The Corroboree
Prophet

Sida rhombifolia?

Does the plant Sida rhombifolia grow as a weed in Queensland? because i have some plants growing around my house that look a lot like a photo that i saw of a Sida rhombifolia plant. Do the wild plants contain ephedrine and pseudoephedrine? and what part of the plant has the highest concentration?

peace

Not sure on the QLD thing but I planted ine strong plant in my garden and it produced PLENTY of seed so I can see a weed potential.

I think the leaves are normally brewed for a stimulant quality.

I cut mine back last year and it has regenerated so well it looks like a small fruit tree.

At least for S cordifolia the aerial parts have the goods

a brew gave me scalp tingles and stimulation - for me characteristic of ephedrine

its growing at maccas and up t's entrance road.

this plant is so easy i dont know why its not grown more.though some years little beetles can infect the seed.

imo more potent than ephedra,i heaped tsp as a tea usually stimulates me so much my bowels empty!

dried leaf is prob better to use as fresh is kind of soapy.

slightly heavy on the chest as a smoke i have periods of euphoria with it,it can be joyful!

the root was quite diferent,definately active but weird,needed a lot more of it too.

got some fresh seed.

t s t .

In Indonesia, a tea made of roots of the S. rhombifolia is a traditional medicine against gout and other pains caused by abnormally-high level of uric acid in the body.

Here's how they use it: take 5 plants, cut out the upper part and rinse the remaining roots. Boil in 2 glasses of water. After boiled, let it sit overnight and drink it the next morning with an empty stomach.

For more serious illness, the number of plants can be increased, but it must be of any odd number. Usually, 7 or 9 plants. I guess this is just a myth or something :)

Stonehenge:

I've tried to grow this one but the seeds never germinated. I have a few more seeds, is there a trick to it?

Stoney

its got germ inhibitors being an arid plant

i read HCl treatmnet works but i just put them in a pot and let them weather till some came up

do you use the roots dried or fresh or both? i got some roots and leaves drying at the moment and will be able to test them in a few days. I got some seeds but some of the seed heads seem to have been chewed through by something (maybe a catipillar) and the leaves are badly affected by some species of catipillar also. It is definitely a sida species and i am guessing rhombifolia by the photos that i have seen. It grows everywhere as a weed so definitely no shortage for harvesting :) )

Thanks for the tips, Rev. What is that hcl treatment? I assume you speak of hydrochloric acid. I would imagine you'd use it very dilute. I've heard of soaking in bleach for a short time. The ones I planted didn't come up after a couple months. How long did yours take? I may just have bad seeds.

Stoney

Prophet, both dried or fresh roots are used here, but mostly fresh.

the fresh whole plant brewed as tea makes a VERY refreshing tea. The roots are difficult to get at cos the plant likes heavy clays and loams. The seeds will nt germinate when YOU want them to, but when THEY want to. I've given up trying to grow Sidas intentionally - now I just chuck the seed in a corner in the garden and eventually there will be plants. Kinda like poppies.

Torsten you are too right about the roots being difficult to get at. It was like some of them were growing in concrete and it was a struggle trying to pull some of them out of the ground (maybe partly because of the taproot). Only the ones that were growing in very soft and moist ground were relatively easier to pull out. It will be interesting to see what the tea is like and smoking the leaves :) I will try the tea out of both the dry and fresh root and see which is better.

peace

There is some type of tiny green grub that loves the fresh seed pod leaving a neat hole in one side, they chew through the whole lot and come out the same hole.

I managed to get mine clear by systematically removing and squashing the buggers twice a day through flowering.

ARRRGH :mad:

Obviously if they have a hole in them they're buggered.

Oh and I foung plain old coir kept moist to be good enough for raising seeds.

SIDA rhombifolia, Sida acuta,

Acording to a search i have done on Herbage website these 2 species of sida revealed the following:

Sida acuta, common wireweed

actions: astringent,olentrifice,emollient,EUPHORIANT,STIMULANT,

comments: The dried seeds are smoked along the Gulf coast of mexico for their stimulating and euphoric effects.

Then, Sida rhombifolia

actions: alopecia, aphrodesiac,diuretic.

A further study on google reveals that Sida acuta has become a declared weed species in the north west of western australia.

My search on herbage reaveals that there are many species of Sida but none apart from acuta possess euphoric or stimulating properties,

SAB had Sida on their old site but it appears their new site dose not have it, i am interested in geting some Sida acuta seed if anyone has any.

I chopped and boiled the roots of about ten plants (most of the plants weren't very large)for 5 minutes then let it sit for an hour or two and drunk the resulting "tea". Effects are a pleasant stimulation and quite euphoric which i am feeling as i type and i will definitely try it again :D

Guest electro

does it taste any good ? i have a bundle of plants i ripped out of the local regeneration areas just sitting on the floor in the backyard....

how are the effects compared to ephedra (which imo is rather damn tasty)

Not much of a taste, there was a taste but hard to describe. I added some honey for flavouring although i could have drunken it without any added flavouring. I have never tried ephedra so i cannot compare it but i was surprised by the potency of the sida. I wasn't expecting much of an affect and i was pleasantly surprised. It was almost like a mild marijuana like high at times but stimulating at the same time and lasted for an hour or so.

how much fresh leaf should i use for tea?

Not sure how much fresh leaf you should use. I used the roots of about ten plants chopped up finely and that was quite potent. I don't think the leaves are as strong as the roots though. You might want to try using the leaves of about ten plants and see how that goes. If it doens't work next time you could up the dosage. Or you could try smoking the leaves. :) Depends how big the plants are. Most of the plants that i had didn't have much leaf because the leaves were eaten by catipillars. If they are very leafy plants you probably don't have to use many. Maybe someone who has tried the leaves can let you know how much to use.

will SAB be selling this plant/seeds anytime in the future?

thanx

actually, we have some plants in the nursery, so we'll probably put them in the webstore in the next few days.

I've got a 100 or so seeds if anyone's interested.

Ahh I just remembered it was Coin who wanted some before over at eba...pm me if you're still interested mate.

i have heaps now thanks..they've been flowering for ages

i'll give them to the seedring if wanted

LOL

i had oodles of this seed in the seedring but never 1 order

also its is one of THE most common weeds ive seen in nthn nsw and qld in cattle patures

frikking everywhere

the more batterred the land the thicker the sida

if you want to grow Sida then spray the land with glyphosate - even as seedlings ist doesnt effect them even at quite high amounts

so everything dies but the sida

come naturaly 'roundup ready'

as a result roadsides also have a fair bit