The Corroboree
The Deb-One-Amine

Pitching A Tent..

I was planning on just going camping for a week or so, but Then the rain came :P But i had a few thoughts, one was will i get fined for just pitching a tent where i feel suitable..i know this is silly but i cant see the harm and under the curcumstances i was going to go camping i have a good reason to just pitch a tent where i feel..I know i have to dig a Fire pit and clear out twigs and whatnots to create a clearing around the camp..what fines will i cop and what will rangers and police throw at me for doing so.i wanna be informed of my rights and what they will use againest me in the case they do stumble upon my camp and try to start there leagal process, i wanna be able to stop them in there tracks or at least Tell them to fuck off nicely.

Crown land there generally isnt a problem and if there is im sure a ranger or someone will eventually let you know if its not on and tell ya where ya can camp. An old guy set up a permanant camp down the river here years ago, he was setup for a couple of years till they told him he had to move on, the rule used to be 6 weeks and then move on but i really wouldnt have a clue now. If it was me id lob a tent wherever, and see what happens which the worst would be gettn told to move on.

Where ya thinkn of campin??

If you were a nomad you could camp forever, I think there would be people doing this right now. Everytime they move-on when told and you could go 'round australia. I wouldnt mind being a nomad for a while, a pet dingo and a guitar. An old tin can billy pot. I could have boiled chicken and noodles/rice for tea everynight, though you'd have to buy fresh everyday.

You know what, after thinking this through, it wouldnt be so bad

We have people camp here all the time pickers live down the river for a season or so, long as it ain't pvt land,or a park area, we go fishing a bit here in season and always have a small fire (non fire ban days) long as you put your fire out, keep the site clean of rubbish,only thing I can imagine is.if the ranger was an arse because you collected firewood in a prohibited area, nomadic camp trips are quite noice, get yaself a cheap canoe and get dropped off way upstream find a spot, camp then paddle.to.a pick point, what area u planning on?

Have fun

i seriously have a chance to do a nomadic camping trip over the summer, I think I might actually fukin do it. I love nature, i think it would be awesome. Two months outdoors, in a tent... I dont think I can stop myself now, fuck it's happening. soon, ill never get another chance!

Edited by ref1ect1ons

JUST DO IT!

go reflections :) the stars are in your favour man! Do you know about wwoofers? link here: http://www.wwoof.com.au/ briefly for those that don't know about it, you become a member, (book is $60) and you can then work on around 1900 farms around Australia - generally 4 - 6 hrs a day doing stuff, (good way to meet people by working alongside em!) and stay the night free with home cooked organic food as well.. some places are full five star style digs - it's awesome, you meet people, learn about organic farms, see cool houses and tap into local knowledge about bits of bush you just wouldn't likely get chillin' at the local NP or van park.

woofing along with general see where we end up travel is tops...

Years ago when I was travelin around hitching here and there I had some rad experiences - learnt alot along the way too. One big one I had to deal with was my trust that I would be just wherever I was meant to be. Jusss breathin through being in crazy speeding drivers cars, bikie camps (?) the side of highways on the wrong side of a city with no money and dark approaching.. lol - wherever I was there I was... had to be there and do what I could.

Two quick suggestions, okay three I'm reminiscing now ;).

1. Don't be afraid of sleeping by the side of the road in the country... just check you are up out of the way and not in any major bloody flood ways which may rise quickly if you are heading north. Having a nice sleeping bag helps this... just chuck your tent fly over you bivvy sack style.

2. If you are hitching and there are heaps of other people hitching near you:

* walk toward where you are going, I've got lots of lifts because the drivers thought I or we were putting in my 'effort' than the other scraggly hippies lol

* Give potential drivers the longest possible amount of time to see you so they can 1. suss out if you look like a psychopath and 2. work out where they can safely park while you get in.

* Whenever possible insist on holding your pack as you get in.. be a bit suss if the car is empty but the driver insists on you chucking it in the boot, (specially if they don't get out of the car - you know those auto boot open thingys).

3. Don't be as dumbarsed as me and a dearly departed friend once were and think that because we were feeling the intricacies of a pristine far north beach / estuary that it was a top idea to loll around in the water for hours and to sleep on the sand at the mouth. That was a really stupid idea. signs sometimes do mean what they say :/

ohh wish I could go a walkin now.

rant over

If you cant be seen then you cant be told to move on ... over this way we get told to move on and a fine...so i always go deep... take a pair of seckkys they come in real handy , have a gas cooker instead of lighting fires, and be really quiet! lol, no clattering of pots , slapping of mozzies, struggling with tent zips.. stealth my friend stealth .

Refelctions...My man...Your a Legend... Well Seeing As im In the Shittfull Geelong region im kinda stuck with stiglitz(Brisbane Ranges) or the You Yangs.. well im going to do it cold or not.. Anybody know any Bush Plants i can eat :P Reflections we should start a nomad Camp Trip Longer than Normal Trips But only For those willing to stick To it for At least 2 Weeks..Im down for it...im not homeless now but im still going camping fucking the hustle and bustle has been Draggin Me Down i Just wanna Wake in The bush Breeze And Sleep with The Mozzies :P

I swear I read somewhere that camping is allow pretty much anywhere in a NP as long as you are more than 1km or something from a track, dwelling, road etc... I have just had a look to see if I can find that info and it seems that there are diff' regulations for diff parks.

I think that if you want to go off track camping then perhaps it would be better to do that in a state forest - often national parks have areas within them that are not accessible easily for a reason, could be cultural significance or high bio-diversity etc... if even one in every ten people who camp in NP's decide they are not bush enough and hike deeper in the place would become a litany of fire sites and squashed tree campsites.

I just feel the need to say that getting away from the busier campgrounds isn't that hard... and if the point is that the ones you can get to are busy and so you want to go in deeper it's likely that the area is already under pressure, and you will just be adding more.

Hiking is a good way to get away and find peace away from other spewmens cause it takes the effort of walking for a day or week to get to the spot - so chances are there will be no one there if you go in non-hol periods.

anyhow, don't mean to be a bummer or anything but I think it's important that we try and preserve and enjoy what is left of what was here before whiteman. Thats all.

peace

Yes your right, I dont want to damge or drain the environment around me. I want to give and take. It would be good if you were in Qld Deb so then yeah a nomadic camping trip would be cool, but it looks like this might be a solitary adventure. I can walk far and I could change camping spots atleast every two days ...to make sure it is truly nomadic. Yeah I cant wait for the smell of the air either deb, just to feel free and alive, the bustle is too much sometimes.

Guest svarg26

the days of camping will soon be over.

'A social engineering bill to restrict residence in the suburbs and rural areas and force Americans into city centers has passed the United States Senate Banking Committee and is on the fast track to passage in the Senate.

The bill is called the Livable Communities Act (SB 1619) and it was introduced by corruptocrat outgoing Senator Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.). It seeks to fulfill the United Nation’s plan Agenda 21, adopted at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 and signed onto by “New World Order” President George H.W. Bush.

This bill is designed to destroy your community.'

http://www.personalliberty.com/conservative-politics/liberty/social-engineering-bill-in-senate-will-force-you-into-city/?eiid&rmid=2010_09_10_PLA&rrid=238504900

stay informed.

peace.

erm... the idea of Agenda 21 is to reduce environmental impacts... the idea of the Livable Communities Act is to increase the density of inner urban areas and reduce urban sprawl

It will have no effect on camping.

aside from that, that's the US, not Australia

How about keep the right wing conspiracy bullshit contained in threads focused on that, and leave the rest of us to intelligent discussion?

the days of camping will soon be over.

'A social engineering bill to restrict residence in the suburbs and rural areas and force Americans into city centers has passed the United States Senate Banking Committee and is on the fast track to passage in the Senate.

The bill is called the Livable Communities Act (SB 1619) and it was introduced by corruptocrat outgoing Senator Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.). It seeks to fulfill the United Nation’s plan Agenda 21, adopted at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro

also breathing should be a crime .... :wink:

Guest svarg26

"How about keep the right wing conspiracy bullshit contained in threads focused on that, and leave the rest of us to intelligent discussion?"

occidentalis,

i posted on topic. how about leaving the personal attacks to a thread on ignorant douche bags that feel the need to spit venom.

"United Nation’s plan Agenda 21", just america for the moment. not long before it makes its way here.

"Agenda 21 is an international framework agreement for pursuing global sustainable development that was endorsed by national governments, including the Australian Government, at the 1992 Rio Earth Summit. Australia's commitment to Agenda 21 is reflected in a strong national response to meet our obligations under this international agreement."

but don't worry mate, you'll be on your last camping trip when the bill passes and i'll be here to say, i told you so.

"aside from that, that's the US, not Australia"

that was a silly thing to say, wasn't it? what else were you wrong about? think about it.

peace.

Edited by svarg26

I'm quite aware that Agenda 21 is a global agreement run by the UN and that Australia has signed on to it, because I studied it in the sustainable development unit I did in first year uni. It has already made it's way here in many forms, and the end of the world is not upon us. That's because it isn't any kind of conspiracy. Actually I think it was one of the last naive and innocent attempts to genuinely move towards sustainability, before the word was subsumed into the corporate discourse and spat out as another commodity to be sold.

My comment was regarding the Liveable Communities Act which is clearly US, not Australia.

Guest svarg26

don't worry mate. Agenda 21 is there to help us. no hidden agenda. just like the web censorship plan is for the protection of children and not to stop the free flow of information outside of government control.

"My comment was regarding the Liveable Communities Act which is clearly US, not Australia."

nice back tracking.

peace.

go reflections :) the stars are in your favour man! Do you know about wwoofers? link here: http://www.wwoof.com.au/ briefly for those that don't know about it, you become a member, (book is $60) and you can then work on around 1900 farms around Australia - generally 4 - 6 hrs a day doing stuff, (good way to meet people by working alongside em!) and stay the night free with home cooked organic food as well.. some places are full five star style digs - it's awesome, you meet people, learn about organic farms, see cool houses and tap into local knowledge about bits of bush you just wouldn't likely get chillin' at the local NP or van park.

woofing along with general see where we end up travel is tops...

Years ago when I was travelin around hitching here and there I had some rad experiences - learnt alot along the way too. One big one I had to deal with was my trust that I would be just wherever I was meant to be. Jusss breathin through being in crazy speeding drivers cars, bikie camps (?) the side of highways on the wrong side of a city with no money and dark approaching.. lol - wherever I was there I was... had to be there and do what I could.

Two quick suggestions, okay three I'm reminiscing now ;).

1. Don't be afraid of sleeping by the side of the road in the country... just check you are up out of the way and not in any major bloody flood ways which may rise quickly if you are heading north. Having a nice sleeping bag helps this... just chuck your tent fly over you bivvy sack style.

2. If you are hitching and there are heaps of other people hitching near you:

* walk toward where you are going, I've got lots of lifts because the drivers thought I or we were putting in my 'effort' than the other scraggly hippies lol

* Give potential drivers the longest possible amount of time to see you so they can 1. suss out if you look like a psychopath and 2. work out where they can safely park while you get in.

* Whenever possible insist on holding your pack as you get in.. be a bit suss if the car is empty but the driver insists on you chucking it in the boot, (specially if they don't get out of the car - you know those auto boot open thingys).

3. Don't be as dumbarsed as me and a dearly departed friend once were and think that because we were feeling the intricacies of a pristine far north beach / estuary that it was a top idea to loll around in the water for hours and to sleep on the sand at the mouth. That was a really stupid idea. signs sometimes do mean what they say :/

ohh wish I could go a walkin now.

rant over

Wwoofers hey...I would rather term it "taking good work away from the locals" as is what happens here in Childers...locals can't get enough hours to make ends meet on a local free range chook farm as he is taking advantage of wwoofers...he is not the only farmer to take advantage of this :devil: makes me blood boil....so much so I have been building up my own chook stocks and I am going to take him on in the marketplace...easy as.....he calls it organic free range..I call it a fucking pig sty that should be closed...rats bigger than ben hur....sorry I'm waffling again..back to subject at hand...

Pitching a tent reminds me of something I have wanted to do since I was a kid. I wanted 2 horses and a covered wagon and make my way around the country slowly...I can just see myself clip clopping along the Bruce highway now with traffic backed up behind me, fists waved in anger..lovely thought. I actually think you could do it and nothing could be done to stop you as horses still have right of way over motor vehicles...

Pitch your tent where YOU are comfortable..fuck em....

Pitching a tent reminds me of something I have wanted to do since I was a kid. I wanted 2 horses and a covered wagon and make my way around the country slowly...I can just see myself clip clopping along the Bruce highway now with traffic backed up behind me, fists waved in anger..lovely thought.

Ohh yes I wish It was Legal And Every Tom Dick And Harry Didnt Have a Fence Every Couple Of kms Then It would Be Great But The Essence Of Following The tranquil Path Of Our Fore-fathers Is Far From Gone In Austrailia couldnt See Myself Just Trottin On My 2hp Wagon And Waving A Officer Past..

@ DeBOnEaMiNe, : there is a trail that you can ride with horses or on foot, that would kick arse over roads: http://www.nationaltrail.com.au/ it is called the national trail, stretches from Healesville in the south to Cape York (who would've thought).

@ Hutch: As for woofers taking local work - well thats just abuse of the bloody system then isn't it! I wonder if any of the locals in childers has contacted the wwoof HQ and told them how they feel about what is going on? Might get the bloke struck off the book or something?

Nice work on taking him on in the local egg / chook market though te he... I bet your eggs are better.

couldn't help myself... how about the Bibbulmun track in WA? 1000km walk :)http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/

Edited by kindness

I like the direction this thread is heading...

I haven't done anything like this since I was in my early 20s when I got into simplicity and asceticism etc and just kind of wandered out into the bush.. now, after nearly 10yrs of marriage and just being a general social fuckup and outcast, I have somehow been feeling the urge to again :)

I am actually getting some gear together for some serious hermitage right now, which is why I clicked on this thread. Recently, I came across these kind of articles on wikihow etc and found them good for a laugh, but also some good information and ideas:

http://www.wikihow.com/Live-in-the-Wilderness

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Hobo

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Hobo-with-a-Web-Based-Income (LOL)

http://www.wikihow.com/Live-on-the-Street

http://www.wikihow.com/Panhandle

http://www.wikihow.com/Urban-Camp

also, check out the movie "Into The Wild," which I saw recently and explores many related themes, true story too...

and for WA residents/visitors check out the Bibbulmun Track, which follows roughly the route that was taken by Nyungar aborigines and goes from Perth to Albany, with huts/tent sites/firepits/toilets and watertanks a days journey (half a day for 150km from Perth the whole way.. various caves in the Stirling ranges are also cool, the one at the arrows is best as it has a water drum that is filled by dripping condesnation and less lightning can get in.

btw kind of back on topic... it is really hard to find a lightweight tent suitable for a single very tall person, which has led me to also looking into hammock + tarp... very good for stealth and low-impact camping according to various cycling nuts and other crazies.. :)

*edit* sorry kindness, didn't read all the way to the end and just saw you already mentioned the bibbo

Edited by .:illegal:brain:.

Ive camped many times in places Im not supposed to and for short stays if you're driving I always used this excuse to the rangers: 'I stopped here last night to have a break from driving, had some dinner and a few beers. I realised I was too tired and possibility over the limit so I didn't want to risk driving under those circumstances and camped here for the night to be safe.' Works every time.

The guy in the link below knows his stuff.

http://cheaprvliving...ck_Dweller.html

That was awesome, simply how he says "i dont feel homeless, Im just camping", and seems to have a rather peaceful and healthy existence.

Sad so many Americans are doing this, but hey if you gotta do it, do it with others. Little tented community, everyone gathering round fires, sharing and shz. Ahhh, wouldnt it be nice.

Lets all quit our jobs and start a tent community outside Nimbin. It would be awesome, bonfires everynight, bush tucker, rice, cooking together.

Impending financial doom, or impending awesome outdoor party, you be the judge. Seriously I will probably end up in some sort of hippie cult where I end up farming or something.