The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Cyjack

Ipomoea - Morning Glory Question

Hi all,

I planted some heavenly blue just before spring last year for the first time. Now since the hot days of summer seem well and trully over, I did not think my morning glory was going to bloom this time around... untill I noticed these strange things coming off it;

mgx.jpg

Can someone tell me if these are the seed pods or flowers or what?

My thanks as always. :)

Wow are you sure it's an MG?

Never seen that type of growth before, they normally have a spiral type growth which is easily identifiable as a flower.

Maybe an Ololiuqui though cause I've never grown one!

Nice Madiera Vine (Anredera cordifolia) :) You might be wanting to pull that out before it drops its potato-like aerial tubers, its a shit of a weed.

R u in Nth NSW?

I am in Southern NSW - Wollongong to be more precise.

It's a whatsamacallit? So its not Morning Glory>?

Something tells me that the seeds of both plants look very much alike...

So I have been fertilising this?

quote:

Anredera cordifolia

family: BASELLACEAE

Description

Aggressive, rampant twining perennial climber from South America, which races to the canopy, curtaining all vegetation with its thick rope-like stems and dense foliage.

Ok - thanks for your help. Take one last look before I begin the cutting process.....

[ 18. February 2005, 15:44: Message edited by: Cyjack ]

Ok - I have planted the last two seeds I had of MG and this is the result in a few days -

mg2.jpg

Does this look like Morning Glory?

I must say that I dont remember seeing anything like this before... so i might finally be on the right track.

Thanks - :)

yeah those seedlings def look like mg's to me, i just have some pearly gates growing and they looked similiar to that..i think i may have had some heavanly blues but died early on...good luck

Thanks for that. This is the most exciting part - when they are breaking through and finding the light! Man I love life :D

Cheers -

yep, you are definitely in the right family now (convolvulaceae)

Ah, that's better! Pull your other one out and throw in the garbage bin, honestly!

Yeah, they are definitely MG.

Buuuuut, if those seedlings are that size right now, I don't like your chances of them surviving until next season.

Annual plant - Winter approaching.

My MG seed pods have just started going brown over the past week, so it's harvest time now.

I've got about 80 seeds in the past 2 days, and there are a whole buttload more to come! :D

Thanks all - the other one is down and was taken away by the trash man yesterday. I took care to remove all the little nodes too - I have seen how easily those things can establish themselves.

I realise that Autumn is almost upon us, but I am hoping the little ones will survive in my green house. It gets full sun most of the day right from the morn (it faces east).

Benzito - can I ask how long have you waited for harvest since you put seed to soil? Also, do you need to kill the plant to harvest the seeds, or is the relationship with MG a long term one?

Thanks! :)

erowid claims its 6 weeks from seed -> setting seed, but I'm not sure how accurate a description that is.

Do me a favour, record the growing of your plants, I'll probably contact you in request for information for the wiki project.

quote:

Benzito - can I ask how long have you waited for harvest since you put seed to soil?

I planted in the 1st month of spring, don't remember exactly when. Just that it was a few weeks after the frosts ended.

So, it's been a good few months I've been waiting.

Each flower only lasts 1 day, and then a seed pod begins growing where the flower was. But they started flowering about 10-12 weeks ago, so it's a long wait.

Then eventually the seed pods go dark brown, and if left long enough they open up. I've been picking them before they open though, when they come off the vine with a gentle twist.

quote:

Also, do you need to kill the plant to harvest the seeds, or is the relationship with MG a long term one?

It is an annual plant, it sprouts in spring and dies towards autumn. My plants have started dying off in the past 2 weeks with the stems going hard and brown (like twigs). I was actually worried they weren't going to set seed.

But the amazing thing is that it is still growing at the other end of the vine! Even with the base of the plant hard and dry!

Awesome - thanks for that Benzito. :)

I will document what I can Apothecary. How detailed do i need to go? I can take weekly pics and record daily high temps in the greenhouse, as well as note the soil mixture and any additive foods i add. I have read through the exchange of ideas on the wiki and you sound quite driven. If it helps, I can offer web space to host pics online.

Let me know

Ipomea Violacea is an invasive weed.

I wouldn't worry too much about documenting temperatures and things.

Basically if it has dirt, water, and sun it will grow.

It's a totally undemanding plant. But, make sure you have at least 2-3m of lattice for it to climb! I didn't have enough, and now have a big 'bundle' of Morning Glory. :)