The Corroboree
Slybacon

L.E.D solar powered Hydro system.

Hi,

Im in the process of designing a stand alone hydroponic system using L.E.D 7 to 15W lights powered through a BP 70W panels.

Does anyone have any experience with L.E.D grow lights? Any advice o brands and retailers would be great. Everything is in the research stages but i hope to have a 1 plant prototype system together by xmas

Thanks

I'll put u incontact with aussie importer of best technology in oz.

we use a 120W LED grow light custom fitted with 6000K daylight white LEDs as our shop window display lights. These are actually modified grow lights that usually come with red and blue LEDs. we've had so many enquiries that we've now started selling them [made to order]. they are $1000 each, regardless of colour spectrum.

120W LED is about the same as 700W HPS/MH

we can get smaller ones as well, but figure that anyone who is serious about this technology will want to go this size.

bigger ones get too complicated for us due to shipping weight.

Hi Torsten,

120W is pretty extreme for me, I'm using it to supplement natural light. I have a grow room at my place with perpex roof, walls are solid and painted white. I'm planning on using the set up to give them some extra light early in the morning and late in the arvo. I will have a look at work today what the cheapest way to solar power it will be. Dont want to spend huge on the first system. Any chance you could help design an LED set up for us and we can build it???

Trav

PS- definately can design a power system for 120W, and will do next year but I have a 70W panel here and an inverter so i might as well design the LED around what i have. anything upto 60W would probably work OK, will have to see how much i can charge this old battery here......

Edited by Slybacon

we use a 120W LED grow light custom fitted with 6000K daylight white LEDs as our shop window display lights. These are actually modified grow lights that usually come with red and blue LEDs. we've had so many enquiries that we've now started selling them [made to order]. they are $1000 each, regardless of colour spectrum.

we can get smaller ones as well, but figure that anyone who is serious about this technology will want to go this size.

Are they any good for flowers/fruit? Because I have been interested in LED foe awhile and have tried a few types and they come up short.

Do you have a pic?

The Procyon appears to be the only decent one I have seen that has had some successful independent trials

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/101077017/Procyon_100_LED_Grow_Light.html

Edited by lickapop

i'm also interested in hearing the real life use of the 1000 dollar installation, have no problems paying, just after real life experience... will that keep my column cacti growing?!

^^^^^^ I think using it to supplement light in a green house will make better use for current LED technology. This way you still get the full spectrum for some of the cycle. From what i have read they are not quite good enough to use just LED's....

----------------------------------------------------------------

Came up with a cool idea at work today..... Started pricing up parts when it dawned on me we stock solar powered LED street lights for mining and road use 50W Equal to about 300W (these things are fucking bright). Everything ready to go enclosed in a very sexy case, panel built into the case with batteries and charger etc etc.

Only problem is the LEDS are white strips, looked around for a while today but couldn't find RED and BLUE replacement strips.... Will need to do some more homework tonight.

Our ones look kinda like this, i'll try and find a proper pic tomorrow

Solar-street-led-light.jpg

The LEDs run in strips tho

Edited by Slybacon

Hey do you reckon led lights would contribute to plants growing faster with just a soil based set up I am kinda experimenting at the moment was just going to hook up a few led grids inside a cabinet then put a few seedling trays on the shelving and see what happens I know it's kinda of a noob question but yea share thoughts please.

sdfsdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

`

Edited by Magicdirt
  • Like 1

sorry, I didn't see this topic had progressed.

The white LED at 6000K are fine for plants. I am not using them for that at the moment but will be this winter so will know more then. They can also be bought in perfect grow combinatins of red/blue in pretty much any variation. There are also smaller models available, so a 50 or 60W set up woudl not be a problem.

LEDs are very suited to solar because they can cope with lower voltages. Normal lights dim pretty badly, but LEDs will usually still work well at a couple of volt below their optimum.

I have some 40W blue red grow panels here too, but still trying to work out how to modify them to low voltage. I don't like running 240V in the greenhouse.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2011 at 7:21 AM, Torsten said:

I don't like running 240V in the greenhouse.

sdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

because 240V and water don't mix well.

12V and water usually just result in FAIL rather than death. [and yes, I know this depends on amps].

because 240V and water don't mix well.

12V and water usually just result in FAIL rather than death. [and yes, I know this depends on amps].

I am the same torsten. Keep 240 V as far away from my water supplies as is possible.

For the price i just cant justify it. HPS may use more juice but only cost me $150 so i have probably 24 months of 12/12 cycles (if i was that way inclined) before the HPS ends up costing more than the LEDs and in the meantime the extra growth in my products would more than substitute the costs. I am not saying LEDs dont work i am just saying not as well as other technologies as it still is in the very early stages of development. However ow that companies are actually tailoring LED decks to suit growing i have no doubt the tech will come a long way very quickly

Friends have grown cannabis with LEDs and you can see the plants not quite loving it. May be low quality gear i am not sure but either way it was the equivalent of a fluoro tube as far as growth rates were concerned, If you can build your own out of QUALITY parts i would recommend that a thousand fold. and never import dodgy ebay shit from china :D its cheap for a reason aye.

I really should get this project done. Summer is nearly over and 3/4 of the way through autumn I lose the right angle to get good sunlight. Last year I lost most of the greenhouse room to lack of light. The bay Tree has remained strong tho.

asdads

Edited by Teljkon

just a tip place your 240 up high. Thats why we use 110 in the states chances are your not going to kill your self even if you do screw up.

Must be od having winter in july, eh.

In dry conditions 110 volts is certainly safer, but in wet greenhouse conditions 110 volt is just as deadly.

I have used 240 volt power tools in the direct flow of water, I wasn't convinced it was safe but I was assured by an engineer that it was OK.

The power tools were connected to earth leakage protection circuit breakers or a scan box as they call them on work sites, If a fault develops they can stop the current flow in less than a heartbeat.

Given the option it's a risk that just isn't worth taking, in wet areas I'd be going for lower voltage options. It only takes 1 mistake or careless act to create deadly conditions.

Keeping the wiring up high is definitely the best bet if you can't avoid using 240v along with earth leakage circuit breakers or a Residual Current Device as they are now called.In the US they have various names for them.

afdf

Edited by Teljkon