The Corroboree
FancyPants

Why intelligent people use more drugs

Somehow a <div /> tag got left in that link, so here's a working link .

Edit: now that I've read it, I'm not sure I agree with it all... I mean, I've noticed the trend that intelligent people seem to like psychoactive drugs more than "less intelligent" people, but I don't think it's because drugs are "new" and intelligent people want to be "more evolved." What does that even mean? I always just figured people with more active brains would get more out of psychoactive substances, and therefore tend to use them more.

And also

Opium and cannabis are the only "natural" (agricultural) psychoactive drugs.

Is this regarding the large production (agriculture) of these two plants compared to others? :unsure:

Edited by psili sausage

Can't get a better definition than IQ, that shit is flawless!

Oh wait, the "turing test" has got to be my favourite. It's not intelligent unless it can have a conversation... That's referring to artificial intelligence though...

Edited by psili sausage

i think whoever wrote that was in the "very dull" to "dull" range...

define intelligent.

the ability to perform well on an intelligence test :P

for me, intelligence = the ability to joint the dots in a novel but logically consistent way.

this will be influenced by the "number of dots" that you're able to process simultaneously (working memory, which correlates about .7 with IQ), the "novelty of your dot joining" (creativity) and your reasoning ability (fluid intelligence).

the hypothesis underpinning this article, the savanna-IQ interaction hypothesis, is interesting http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201002/the-savanna-principle

as for the issue of intelligence and drug use: i tend not to trust bold claims unless it's in a peer reviewed journal.

Intelligence is subjective

ive gotta agree.

some of the most intelligent people i know of, are also the dumbest.

Some of my intellectual friends are totally devoid of any form of common sense.

• Like 1

some of the most intelligent people i know of, are also the dumbest.

Some of my intellectual friends are totally devoid of any form of common sense.

Yes, but is common sense intelligence? On the flip side, many autistic people are seemingly not the sharpest minds around, yet can have astounding intelligence in very specific areas.