The Corroboree
Bush Turkey

dog eat cactus!

hey. a mate's dog ate one of his pc pach. the whole thing!!! about 35-40cm of it! i know there is not much alkaloids in in if any but just wanted to know what he should do??? active charcoal? should he just take her to the vet?

please help

The dog will live.

Id be surprised if the dog hasnt spewed it up yet.

I dont think its a severe as a pack of snail bait ,go to a vet still though

Take him for a big walk and when he has run out of energy and has stopped trying to hump everything, probably sometime tomorrow, light some insence and play him some chill out music. Maybe even give him a hash cookie for the tail end if he has been a good boy. :lol:

If he does spew then the visions cant be too far behind.

In all seriousness, its not poison, he will just have to ride it out.

Can you imaging tripping out and being taken to hospital to have your stomach pumped, that would probably be more traumatic than the actual trip.

Since this was posted a few hours ago, i feel that this post would be of no use, but for future reference, I would say keep an eye on the dog. If he starts to looking really off color, really thirsty, frothy saliva and worse ,convulsing and retching ,then go straight to the vet. There is a product that a Friend has on hand that will induce a dog to vomit ( not 3% hydrogen peroxide,) i have forgotten its name but will add it when i remember. Her dog ate a block of dark chocolate, she gave him this stuff and he brought it all back up.( and lived). . I hope all goes well for this pooch.

Edit:

• If you know that poison, such as slug bait, rodenticide, or herbicide, has been swallowed in the last two hours, induce vomiting in the conscious dog by giving a large crystal of washing soda, concentrated salt, or 3% hydrogen peroxide � one teaspoon every 15 minutes until vomiting occurs ;
  • Give one to two teaspoons of a slurry of activated charcoal in water � this will help to absorb any remaining poison;
  • Telephone your vet for advice, and if vomiting has occurred, keep a sample to take to the surgery;
  • If the swallowed poison is caustic (acid or alkali), or is petroleum-based, do not induce vomiting;
  • lectric-washing-soda.jpg A crystal of Washing soda , Not Soda Crystals.

Edited by Amazonian

yeah all good! shes really enjoying it :P na really i dont notice any change in her at all. she didnt eat the whole thing. we found half of it burried in her bone spot. saving for later :P thanks for all the feedback guys

yeah that pooch on the telly the other night who ate the pack of snail bait, poor bugger. he looked in pain

Edited by B_T

^Phew, that was lucky. Great news.

I hope the cactus is okay? :P

Glad the dog's ok... pach is so common it wouldn't have been suspicious at all to take it to the vet and say the dog ate a lot of backyard cactus :P

Mine has eaten cacti and even brew a couple times, seems to like the taste.... sometimes it spews. But she is always all good.

Watch your cacti now they seem to get a taste for it!

yeah all good! shes really enjoying it :P na really i dont notice any change in her at all. she didnt eat the whole thing. we found half of it burried in her bone spot. saving for later :P thanks for all the feedback guys

yeah that pooch on the telly the other night who ate the pack of snail bait, poor bugger. he looked in pain

The cactus will probably start pupping now. I had a dog eat a neighbours snail poison when I was young and I am pretty sure we were given ipecac for the same reason [induce vomiting] I was only young though so memory is fading, she was my first dog but she survived.

Edited by dworx