The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Appetite enhancer

Recently, I've been trying to eat healthier and put on a bit of weight. As it is, I don't feel hungry at all on 2 meals a day, and I'm quite skinny.

For a while, I managed to force myself to have 3 meals a day, and some fruit snacks inbetween and within a few weeks the effects were quite noticable. But as always, my body just decided it didn't agree with my brain, and I stopped feeling hungry again.

Is there any readily available plant I can try, apart from our good friend Mary Jane to increase my hunger? Googling for appetite enhancer returns things common garden herbs that I eat a lot anyway, but I'm looking for something with the same "munchies" effect as mj.

[ 24. February 2005, 09:23: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Alcohol

Not really the same as mumchies but definately seems to enhance appetite.

alcohol doesnt make me hungry

what about some aroma theropy?

i dont know anything about it but i do know i can be not hungry at all and smell something really sweet and pelasant and just want to dig in!

quote:

what about some aroma theropy?

i dont know anything about it but i do know i can be not hungry at all and smell something really sweet and pelasant and just want to dig in!

Can you get essence of BBQ aroma theropy ? MMMMMMM........

planthelper, I'm similar.

For a while, I had little to no money, so I'd opt to only eat dinner, or nothing, and spend the little money I had on bus fare to uni/back.

The bad thing is, I wasn't hungry as a result, I had no trouble eating nothing from 8am wake time to 7-8 pm when dinner was served, and even then I might not eat until much later that night.

Not eating regulary over a long period of time can set you up for type 2 diabeetes in older age.

Which is precisely why I'm looking for a decent appetite enhancer? Maybe I'll just visit the chemist this afternoon. Was kind of hoping for a natural remedy though.

do you drink coffee? or other stimulants? then that would be the first thing to stop.

I might drink a cup of tea, that's it...

I'll smoke a cigarette on occasion also, but nothing appetite modifying I think.

Do you really believe that a cup of tea every day is what is keeping my hunger at bay?

EDIT: On occasion means a cigarette every week.

[ 24. February 2005, 18:37: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Damn, that's a good point.

I don't put sugar or anything in my tea, so I don't have to brew it very strong...

I'll try moving my cup of tea to the afternoon and keep fruit and stuff for the morning.

Thanks for the tips guys.

exercise man...exrecise ! !

if your body is not burning fuel, its not goin to want fuel.

go for a light jog in the morning or arvo. youll soon find your appetite gos right up.

i run 7km everyday after work and eat 3 healthy meals a day. since doing this i sleep heaps better,think heaps clearer and feel heaps better about myself.

[ 24. February 2005, 22:41: Message edited by: mr b.caapi ]

mr b. caapi, I walk to the station to get to work every morning, its a 30 minute walk in full sun the whole way, same on the way home although sometimes I walk from work all the way home, which takes about an hour.

I'll step my excersise up though if you reckon it'll work.

O.K so the general consensus is to basically stay off the stimulants until after a meal and try and exert myself a little more.

Thanks for the tips!

Have you tried a Chinese herbalist? They're good at these synergistic complaints

Is Coin around? Has an good working knowledge of ayuvedic medicine

Or if you ever make it to the Lismore area, go and see Traditional Medicinals herbalists in Keen st Lismore.

I know this isn't much actual help, but I really can't think of anything directly. l-glutamine may antagonise those adrenaline levels for some people, but not sure if it would restore appetite

some sources claim that calea zacatechichi tea,

makes you hungry...

problem is, it doesn't taste nice.

my mom used to be the same, hardly eating,

and yes she developed type 2 diabetes later in live.

since i have no family anymore, it's even harder for me to eat, it's allways easier for me to eat if i am in company.

at the last eb for example, i ate regular because of the group situation and the set meal breaks and my body felt much better because of it.

i think this is partly a genetic thing,

and i remeber that as a child it was the same for me, all i ate was bread rolls with nothing added, whilst reading books.

i allways thought steroids would be my answere, to this problem.

btw, some of the previous replys sound like, well it's your own fault no wonder you are not hungry if you have one smoke and one cuppa...

c'on guys get real, you people smoke and drink lot's of coffee and still get hungry,

so don't blame a single cuppa or smoko for this loss of appetite.

maybe those body builder protein powders are the way to go for us, we could just slurp it down as a liquid breakfast....

doctors often prescribe periactin to increase appetite. i also think it's an antihistamine

quote:

at the last eb for example, i ate regular because of the group situation and the set meal breaks and my body felt much better because of it.

Interesting observation planthelper i know that when i get left to batch i hardly eat right , but i just put it down to me being to lazy to cook for one.

I'm pretty much the same as Planthelper and Apothecary and I've found chewing on fresh chilli's around mealtime promotes digestive juices-therefore hunger.

It says in my Ayurveda book for appetisers Chilli,Garlic and Ginger which all promote digestion.It sounds like you're a Vata type constitution like myself and Planthelper so do a search for Ayurveda,constitution,vata,foods or something like that.

In saying that stress and/or depression also play a major role in appetite.