The Corroboree
Legba

Mum charged after...

Source

A 19-YEAR-OLD woman is facing a child endangerment charge after her 4-year-old daughter ate a brownie laced with marijuana, a prosecutor said.

Marisela Guadalupe Barraza first came under suspicion when she brought the child to her sister's South San Francisco home September 26, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

The 21-year-old sister noticed the daughter had slow speech, droopy eyelids and was acting strangely.

When confronted by the sister, Barraza replied that her daughter had eaten a pot brownie earlier in the day, Wagstaffe said.

Barraza later told police it was not her fault because the child grabbed the drugged dessert before she could stop her. The woman added that marijuana should be legal, he said.

Barraza and the child spent the night at the sister's home. The next day, Barraza went out for unknown reasons and the sister, on advice from a family member, took the daughter to a hospital. A blood test showed the little girl had marijuana in her system, Wagstaffe said.

Police were soon called. The sister told officers the girl's mother was addicted to marijuana and had behaved irresponsibly with the child in the past, Wagstaffe said.

Barraza pleaded not guilty Sept. 29 in San Mateo County Superior Court to the misdemeanor charge. She is being held in lieu of $7,500 bail.

:bong:

Sounds like my mum.

deadshit should have kept her stash where the kids couldnt get to it.

no sympathy here.

maybe it was intentional , just trying to shut the brat up and get her to bed... but yeah it wouldnt take much and could be fatal , silly woman.

deadshit should have kept her stash where the kids couldnt get to it.

no sympathy here.

You know, it's possible that the girl snatched the brownie soon after it came out the oven. Because kids are just like that. My younger brother once stole a sip of white wine (thinking it was his lemonade), and before I could say anything, he was already back to going crazy on an inflatable castle. :P

Barraza later told police it was not her fault because the child grabbed the drugged dessert before she could stop her.

Sorry to burst your wit bubble, but brownies are not a form of dessert. :rolleyes:

You know, it's possible that the girl snatched the brownie soon after it came out the oven. Because kids are just like that. My younger brother once stole a sip of white wine (thinking it was his lemonade), and before I could say anything, he was already back to going crazy on an inflatable castle.

meh, still no sympathy. u would hope if ur cooking with dakka with some kids in the house you would be a little more cautious...

unless ur stoned out of ur brain.

Irresponsible or not, I don't think the sister should have reported it to the police. That's only going to cause more problems for the child than the brownie ever did. Unless of course this mother has repeatedly mistreated/neglected the child... More information needed...

OR maybee it will teach the mum to keep her shit away/out of reach of her kids.

Quite the anti-pot person today, aren't we? Whatever happens, I doubt she'll ever trust her sister again.

maybe next time shell make kid friendly version with less THC :shroomer:

The biggest problem i have with these situations are financial burdens which don't sort the problem out at hand. Financial issues will do more harm than good to the child itself. I'm not sure how to interpret in lieu of $ bail, holding until bail paid? holding instead of bail for a period of time?

She had her kid at 15, pregnant at 14 (generally, don't need number nazis up my arse), probably hasn't finished school and if so probably has suffered from an educational point of view of what she could have achieved. (No i'm not saying young mums are uneducated dropkicks, the potential is fine, the biology is there for a reason, our society however creates the deadshit and there is a high abundance of) She doesn't need a lock up, or financial burdens, she needs education on all levels and good kick in the arse, welcome to reality where you are responsible for your actions and your actions influence the people around you. It's not solely her fault, our society has created and continues to create these situations over and over.

Doesn't trust her sister again? big deal, she needs to sort her irresponsible shit out, she's not one to be preaching in court how cannabis should be legal, keep her head down, shut her mouth, accept that she was grossly irresponsible (and has said to have been quite similar in the past) and work on becoming an adult who is a parent for that child, the fkn future of our society.

If a kid can snatch any sort of drug that is being introduced to the househould, then it's completely that persons fault, who gives a shit how quick a kid is, what is the substance doing within potential acquisition by the child at any time.

The harm cannabis could do to children is another topic, it can be used successfully and is being used on kids for medicinal application, this situation was not medicinal, the substance was not tailored to a specific kids ailments both composition and dosage, this topic more so pisses me off in the context of responsibility, awareness from the childs point of view, educated dosing and such a situation arising in this day of political climate where situations like this re-affirm anti-drug legislation in the mass of uneducated fearful voters, making it ever increasingly difficult and further degrading the lives of responsible users of all substances.

Media manipulation is one thing, maybe this story is twisted, but the stereo-type fits all too well is all too functioning in society.

Edited by gerbil
  • Like 1

Irresponsible or not, I don't think the sister should have reported it to the police. That's only going to cause more problems for the child than the brownie ever did. Unless of course this mother has repeatedly mistreated/neglected the child... More information needed...

Yeah more information needed. Either the sister overeacted and now the mom is facing charges, fines and a weakened relationship with her sister - all of which are added pressure to a young mum - or this is not the first time the mom has given the child something like this and the sister is acting in a serious way to help. It's not like the kid ate a plate of hammer or blow lying around.

Edited by botanika

Doesn't trust her sister again? big deal, she needs to sort her irresponsible shit out, she's not one to be preaching in court how cannabis should be legal, keep her head down, shut her mouth, accept that she was grossly irresponsible (and has said to have been quite similar in the past) and work on becoming an adult who is a parent for that child, the fkn future of our society.

Granted that what you're talking about is more important, losing the trust of a sister is a big deal. It could mean the end of a very important relationship.

If a kid can snatch any sort of drug that is being introduced to the househould, then it's completely that persons fault, who gives a shit how quick a kid is, what is the substance doing within potential acquisition by the child at any time.

It wasn't any sort of drug though, it was a weed brownie. And to the eyes of children, a weed brownie is a regular brownie.

Media manipulation is one thing, maybe this story is twisted, but the stereo-type fits all too well is all too functioning in society.

A complete and unbiased story from the Media on Cannabis use? What? Where? When? Why? Who? How? :P

Edit:

she's not one to be preaching in court how cannabis should be legal

As far as I know, she hasn't. The article only states that she told police officers that cannabis should be legal.

Edited by synchromesh

Granted that what you're talking about is more important, losing the trust of a sister is a big deal. It could mean the end of a very important relationship.

Well the ball is in the 'offenders' court, if she want's to mend a potential important relationship than that is her responsibility and her maturity and realisation of her actions will dictate the result.

It wasn't any sort of drug though, it was a weed brownie. And to the eyes of children, a weed brownie is a regular brownie.

That's just digging a hole imo, that's the whole point, a drugged 'treat' should not be accessable to a kid of that age. I can't see why it wouldn't be attempted to pull the remainder of the snatched good out of the kids mouth or induce vomiting asap.

Cannabis ranges from hemp to highly potent psychedelic material, particularly in oral dose the psychedelic effects can manifest in extreme ways, even standard drug material orally on a 60-100kg adult male with little tolerance (even with tolerance to a degree, and context specific to the material) can put that person on their arse for a good solid 2 days. An oral dose of cannabis of 'standard' potency (yes generalised, i realise chemistry differs broadly and 'standard' doses based on genetic chemical composition can yield varied results) is more or less no different to 2g dry of subs imo, if anything it can be more potent and longer lasting, particularly if a hangover occurs. It has the potential to be a serious psychedelic drug even with mediocre potency material.

As far as I know, she hasn't. The article only states that she told police officers that cannabis should be legal.

You're right, i apologise, got carried away with frustration, kept checking the article to see if i was making stuff up and i mis-read the 'police' bit.

Either way, yes it should be legal, but in context it's irrelevant, so if it was legal it's okay that her kid dosed on it? Mushrooms should be legal too but that doesn't make it okay for a kid to snatch a dose of them and then people just to go easy on the parent saying that's cool it was an simple mistake, kids are quick, no worries try not to let it happen again.

• Like 1

Well the ball is in the 'offenders' court, if she want's to mend a potential important relationship than that is her responsibility and her maturity and realisation of her actions will dictate the result.

Well, like a few of us have already said, we don't have the full story. And besides that, my point was never about laying the blame on a single person. My point was simply that if a relationship is broken, then both parties are affected.

That's just digging a hole imo, that's the whole point, a drugged 'treat' should not be accessable to a kid of that age. I can't see why it wouldn't be attempted to pull the remainder of the snatched good out of the kids mouth or induce vomiting asap.

My impression is that the remainder of the brownie was pulled out of the kid's mouth. What gives you the impression that it wasn't?

You're right, i apologise, got carried away with frustration, kept checking the article to see if i was making stuff up and i mis-read the 'police' bit.

No problem. I've done the same thing before as well. It's actually not that hard to do with the way a lot of news articles are written.

Either way, yes it should be legal, but in context it's irrelevant, so if it was legal it's okay that her kid dosed on it? Mushrooms should be legal too but that doesn't make it okay for a kid to snatch a dose of them and then people just to go easy on the parent saying that's cool it was an simple mistake, kids are quick, no worries try not to let it happen again.

Fair enough, but who's to say that the journalist has kept things in context? Maybe the woman only said what she did because a cop was giving her an anti-drug lecture...

I never said that it was cool! And I defy anybody to prove that kids aren't quick! Or curious... Or cunning either!

• Like 1

Her sister doesn't sound like a bitch to me, maybe she has been worried about the safety of the kid for other reasons, maybe these people's lives are way more fucked up than most of us can realize. I have been called every name under the sun, disowned and threats of violence by family members who are adults and children for even saying I will report abuse and neglect to the department of child protection, so I know something of how difficult and heartbreaking these situations can be, and it is never as simple and clear-cut as it may seem to someone with a different life who is outside the situation making a moral judgement based on a limited perspective.

This does not excuse child abuse and neglect, but I don't think we should be so quick to condemn people who are clearly in precarious situations based on some half-cocked news reports designed to inflame our prejudice anyway.

incognito, you sound like you are reacting to your shadow in this thread.. hehe sorry mate couldn't resist some more headshrinking. :)

Nothing but :wub:

Edited by .:illegal:brain:.

you sure have studied your D grade psychology 101 manual.

but yeah thanks for the illumination once again freud.

ill file it with your other analysis.

if it is true, and dependant on the strength and amount consumed, a brownie could have a large impact on a 4 year old childs health. ill stand by what i said. sorry if ive offended any stoners here.

but fuck, its your choice to take psychoactives, if u got kids u should at least keep it out of their access.

if a four year old child has consumed marijuana that has been left around by their parents, im my own personal view, and one held by Dept Community Services, that would constitute child abuse.

once again sorry in advance to the pot-heads on the board.

as it reads the mums a stooge for either a.leaving it within access, or b. giving it to the kid.(if thats what happened)

if i know my sister was giving her 4 yr old pot,(id def report her) or it was layin around where the kid could eat it i would give her the biggest of verbals and if it continued id rat her in like well a hella rat.

Edited by incognito

comment removed

sorry if ive offended any stoners here.
once again sorry in advance to the pot-heads on the board.

Two different things...

This story is going to be ammo for idiots once pressure comes for legalisation, that pressure will be coming from california. I doubt she said that and it's a shame if she did. But it doesnt reflect on most people who i kno who smoke weed at all.

For the record, I believe kids this age having access to pot is very bad, and should be hated, and adult carers are terribly irresponsible if they allow it to happen, even unintentionally.

And I am definitely not coming at this from a pro-pot angle, more pro-human and pro-love...

"the church of man, love, is such a holy place to be" - Ziggy Stardust

:huh::scratchhead:B):lol:

Edited by .:illegal:brain:.

comment removed

Edited by incognito

I love MJ, but NO drug is worth the potential harm of children, particular those under the age of 12. There were no health issues - which we know of - that a tiny amount of cannabis could've helped her with without some sort of medical professional's input. I once ate a reasonably large slice of Mcake and it spun me out in a way I've very rarely experienced w/ smoking it. For a 4yr old w/ NO tolerance whatsoever it wouldn't have really mattered how potent the content - and I'd think if the mum were experienced with M then it possibly wouldn't be weak as piss - that little girl wouldn't have been enjoying herself.

Depending on how the little girl was reacting, I think the sister had every right to take the girl to hospital and make sure 100% she's OK. An adult would be a different story, but you can't just take that risk with a 4yr old.