The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

UN 'to appoint space ambassador to greet alien visitors'

UN 'to appoint space ambassador to greet alien visitors'

A space ambassador could be appointed by the United Nations to act as the first point of contact for aliens trying to communicate with Earth.

Mazlan Othman, a Malaysian astrophysicist, is set to be tasked with co-ordinating humanity’s response if and when extraterrestrials make contact.

Aliens who landed on earth and asked: “Take me to your leader” would be directed to Mrs Othman.

She will set out the details of her proposed new role at a Royal Society conference in Buckinghamshire next week.

The 58-year-old is expected to tell delegates that the proposal has been prompted by the recent discovery of hundreds of planets orbiting other starts, which is thought to make the discovery of extraterrestrial life more probable than ever before.

Mrs Othman is currently head of the UN’s little known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa).

In a recent talk to fellow scientists, she said: “The continued search for extraterrestrial communication, by several entities, sustains the hope that some day human kind will received signals from extraterrestrials.

“When we do, we should have in place a coordinated response that takes into account all the sensitivities related to the subject. The UN is a ready-made mechanism for such coordination.”

Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law at the UK space agency who leads delegations to the UN, said: “Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a ‘take me to your leader’ person”.

The plan to make Unoosa the co-ordinating body for dealing with alien encounters will be debated by UN scientific advisory committees and should eventually reach the body’s general assembly.

Opinion is divided about how future extraterrestrial visitors should be greeted. Under the Outer Space Treaty on 1967, which Unoosa oversees, UN members agreed to protect Earth against contamination by alien species by “sterilising” them.

Mrs Othman is understood to support a more tolerant approach.

But Professor Stephen Hawking has warned that alien interlopers should be treated with caution.

He said: “I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. The outcome for us would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

[1]

Hang on I thought they were already here, we call em politicians...

Now they have established themselves as the official 'leaders' of the world. These are not our true leaders, they shlould not meet with alien populations. We want to 'Put you best foot forward', I nominate a native American chief or an Australian Aboriginal Leader or a Great Scientist, philosopher or Artist Pehaps a Brazillian Shaman or a Buddhist/spiritual Leader. The dalai Lama, Alex Grey, Echart Tolle, or some cool scientist that I respect.

Any of these would be better than some halfwit beaurocrat (sp?).

Edit: We may have been duped: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/27/appoints-contact-visiting-space-aliens/

Article is called; U.N. Denies Appointing 'First Contact' for Visiting Space Aliens

Edited by ref1ect1ons

post-2528-128576270994_thumb.jpg

A UN gimick that clearly reflects what we will do to them in interpretive dance.

post-2528-128576268502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Korky

While its true the human race would be far, FAR better off being represented by the dalai lama, archbishop desmond tutu, or the venerable thich nhat hanh (he'd be my choice) the UN would never listen to them or any other influential peace and universal-love advocate. Its a sad reality that in order for the UN to prevent the permanent security council member nations from raining nukes down on an alien visitor they would have to think the UN is in control of the situation. Our best hope is the aliens had the sickness of politics in their recent past and so can understand that politicians dont represent anything but their own greed and foolishness. Hopefully the dominance of politicians and industrialists on earth isnt enough to scare away friendly aliens.

Resistence is useless!

'People of Earth, this is Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace planning council. As you are probably aware, plans for the development of the outlying regions of the galaxy involve the building of a hyperspace express route through your star system...and, unfortunately, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes. Thank you.

There's no point in acting all suprised about it. The plans and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning office in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your earth years, so you've had plenty of time to lodge formal complaints.

What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven's sake mankind, it's only four light years away you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own lookout.

Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all. Energize the demolition beams.'

Now they have established themselves as the official 'leaders' of the world. These are not our true leaders, they shlould not meet with alien populations. We want to 'Put you best foot forward', I nominate a native American chief or an Australian Aboriginal Leader or a Great Scientist, philosopher or Artist Pehaps a Brazillian Shaman or a Buddhist/spiritual Leader. The dalai Lama, Alex Grey, Echart Tolle, or some cool scientist that I respect.

Any of these would be better than some halfwit beaurocrat (sp?).

Ditto.

yes those pesky aliens, how do they get here...of course by spacecraft what else, how do they cross the bounds of space...apparently they can fly at or faster than the speed of light, at the speed of light thousands of years to cross a small distance in space terms, so the light speed powered spaceships (highly improbable) would have to have a pretty thick skin right, pretty good at dodging the millions of small rocks and particles floating just waiting for a very high speed of impact, of course these highly sophisticated beings may just be able to teleport, basically breaking all of natures rules...then after this non returning, one way, time bending, stone dodging, thousands of years, teleporting, extreme intelligence, technologically advanced, non mutineering, unimaginable, breaking all of natures laws, beating god, reproducing, self sustaining, improbable and simply weird idea to even think there is a possibility this could ever happen, after all this.......they will want to say HI or take over our planet........balderdash. the sheer distance will ever stop this happening, even if there was intelligent life.....................anywhere, they cant travel the distance or with the unfinite measure of time its not likely a tiny amount for example a billion years........in the billion times a billion years that the universe has probably been here, that even if it took a billion years to create a intelligent lifeform that those billions of years would simply exist in the same time frame side by side, if a intelligent life did exist........and im not saying hypothetically it cant who is to say they lived and died, thousands of billions of years before we talk now. everything has to work together........aliens are nothing but a figment of the imagination via mass marketing of hollywood cinema, everything we have created we have created ourselves and everything else has been created through the time and chemicals of our planet and immediate space, believe in anything you want to believe in but i believe in nothing, we are trapped by our minds but we are also trapped by time.

aliens are nothing but a figment of the imagination via mass marketing of hollywood cinema

So says the person who got all of his space travel ideas from Star Trek. B)

First contact: The man who'll welcome aliens

"But what's the alternative? Imagine we go to the United Nations: 'There's an alien community over there and everyone has to think about what our response might be, so we're turning it over to you, the United Nations, who are so adept at finding harmonious solutions to the world's problems.' Well, of course it would be a complete shambles. And which are the agencies that can truly represent humanity? You wouldn't go to the Catholic church, would you? Or the US Army."

:)

The problem is that we need to rethink our idea on a representive, a politician wont scare any water stealing ex humanoid or virgin alienoid being.

I can speak mandarin mr alien and i come in peace.

post-5986-128620096473_thumb.jpg

Its way to conservative, perhaps an aggresive approach is needed, we send in somebody who may be able to sexually attract them as a offering of peace.

post-5986-128620132535_thumb.jpg

Personally i would send in someone just to do some basic bargaining...

post-5986-128620143095_thumb.jpg

but in the end the riches we have on planet earth will simply tempt the aliens too much, for they seek to rest and recouperate in the non volitile human atmospere and seek out new and interesting foods to sample..

post-5986-128620162343_thumb.jpg

to make the relationship work, we need to appeal to the spirit of humanity...for them to just accept us for who we are

post-5986-128620258176_thumb.jpg

we need to show them that through humour we can share a joke together, mr alien ...........knock knock, who's there

post-5986-128620188465_thumb.jpg

the only true inhabitant who may communicate the story of planet earth is our god that nourishes us, the keeper of earth.....by the laws of interstellar communication i present........the oracle.

post-5986-128620229858_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128620188465_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128620229858_thumb.jpg

post-5986-128620258176_thumb.jpg