The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Tricho from seed

Question

P1010061.jpg

"pachanoi"

P1010060.jpg

"pachanoi" same batch seed. Do I see macrogonus traits or is it too early to tell and it's just my newbieness talkin?

P1010062.jpg

"pervuvianus" some 4-6 months older than the "pachanois". This one looks like ozzie 'steve' and 'gnosis' to my peruviano-untrained eye...

• Like 1

17 answers to this question

The first two don't look like pachs to me.

Third one looks about right for a peruvianus, but I don't know what Steve or Gnosis look like. Probably too early to discern any particular characteristics, anyway.

I Have some seeds sold as pachanoi that look slimier to the top pics, around 1-2 yrs old i have been wondering if they were KK or mislabeled :scratchhead:

the peru as you said looks like a T. cuzcoensis

the pachanoi look funky i would be stoked to have them come out of some pach labeled seed

whats your source for the seeds?

yours kinda look like gerbils although more heavily spined

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20615

the peru as you said looks like a T. cuzcoensis

who said the peruv looks like a cuzco? just you so far... I now note the wavy ribs which might be cuzco trait I read.

all seed came from Nomad Botanicals {US}, 2008. He sold a 7 species tricho seed pack then, but some rarer species like taquimbalensis never germinated.

Edited by mutant

nice plants mutant love the notching in the peruvian.

i find Gnosis looks a bit cuzcoensis like, while most peruvianoids have redder spines... thats how i understand it anyway or thats how i like my peruvianoids.

picture looks very much like a peruvianus kk2152 that i have.

I see, whatever the case, I find these discussions and opinions pretty interesting as I am learning these phenotypes better.

Here's what my KK 2150 'pachanoi' looks like , MS Smith thinks is cuzcoid.

P1000983.jpg

And here's what my KK 2152 peruvianus looks like

P1000997.jpg

===

i find Gnosis looks a bit cuzcoensis like

I suppose you are implying the looks here and not the teaching potential... huh?

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Cuzco and Peru's are so similar, the way i see it if the spines keep their colour they are Peru's , if they turn white they are Cuzco's. I may be totally wrong here, and i welcome all criticism , but that does seem to be the pattern. Mutants 3rd pic i reckon is a Peru. :scratchhead:

Edited by mr b.caapi

cheers, thanks

Here's another bunch, didn't sow them myself. Might find the source, 'pachanoi' they were labeled. They're maybe 3 years old or more but they were totally neglected in a smallish pot with little soil. They look better now and getting fatty as colds approach

P1010069.jpg

EDIT: these were recently given to me to take care of

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

The two "pachanoi" in post #1 are no different than proper T. peruvianus, while the "peruvianus" is T. cuzcoensis. The two plants in post #8 are also T. cuzcoensis in my estimate.

There seems to be a lot of T. peruvianus seed sold as T. pachanoi, just like how there has been quite a bit of T. cuzcoensis seed sold as T. peruvianus.

Here's proper T. pachanoi from seed.

5039818929_75b69c41f8_o.jpg

Here's what came from Mesa Garden "T. pachanoi" seed, a plant that should quite obviously be properly identified as T. peruvianus.

4798238216_797f35964d_o.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 1

Cool thanks Michael.

If it's true, I got what appears to be 3 quite different strains of cuzcoids

should be interesting!

• Like 1

same seed growns I posted in the first post, tip angle, today

P1010305.jpg ['peruv']

P1010302.jpg ['pachanoi']

P1010303.jpg ['pachanoi', same with above seed batch !?!?!]

probably all 'IDs' are wrong.

Hmmmmmmm......... that blueing one looks a bit with T. glaucus, or is it just me?

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Beautiful plants, the last one is especially so. It reminds of an Icaro a fair bit with that reddish spination.

P1010597.jpg

P1010596.jpg

this bridgesi is making extra spines at its narrower part. it has done this before. I wonder it's thinking of pupping there...

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Some crazy bottom spines, never seen such density before, I wonder what causes so much spines to grow suddenly out of the bottom of the cacti - unusual phenomena, usually new spines form on growing aereoles on the tip of the plant. Where did you obtain the seed?

Edited by Pacha

Seed source was Nomad botanicals 2008 {US} it was a seed pack of the most popular Trichcerei plus some less knowns like wendermanianus and terschecki, including the mislabeled pervuvian [=cuzco] and pachanoi's [=seemingly peruvians] from this thread.

As for why the cactus does this, maybe it knows the base is a little too thinny and a little too young to become wood. Also, it's probably the best candidate place for a new pup so, the second wave of spines are probably there to protect the base from damage??

Having said that, I remember seeing this in this plant again, also my big wendermanianus, and also remember seeing this beeing talked : that sometimes a second wave of spines occurs in some trichocerei species. One could also see it as a reinforcement of the old growth, as it seems to occur in older parts of the cactus

it is typical and normal for spines to grow at the base of the plant, it is a sign of maturation taking place, if you grow these things for years you see phases of spine growth, the first spines that grow are not the only ones, there are spines that grow the next season or two after the areole has formed, and spines that grow at the base of the plant as it matures.

The so called short spine kk242 clone is a good example of this, it has short spines but when mature grows much longer central spines from the base and from more mature parts of the plant.