuminatum is just sooo great! Little water, fruits, nuts, smelling wood... And he loves the acacias!!!!

Up for this plant!

Anyone has seeds? Or know where to buy, I just found nothing on the net.

Nindethana have 3 varieties in their 2010 catalogue - but not sure about current stock . They are a most excellent source for Oz natives .

Would anyone elaborate on rumour about smoking quandong leaves?

Took me four and a half years roughly from a 6-inch nursery purchased seedling on Myoporum parvifolium (long dead), now growing on A.schlerophylla and A. microcarpa and probably many others including Trichocereus sp. Three fruits only (set of two pictured). No bugs inside, as can occur in the wild. Tart, very tasty.

DSC07225.JPG

• Like 3

Hey yall, so ....far out i've been taking the kids to the same beach regularly for seven years and never before have i noticed this plant , QUONDONG! No excuses... just never noticed it, always just passed it off as another Acacia cyclops, but when i saw them laden with fruit last month I was like WOW! .Munched a couple of fruits straight away, my son loved picking them but not so much the tart flavour of the flesh lol.

I looked it up in my bushfood book, and read the the nut inside the hard shell is the go, and wow! Tasted weird like ive had that before, kinda like almonds, but that flavour , sooo familiar... still cant think what it is....

a>

a>

where abouts is this tree mate ,thats a good one

I didn't realise the seeds of these were similar to the blue quandongs (Elaeocarpus) too. Is the reason for the common name sharing? Either way the seeds are very cool, have a bunch on my necklaces I've made.

Would love to taste these guys!