The Corroboree
planthelper

tasers suck

horrible news, two people dead, one from a taser another from mace spray.

i think it's horrible to say that those people were crooks and as such have to take this risk.

some people might die because of vulnerabileties, as sesitive to currents or anaphylactic shock,

no the cops have a new toy, and if those weapons are a life danger to some sensitive minoreties, we will never let the puplic know.

bring back the bullet, thank you as it's more human!

tasers and mace spray where initialy promoted in a way to say, they "are safer" but this clearly not the case,

worse so, they get even used as torture instrument, as we can see in the W A footage.

another thing i want coppers to learn more about is, "how to deal with the mentaly ill" as one doesn't have to shoot a person, just because they are psychotic. getting killed by cops, for mental illness, sucks big time...

Definitely doesn't help the person to treat him or her in this manner, and this violent apprehension (shoot first ask questions later) tactic seems to be occurring more and more often.

In the US taser usage has reached epidemic proportions and its quite common for the elderly , intellectually challenged and children to be tasered ... :wacko:

We cant grow a plant to help open the third eye chakra , but its perfectly fine to physically attack someone with weapons if you are in uniform , which may or may not cause death, and the person may or may not be doing anything wrong to begin with.

Police should be trained how to communicate as human beings, as i think they have forgotten how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQKiFPo80dU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bSQeq7XJ6o

If you look at the reality shows about Recruitment, training etc. The people who are not assertive assholes ready to mace, shoot, tackle or beat a suspected offender into submission in a instant are usually the ones who fail

Chief Inspector Fitzgerald said he would not say how many times the officer used his Taser on the man.

"We're looking after the police and their welfare and at this point the police are very comfortable with the circumstances surrounding this incident," he said.

In Bali they were selling tasers on the streets, not the ones that shoot barbs on wires but the ones used pressed against the flesh.

Police defend spraying children

Senior police are defending the use of capsicum spray on two children in less than a week, saying officers have no choice to use the weapon in some circumstances.

A 13-year-old girl was sprayed with capsicum foam at a fast food restaurant in southeast Melbourne on Monday night, coming six days after a 12-year-old boy was sprayed in central Victoria.

Both children were in highly-agitated states and brandishing weapons in the two incidents.

Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe says officers have "no further option" to turn to capsicum spray in such highly-volatile scenarios unfolding in public places.

"Do our people have to get injured as well?" he told ABC Radio.

"You can back off to a certain degree, but really we've got an obligation to resolve these situations and I think our people have done a pretty good job in both incidents."

Mr Walshe said any time officers can end a stand-off without injury should be celebrated.

"In both these situations, nobody's been injured and I think that's a very good outcome," he said.

"Both the individuals received the appropriate after-care and treatment and other professional assistance."

Child welfare advocates slammed the police action after the boy was sprayed last week.

On September 28, police were called to Axedale in central Victoria to deal with the boy, who was acting violently, and used capsicum spray to subdue him.

Police initially would not say if the boy was armed but later in justifying their action said the 12-year-old had a tomahawk or axe, then later still called the weapon a fence picket.

On Monday, police were called to Keysborough where a 13-year-old girl was brandishing a large kitchen knife.

A police statement says the teenager was "seeking to engage the police in confrontation" but after a negotiation at the fast food restaurant she dropped the weapon.

"But then (she) produced a second knife from her bag and continued to challenge police," the statement says.

"Throughout the incident police were in contact with the teen's mother, who was present at the scene, and provided police with the background information necessary to make appropriate decisions."

Mr Walshe said the mother was giving police her child's history and she was in a "highly agitated, very anxious state".

Police say when the child refused to drop the second knife, they decided to use the capsicum spray.

"Due to the escalation of the circumstances, capsicum foam was deployed," police said.

http://news.ninemsn....aspx?id=8099947

Edited by blowng

POLICE have used a Taser to incapacitate a pregnant Queensland woman and could also use them to incapacitate young children, according to the Australian distributor of the weapons. George Hately, who also trains officers to use Tasers, told Perth radio last year that Queensland police called him for advice as they faced a pregnant woman wielding two knives.

"I said part of your training is to be aware of how someone falls," he said.

"Now she was a big lady and in that situation they sent in two guys, and when they did attempt to Taser her, they had one guy ready to catch her basically so she wouldn't fall.

"Taser may still be the best option even though she's pregnant."

Queensland Police last night said there was no record of a pregnant woman being subdued by a Taser.

However police admitted using one to subdue a woman who was allegedly assaulting a pregnant woman.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Mr Hately said fetuses were not harmed by the 50,000-volt current and Tasers had safely been used on people aged six to 86.

As lawyers and civil libertarians continued to condemn Police Minister Judy Spence for rushing the decision to give all front-line police Tasers, more questions emerged on how police would use the potentially lethal weapons. Police said all officers using Tasers had to pass a training course that taught "strict policies and procedures".

The policy says Tasers "should not" be used against juveniles or women "suspected on reasonable grounds of being pregnant" but leaves room for officers to deploy them in "extreme circumstances", which are not defined.

Ms Spence said the cost of introducing Tasers to all front-line police would be more than $3 million, but the money had not yet been approved for the next Budget.

She dismissed an Amnesty International report blaming Tasers for 290 deaths since 2001.

"A Queensland Police Service evaluation team has reviewed a number of deaths internationally where Tasers were used, however indications are that none of these deaths have been directly attributed to the Taser," she said.

"Other factors such as drug intoxication and positional asphyxiation have been established as the cause of death."

All front-line West Australian police have been armed with Tasers for about eight months and operate under similar vague guidelines. A WA police spokesman said police required "sufficient justification" to use the weapons and had to fill out a "use of force report" each time they deployed a Taser.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/police-taser-pregnant-woman/story-e6freuzr-1111115441198

In Bali they were selling tasers on the streets, not the ones that shoot barbs on wires but the ones used pressed against the flesh.

Same with Bangkok 5 years ago. You can buy them within Australia if you are in the right circles. That is how people in pubs have gained access to them.

Same with Bangkok 5 years ago. You can buy them within Australia if you are in the right circles. That is how people in pubs have gained access to them.

saw one come in from bali last week looking like a mobile phone, confiscated the guys laser pointers but didnt see the phone as fake. :BANGHEAD2:

before the internet i bought in the schematics for a taser and ended up with a visit from the feds stating that it shouldnt have been released to me and they werent leaving without it.i think it was in an ad in popular electronics/mechanics the feds said around a dozen were brought in around oz and all were being seized.

but i like the cops having them cos there are a lot of assholes that need serious attitude adjustment. :devil:

Stun guys are legal in the US. Now they have models up to 3million volts.

I think reportage or statement about what happened to justify the use of the weapon.

Some cops suck.

I'd rather be tasered than shot.

yeah but the ones from bali just feel like your being pinched really hard

yeah but the ones from bali just feel like your being pinched really hard

Different story in Thailand. They are real stun guns.

There was talk of tasers being equipped with a digital logging device inbuilt that records how many times and how long the device was operated for. I haven't heard much talk of that since the weekends incidents.

There was a time when a police officer would command respect because of their size.

These days a lot of police are timid, softly spoken short arses and they seem to expect respect when they don't deserve it.

People just don't respect police in general anymore, we've all grown up hearing stories of corrupt police (underbelly type stuff) getting off with much smaller sentences or sometimes no sentence for offences that would land the average person gaol.

Without respect we're going to get a lot more of these incidents in the future.

Maybe they should spend a few bucks training them how to deal with humans, rather than the current attitude that we are all offenders.

Hardened criminals will be forced to adopt the shoot first mentality to stay alive. :uzi:

Police anger me so much these days.

These days a lot of police are timid' date=' softly spoken short arses and they seem to expect respect when they don't deserve it.[/quote']

From my experience most cops expect respect when they don't deserve it, yes. But from what I've seen they are aggressive bullies. It does seem that we're all offenders in their eyes, and their revenue raising bullshit, giving fines for swearing (yes, fucking swearing when they could be making a proper difference by catching real crims.

Little more than a thug with a badge and a ticket book imo. Worse even because they're in the right no matter what they do it seems.

Mr Hately said fetuses were not harmed by the 50,000-volt current and Tasers had safely been used on people aged six to 86.

I find it hard to believe that true of anyone! That a 50k volt current will not cause harm is ridiculous beyond belief in my opinion. Damage may not have been recorded on site, but implications could be lasting, or delayed.

Just my 2c

some people might die because of vulnerabileties, as sesitive to currents or anaphylactic shock,

no the cops have a new toy, and if those weapons are a life danger to some sensitive minoreties, we will never let the puplic know.

Tasers have already claimed many people's lives. And not all of those people were "vulnerable" either. In fact, some of them were very healthy.

I'd rather be tasered than shot.

Really? When was the last time you heard about a cop killing somebody by shooting them in the leg? :P

Police anger me so much these days.

From my experience most cops expect respect when they don't deserve it, yes. But from what I've seen they are aggressive bullies. It does seem that we're all offenders in their eyes, and their revenue raising bullshit, giving fines for swearing (yes, fucking swearing when they could be making a proper difference by catching real crims.

Little more than a thug with a badge and a ticket book imo. Worse even because they're in the right no matter what they do it seems.

Maybe if the following things were to occur (watch out people, I must be an expert! :wink:), we would start seeing a better police force:

1/ Raise the base pay of the police officers. If they truly are "peace keepers", then they deserve to be treated that way.

2/ Stop giving pay rises to police officers who have simply raised revenue. Instead, only give pay rises to police officers who actually show incentive, and do things like solving crimes.

3/ Get rid of the "us and them" mentality which exists inside the force. It breeds too much distrust and contempt for the country's citizens.

4/ Only employ police officers who are intelligent and respectful. "To protect and serve" means nothing if the average police officer is a spineless meathead.

5/ Make police officers accountable as anybody else who would assault or murder another human being.

6/ Stop making police officers treat the law book like it's their bible. Instead, instruct them to put most of their focus towards the crimes which cause the most grief.

7/ Find out what this "paper work" problem is all about, and fix it. If new "crimes" have to be invented in order to keep the police in work, then I don't understand why we need them.

8/ Destroy all of the tasers, and never bring them back again.

I find it hard to believe that true of anyone! That a 50k volt current will not cause harm is ridiculous beyond belief in my opinion. Damage may not have been recorded on site, but implications could be lasting, or delayed.

Damage doesn't always have to be physical either. What about psychological damage?

There was a time when a police officer would command respect because of their size.

These days a lot of police are timid, softly spoken short arses and they seem to expect respect when they don't deserve it.

People just don't respect police in general anymore, we've all grown up hearing stories of corrupt police (underbelly type stuff) getting off with much smaller sentences or sometimes no sentence for offences that would land the average person gaol.

In my opinion, that's one of the worst things which has happened to the AFP. By employing practically anybody, they're basically telling us that a badge and a gun is all the authority you need. But if that's the case, the only difference between Wyatt and the cowboys he killed was a piece of tin.

Without respect we're going to get a lot more of these incidents in the future.

Maybe they should spend a few bucks training them how to deal with humans, rather than the current attitude that we are all offenders.

The government always needs some sort of unhealthy divide though. Because if the police, the people and the army ended up on the same wave-length, there most probably wouldn't be any government left to speak of. Or I should say, there probably would be, although it would be very different to the current one, and many members of the current one would find it hard to get work in the new one. :)

I was under the - mistaken? - impression cops were only taught to shoot guns at torsos. If so, yes, I'd still much prefer to be tasered than shot. Tasers also I believe reduce the collateral damage of a stray bullet if others are in the area. Couldn't bullets cause extensive damage and/or infection no matter whereabouts on the body it was shot at?

I still think every single use of an authoritive and licensed weapon should be audited for the appropriateness of its' use. I want to know for 100% sure what was said and done to try and remove the danger of the young teenage girl - who apparently was extremely threatening with knives - BEFORE using the taser on her.

I also still think there would be very reasonable times for tasers and even guns (pistols, pump action shotties, whatever a licensed non-psycho authorative figure carrried) but the reason better be damn good, with the RIGHT person behind the weapon. Obviously there's some extremely nutbag power hungry coppers out there and these and other bad eggs should be removed from the force. But what then? Isn't there a shortage for qualified coppers? Agree with Synchromesh's points about fixing the police force and associated problems. Going to take a long time and a very big administrative shakeup for that to happen, and the Boys Club Stick To Their Own attitude with the force is utterly outdated and inappropriate. Not to mention highly volatile and only incites mistrust to the force.

Respect goes both ways, and society in general will never be entirely rid of the troublemakers; BUT the authorities trained and paid to keep society peaceful and liveable should never put up with the bad eggs in their own units. How can they possibly expect us to put up with that?

I don't have an answer, and I suspect there's no quick fix unless lots of good hearted, strong minded, responsible, and well-adjusted individual adult applies for a job within the force. And since I'm not going to do that, and we NEED coppers of some shape and form, who's going to do the job for us instead?

I was under the - mistaken? - impression cops were only taught to shoot guns at torsos. If so, yes, I'd still much prefer to be tasered than shot. Tasers also I believe reduce the collateral damage of a stray bullet if others are in the area. Couldn't bullets cause extensive damage and/or infection no matter whereabouts on the body it was shot at?

Police will attempt to first disable or incapacitate by shooting at limbs, legs are good if the target doesn't have a ranged weapon to shoot/throw.

Extensive damage can be caused, but I'd rather have a shattered femur than be a corpse. Even a tiny chance is too much risk when you're dead if you miss. Infection is not so likely, as if the target is apprehended they will likely get medical treatment for those bullet wounds :P

i'd like to say that, i'm sure police men are screened, to avoid any wrong people from being allowed to use those wepons.

what i am very concerned with is that, i think a taser is a weapon, which in an almost (un)natural way becomes easy a torture instrument.

a glock can't become a torture instrument as easy, get it.

and to get a little bit of pleasure seeing the suffering of others, might be an evolutional leftover, so our distant ancestors, would not starve. a struggling animal is what is needed to eat is the brain reward.

i got another theory, i call it the sabretooth effect. i think there is more than just flight and fright responce at hand, when at time people run away from the coppers. i think that some parts of our brains might see a policeman as a sabretooth tigre (and they are the modern day equvialant) and just run because, they try not to become prey.

that more so happens maybe with car chases. but sure mostly the try to escape for other reasons...

WTF:

This week's death in Sydney was at least the third recorded Taser death in Australia. Two men also died last year, one after being tasered up to 28 times by police in Townsville.
Their misuse can amount to torture, as well as lead to serious injury. In one case, a man in Western Australia received third-degree burns to 10 per cent of his body, including burns to his throat, after police tasered him while he was carrying a fuel container and a cigarette lighter.
The NSW Ombudsman and the Northern Territory Coroner have expressed serious concerns about inappropriate Taser use. In one of the more absurd incidents, in April last year, Geraldton police tasered a person who was driving a car.
If Tasers were only used to prevent recourse to handguns, one would hope we would not have seen the shocking incident in Western Australia, where it is alleged that police tasered a pregnant 18-year-old woman up to eight times.
It is also unlikely that we would have seen police in South Australia use a Taser to subdue a man in a mental health crisis, and New South Wales police might have avoiding use of a Taser against an 18-year-old at Carols by Candlelight to defuse a situation.

More will die unless Taser use restricted

Furthermore, the death came less than 24 hours after a video emerged of a mentally disturbed man being tasered 13 times by officers in Western Australia (WA).

The WA Corruption and Crime Commission has released video footage of a 2008 incident at the East Perth Watch House where a man was surrounded by nine police officers and tasered 13 times.

It has also been revealed that a week later he was subjected to similar treatment by corrective service officers who tasered him 11 times as they tried to get him out of his cell at the East Perth Lockup.

Taser death sparks widespread outrages in Australia

A 2008 report (PDF) from Amnesty International found 351 Taser-related deaths in the US between June, 2001 and August, 2008, a rate of just slightly above four deaths per month.

A database of Taser-related deaths maintained at the African-American issues blog Electronic Village counts 96 deaths related to the use of Tasers since January, 2009.

Assuming the statistics are correct, that indicates the death rate has increased to an average of five per month.

Analysis: Taser-related deaths in US accelerating

www.Excited-Delirium.com

People get tasered. People die. Is there a connection? [YES!]

i got another theory, i call it the sabretooth effect. i think there is more than just flight and fright responce at hand, when at time people run away from the coppers. i think that some parts of our brains might see a policeman as a sabretooth tigre (and they are the modern day equvialant) and just run because, they try not to become prey.

that more so happens maybe with car chases. but sure mostly the try to escape for other reasons...

I think there could be something to this. Why else would so many innocent* people get involved in car chases?

* "Innocent" as in they haven't broken any road laws.

Simple solution to stopping police abuse is to stop crime yeah? And the need for such "vigilant" policing. Simple solution to stop crime is to stop making everything against the law or taxable. People get over being treated as sheep, unlike sheep we have opposable thumbs and large neo-cortexes, we can actually choose to disobey, therein lies crime and punishment.

Often wonder if a gun is even shown in certain situations, or whether they just reach straight for the tazer / spray. Surely if the offender is only armed with a knife a police officer could threaten with a gun to try and get the person to drop the weapon, while another has the tazer / spray ready to go. I think a gun pointed directly at someone would be enough to get them to drop a knife and surrender themselves, if they get even more aggravated following that or attempt to charge the officers then the others could spray / tazer them quite easily

ad

Edited by Teljkon

vic police comm was saying today on radio that officers actually dont get any form of training in how to difuse a violent situation only how perform an arrest under pressure.