The Corroboree
Bread Filter

Loph on Peres Graft Problems

Hey guys.

I bought this Loph graft a few months back to give to a mate and everything was fine until recently he sent me this picture

copyofloph1.jpg

Apparently it is worse now and the Peres has completely folded over so that the Loph is touching the soil. I assume I am going to have try and regraft this? I have no experience whatsoever with grafting and would appreciate any help you guys can provide. I have lots of Cactus that I can use as the scion but no Peres that is ready to go.

The stock has rotted and it has infected the loph also. You need to regraft it but I think you won't have much luck due to the Loph being infected. I would dust those exposed orange areas with a fungicide (sulphor, copper oxy or Mancozeb) cut it off the stock and assess the internal damage to the loph. If you see orange areas inside she is pretty much lost :(

HN

Edited by Hellonasty

The stock has rotted and it has infected the loph also. You need to regraft it but I think you won't have much luck due to the Loph being infected. I would dust those exposed orange areas with a fungicide (sulphor, copper oxy or Mancozeb) cut it off the stock and assess the internal damage to the loph. If you see orange areas inside she is pretty much lost :(

HN

Thanks heaps for the reply.

By cut it off the stock do you mean cut the small section where they both attach or slice a portion off the bottom of the Loph?

slice the loph from the bottom up until you see no more rot and then a little bit just to be safe, if there is enough, then re-graft to another stock, more than like will be a flat graft so you will need to overlap the rings and then weigh it down for two or three days ' until the graft takes '. I use pachanoi and wrap a strip of T-shirt material [stretchy] over the top and hook it onto the spines of the pach.

Edited by dworx

slice the lopfrom the bottom up until you see no more rot and then a little bit just to be safe, if there is enough, then re-graft to another stock, more than like will be a flat graft so you will need to overlap the rings and then weigh it down for two or three days ' until the graft takes '. I use pachanoi and wrap a strip of T-shirt material [stretchy] over the top and hook it onto the spines of the pach.

Thanks for that. I can understand what I am supposed to do now.

I'll check out some grafting info then have a go at it tomorrow.

Think of the Olympic rings when you graft so the rings overlap.

• Like 1

If you dont want to attempt a regraft you could just cut the perez as close to the base of the loph as possible then callous & get it going on its own roots

the loph actually looks like its fairly healthy other than the discoloured patch & will pull through ok :scratchhead:

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

If you dont want to attempt a regraft you could just cut the perez as close to the base of the loph as possible then callous & get it going on its own roots

the loph actually looks like its fairly healthy other than the discoloured patch & will pull through ok :scratchhead:

I might actually have a go at doing this method as I have never done any grafting before. Thanks mac.

In my opinion your best bet is definitely regrafting, I have regrafted heaps of lophs that have been infected and had success. A loph in distress will rot rather than root, just make sure you make a cut in the loph that does not contain the red section I can see a nice gap in your picture................but what would I know ??

HN

Edited by Hellonasty

So the loph was touching the soil?

The picture is a bit crappy so I can't really tell 100% whats going on.. but is it possible that the rot was caused by the loph sitting on the soil rather than it being 'transferred' via the pere's? If the bottom of the loph is in better shape perhaps try grafting that, (upside down) - or do both. Hopefully you have something to graft to lying around?

I believe that pere's have about a year or so in them before the graft becomes to big or the pere's just gives up. My grafts to peres do the droop as well and it's then time to either re-graft or get them onto their own roots.

Let us know how you go with the graft... I'm sure you are aware of Teozlacotls, (sp?) wicked grafting manual?

peace

re-graft

it should be fine

IME it was the loph that was infected from orange rot first and then the pere stocks, but the re-grafts were successful

So the loph was touching the soil?

The picture is a bit crappy so I can't really tell 100% whats going on.. but is it possible that the rot was caused by the loph sitting on the soil rather than it being 'transferred' via the pere's? If the bottom of the loph is in better shape perhaps try grafting that, (upside down) - or do both. Hopefully you have something to graft to lying around?

I believe that pere's have about a year or so in them before the graft becomes to big or the pere's just gives up. My grafts to peres do the droop as well and it's then time to either re-graft or get them onto their own roots.

Let us know how you go with the graft... I'm sure you are aware of Teozlacotls, (sp?) wicked grafting manual?

peace

The photo quality was decided by Steve Jobs :)

The Loph is now touching the soil as the peres has bent right over. It has only been touching the soil for a few hours at most.

I have downloaded the grafting manual, thanks for the advice. Glad to hear that I am not alone.

re-graft

it should be fine

IME it was the loph that was infected from orange rot first and then the pere stocks, but the re-grafts were successful

I hadn't thought about it like that. That makes perfect sense, thanks mutant.

I agree, looks like you should regraft but not too Peres as it won't support the weight. Graft to a faster growing cactus such as T. pachanoii or M. geometrizans.

Emergency grafts were my first grafts, and im glad i did them! Dont be scared to try as long as you remove any infected /dis-coloured flesh from the scion before re-grafting.

maybe the injuries started off with a sun burn??

or why are both the peres and the loph affected on the same side?

i would regraft and i am sure it will take and survive.

i once had to leave some orange rot, i could not cut all out, as nothing of the loph would have been left and it still survived and even became a strong grower.

mac's idea, to re root the peres if possible, is nice too, but i would not try to make it form it's own roots.

i just had a silly idea, one could practice cutting, by using cucumbers.

what i mean is, if you do a bit of kitchen knive work, than one is probably qualified to graft,

but, if you hardly ever handle a knive normaly, than practice cutting straight with cucumbres.

i just had another silly idea, you could send the loph to an experienced grafter, in case you want to chicken out. than after a few weeks they can send it back to you.

an online loph graft doctor...

• Like 2

maybe the injuries started off with a sun burn??

or why are both the peres and the loph affected on the same side?

i would regraft and i am sure it will take and survive.

i once had to leave some orange rot, i could not cut all out, as nothing of the loph would have been left and it still survived and even became a strong grower.

mac's idea, to re root the peres if possible, is nice too, but i would not try to make it form it's own roots.

i just had a silly idea, one could practice cutting, by using cucumbers.

what i mean is, if you do a bit of kitchen knive work, than one is probably qualified to graft,

but, if you hardly ever handle a knive normaly, than practice cutting straight with cucumbres.

i just had another silly idea, you could send the loph to an experienced grafter, in case you want to chicken out. than after a few weeks they can send it back to you.

an online loph graft doctor...

It was in a greenhouse all winter so I don't think it was sunburn.

Thanks for the cucumber tip. I am not experienced with knives at all. I'll get a couple today.

I was going to do the graft yesterday but just couldn't cut up any of my babies. I went to Bunnings to try and find something to buy but the cupboard was bare. I'll go to a different store today.

I am definitely going to attempt the graft myself, it was something I was working up to anyway. I'll post the pics up here when it is done.

I'd have to say that's the best description I've seen, that's the perfect way to explain grafting to a noob.

+1 for that Dworx :)

get aswell some box cutters, they are my favorite for grafts your size.

they come very sharp, so be careful.

the good thing with the box cutter is that the blade is absolutely straight, and as such facilitates "clean cuts". to use it just get the blade out ~8cm or so.

tools/equipment needed:

box cutter

stockings, or pebbles with at least one level surface, or a metal thread nut (hardware store)

loph

cacti to graft onto

1, cut the sicion first... just take a one dollar coin thick slice off the sicion.

can you see the ring appear, if its still a spot and not a ring cut another thinner slice off.

leave the "ring" small, than....

2, cut the loph in a similar fashion and watch out for the ring of the loph.

cut all damged material out, just by perfect salami cutting action.

most people advocate that sicion ring and loph ring don't have to match in size, but i always try to match them in size. aswell most people prefere the olympic rings, but i like to perfectly match the rings, and rather seek central aliment.

3, back to the sicion, which will cut/slice now in a fashion which will fit the loph as good as possible.

all the rips have to be cut downwards and the level area left ought o fit in size with the surface area of the cut loph.

4, put loph onto sicion (dont let any cuts get older than a few seconds) and weight it down with the pebble or thread nut (thread nuts are heavy and have a big hole, so they dont fall off a curved surface lika a loph, they even let some light in)

this is best done already in the area wher the new graft will be stored till save, becaus it's hard to carry this graft.

or use the stocking methode (stocking pulls down the loph)

those fresh grafts are sensitive and have to be stored away from the pets.

it is possible to graft small lophs on large cacti, but i think it ought to be done only if nothing else was at hand. my thinking behind this is that, the less callused area is exposed (loph and sicion) the better.

surfaces which callus can be a source of trouble (fungi attack on fresh callus)

Nice job man! I've got so much Harrisia Martini it's not funny, so if you want additional grafting stocks, shoot me a PM :D

Nice job man! I've got so much Harrisia Martini it's not funny, so if you want additional grafting stocks, shoot me a PM :D

Thanks for the offer. I am not planning on doing anymore for a while as I don't have the heart to cut up my babies. This was just an emergency. Thanks anyway though.

Did you tape it down? pantyhose or sumthin? i hope you did , also a loose bag (sandwhich type , ziplock) over teh top to prevent drying to quick and keep out floating spores...

and i agree that box cutters are the way to go

Did you tape it down? pantyhose or sumthin? i hope you did , also a loose bag (sandwhich type , ziplock) over teh top to prevent drying to quick and keep out floating spores...

Yeah I forgot to mention I went with the material option. It works perfectly.

Thanks for the tip with the baggie, I'll put a clean ounce bag over it.

nice job, congrats!

you know, "cutting things" used to be my job, and manuel skills are something i deeply adore.

some people can fillet a fish first time round because hand eye coordination is part of ther everyday work,

but what i'm trying to say is, if a non skilled person does the grafting, i admire that even more!!

i can see on the photo how your knife cuts are a little bit wobbly, but thats just makes your achivment even a better one!

what is the material option to secure the graft?

i would not use a humidety chamber with regrafts, but many people like doing it, and it would certainly have some advantges.