The Corroboree
Marcel

L. williamsii strains

G'day Marcel and welcome to this place ,appearance can vary as these plants grow in sheltered populations in differing environments , some on top of mountains, others in rock crevices and some in dried up creekbeds... Personally i like L.williamsii v.decipiens, here is a link which has some pics.

http://www.magicactus.com/description.html

Most all L. williamsii is the same, except for L. decipiens and a few others, most are just locality selections of the L. williamsii species.

I recently tried growing some L. Williamsii (not sure what variety? from earthalchemy?) and surprisingly (because I have not had much luck growing anything from seed) I have noticed they have sprouted (well 2 of the 5 seeds)

I am very excited to see them grow.

Good luck with your ventures! :)

here is a link which has some pics.

http://www.magicactu...escription.html

IMHO that's about all that link is good for....pictures.....as it contains a lot of bs

The pink cylindrical fruits develop and remain hidden in the apical wool for about a year (in my personal experience, given proper conditions fruits will appear in three to four months from flowering); then elongate rapidly at maturity to protrude above the wooly centre of the plant.

oh bullshit, Frank (Magicactus)

Up until recent years Edward Anderson was at the forefront of research with this little plant and his studies indicated that there were two major and distinct populations of peyote representing two distinct species; that of Lophophora Williamsii and that of Lophophora Diffusa.

then he goes on to say:

On the other hand, new peyote research done by Jaroslav Bohata shows us that we actually have four species in the genus Lophophora, and possibly more. His findings indicate that the genus Lophophora is divided into two basic groups with sufficient differences to classify them separately. The first group comprises the various forms of the species L. Williamsii, which is further subdivided into two infraspecific categories; those of the northern form and those of a southern form. The second group also comprises the various forms of the species Lophophora Diffusa consisting of L.Diffusa, L.Diffusa var. Fricii, and L.Diffusa var. Koehresii.

That's exactly what Anderson was saying, 2 distinct species, willies & difusa's. I guess with the new math, two=four or more.

Quoting Libor Kunte who wrote the Introduction of Kaktusy Special #2, 2005:

It was a challenge as we spent countless hours editing the text , and it seemed that each author had his own particular point of view on classification.
(emphasis mine)

Seems that most of the information presented on the linked website is word for word straight out of Kaktusy Special #2, 2005 which the website is crediting to Jaroslav Bohata when in reality JB is just one of the three authors of Kaktusy Special #2, 2005.

Lophophora Williamsii var. Jourdaniana Habermann 1975

Originally described as having violet red flowers, and an inability to be fertilized by L.Diffusa, L.Fricii or L.Williamsii and its varieties. The plant has apparently been crossed successfully by a Russian botanist by the name of Serge Batov, but not successfully done by anyone else.

The flowers of Lophophora Jourdaniana are frequently cleistogame (small, unopened and self pollinating).

Bullshit.

Do these flowers look like they are cleistogame?

Apparently it is not possible to fertilize L. Jourdaniana with the pollen of L. Williamsii, nor with the pollen of L. Diffusa or L. Fricii.

More bullshit. Just because he has been unsuccessful in cross pollinating jourds does not mean cross pollination is not possible for other people.

I really get a kick out of his "seed list" which appears to be a cut & paste from koehres-kaktus

The OP may want to revisit an earlier discussion here on L williamsii species......

Give it to him Zelly!

I like it when the bullshit is cleared!