The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sola

Medical Marijuana?

In some countries a person can grow a small amount of cannabis for medical purposes, whether that be for Glaucoma,

Serious Pain or to encourage them to eat after say Chemotherapy. Is anyone aware of similar legal situations anywhere in Australia?

As much of 'The War on Drugs' was pushed on the rest of the world from the US and in many places in the US those laws have been

altered to allow for some cannabis cultivation I thought maybe the laws here have room for some plants.

Are there any situations where an Australian might be able to grow A plant?

Sola

In Canberra we can grow one plant, outdoors only, and it will attract a $100 fine. That is the best I know of for personal use. Of course once you harvest and dry that plant and it is over 25 grams then you are in trouble.

The Mullaway man in Nimbin gives out Cannabis tinctures to people that have a legitimate medical need. The Police are turing a blind eye to him so far.

Apart from that we are appallingly behind the U.S. in regards to medical Cannabis.

Thanks it's good to know, looks like we have to wait until Australia's laws better represent citizens opinions.

It seems Australia has some of the toughest laws regarding what plants you can grow.

I for one can't wait 'til they're changed.

Sola

And of course in WA, some possession laws have been decriminalized too: AFAIK, 2 plants (non-hydro) and less than 25g possession is a fineable offence - OR - requiring your presence at a drug-education seminar. These laws are being sought to be overturned by incumbant Government; resorting to all growing and possession illegal. The main lobbyers seem to be the mental health organizations. Given this, I doubt that public prosecution would want to make a court-deal out of it if someone was shown to have MS for instance, it would probably slip under the radar.

Looks like WA is starting to go in the right direction.  I'm not really sure about SA, the laws used to be better, but I'm pretty sure I heard they'd changed.  

Maybe 1 plant, outdoor, is fineable and a small amount for posession same.  But I really don't know.  

Hopefully ITF we can have laws that reflect what the democratic population thinks.  

Peace

Edited by Sola

It is 7 days until prop 19 goes through, I think the winds may starta changin'. We will atleast have to have medical marijuana (otherwise our government won't look progressive, compassionate, rational and most importantly liberal when juxtaposted against other more liberal 'systems'), then when ppl get over it (finally) it wil be legal for all adults. Peace.

lol, W.A trying to swim against the winds of change, their stupid rhetoric wont last much longer, I expect the prop 19 to make news in all states, even though all is silent atm.

It is almost eerie how silent the media has been, considering the devils weed is about to be considered for legalisation in one of the world spotlight areas.

Edited by ref1ect1ons

Here in WA, I know a couple of people who have been given doctors' recommendations to use cannabis for medical reasons, one who has extreme pain and is limited to a wheelchair. There's no specific law allowing doctors to prescribe cannabis yet, but I'm quite certain that a doctor's recommendation could go a long way if they ever had trouble with the law, especially if the medical problem was of severe detriment to that persons life.

Edited by Symbiate

It is 7 days until prop 19 goes through, I think the winds may starta changin'. We will atleast have to have medical marijuana (otherwise our government won't look progressive, compassionate, rational and most importantly liberal when juxtaposted against other more liberal 'systems'), then when ppl get over it (finally) it wil be legal for all adults. Peace.

lol, W.A trying to swim against the winds of change, their stupid rhetoric wont last much longer, I expect the prop 19 to make news in all states, even though all is silent atm.

It is almost eerie how silent the media has been, considering the devils weed is about to be considered for legalisation in one of the world spotlight areas.

Can't wait for proposition fuck you to be passed and we can grow and use any plant we bloody well want

...like they own the planet :BANGHEAD2:

Ahh tis a start I guess.

The most useful plant in the world and all.

Is prop 19 the legalisation trial in Nimbin? Sorry...just don't know what it is:unsure:.

I saw on the news that California was going to completely legalise Cannabis, America started the whole 'war on drugs', which is just about

as effective as their prohibition laws:BANGHEAD2:. If they're changing their tune then one would assume Australia would as well, after all there have been

a lot of laws past here recently to curtail organised crime and I can't think of a better way to do it. If you take away the income, they either

do something else or stop.

I'm not sure what they're worried about anyway, I can't imagine someone who's had a joint getting in a late night brawl or holding some place up.

All plants that increase a persons capacity for empathy and compassion should not only be legal but encouraged to create a better society IMO.

Proposition 19 relates to the legalisation of Cannabis in California.

The Nimbin Hemp Embassy issue is a proposal only.

I'm not sure what they're worried about anyway, I can't imagine someone who's had a joint getting in a late night brawl or holding some place up.

All plants that increase a persons capacity for empathy and compassion should not only be legal but encouraged to create a better society IMO.

Peer pressure?

GoodDoctor.JPG

These are some of the businesses who continue to profit from the prohibition of the cannabis hemp plant and its produce:

* Chemical companies - cotton requires large amounts of chemical fertiliser and pesticides, unlike cannabis which produces stronger and more durable fibres.

* Plastics industry - many plastic products could be made from natural cannabis without pollution.

* Timber industry - cannabis 'hurds' (the woody bits of stalk) can be used to make furniture as well as a higher quality paper than from wood.

* Tobacco and alcohol industries - if more people turned to the safer and non-addictive recreational pastime than their products.

* Pharmaceutical companies who may profit less if ill people are able to grow their own medicine in preference to their many dangerous and addictive synthetic drugs which the same people claim are less effective than cannabis.

* The employees of the criminal justice industry and supportive industries, including police, lawyers, barristers, court officials, prison staff, probation services, drug counsellors, forensic scientists, customs officers and security firms, who may suffer if 100,000 less prosecutions are brought each year.

AND... MOST IMPORTANTLY...

* The fuel companies including fossil, nuclear and solar. The Report of the FCDA Europe - endorsed by Judges, Doctors & academics - reveals for the first time, the CANNABIS BIOMASS ENERGY EQUATION, which shows beyond doubt that cannabis-derived fuel, capable of providing almost all of our domestic and industrial energy requirements as well as running all of our cars without pollution, is easily a CHEAPER and safer form of viable energy. It is the huge oil and nuclear industries which have the main profit motivations for continued prohibition at any cost. The FCDA Report reveals the true motives behind both past and present prohibition, and declares the law itself illegal!

Why Cannabis Is Illegal

That is alot of big business there synchromesh, I knew about all these uses but when I see them like that; it is a david and goliath battle. Those businesses are huge. Big pharma and the oil and petro-chemical industries.

The struggle for hemp freedom seems inextricably tied to our own freedom. They will be doing everything they can to stop this.

My heart will break if this doesn't pass, It will feel like were heading the way of big business and big war. I will loose alot of faith in humanity.

Edited by ref1ect1ons

I would really like to see the day it's approved for medical reasons here in Australia. Cannabidiol being proven a very fast acting anti psychotic medicine, which also promotes relaxation and anxiety relief would be a huge benefit to the currently available medications around at the moment.

It being minimally addictive (if at all) also would would solve a lot of problems in the psychiatric medications area, from all I've read it seems this could be the solution to not only treating a psychotic episode but also helping to cure the stress that leads one into another relapse.

THC seems to be the chemical that has the potential to bring on psychotic episodes, but Cannabidiol is compeltely different. Unfortunately the only real way for it to be used in this manner is if Cannabis is approved for medical reasons and research locally, then the two could be separated and doses of Cannabidiol alone issued to patients.

If only the plant wasn't so falsely demonised in the eyes of those who make the decisions, we could have a new wonder drug available to end the need for benzodiazepines and the dangerous anti psychotics currently available

Edited by TG83
  • Like 3

The struggle for hemp freedom seems inextricably tied to our own freedom. They will be doing everything they can to stop this.

That's because it is.

My heart will break if this doesn't pass, It will feel like were heading the way of big business and big war. I will loose alot of faith in humanity.

We're already there brother. All we can hope for now is that it doesn't get any worse.

THC seems to be the chemical that has the potential to bring on psychotic episodes, but Cannabidiol is compeltely different. Unfortunately the only real way for it to be used in this manner is if Cannabis is approved for medical reasons and research locally, then the two could be separated and doses of Cannabidiol alone issued to patients.

Why do you say that, TG83?

From personal experience being involved in mental health studies and education (scientific based not government propaganda), plus reading a lot of other studies already completed. THC seemed the main chemical that produced paranoia most frequently in subjects, link that with the predisposition to psychosis and an episode will likely appear from it. Administration of Cannabidiol alone produced no effects of paranoia in subjects

What sorts of studies are we talking about here? Injecting the subjects with nothing but THC... that kind of thing?

Nothing has ever been done here in Australia to my knowledge, but in America / Canada a few exist. It's not injection but trials in states where the drug is legalised for medical reasons, initially to test the truth behind patients claiming Cannabis is an anti psychotic.

Patients were given pure Cannabidiol tablets and compared against people taking normal anti psychotic medication (ethics ruled out placebo control due to the nature of the illness). THC was initially found to significantly worsen symptoms and research was withdrawn, but Cannabidiol had no negative effects initially and was found as effective as modern a-typical antipsychotics.

Difference being marked improvement was shown after 1 week compared to 4 - 6 with regular a-typical's plus there was no weight gain and negative symptoms were also greatly reduced (which is unheard of with modern a-typicals).

So seems pretty clear to me THC alone is probably not a good mix with psychotic based illnesses or people with a family history of them.

With the Australian studies, it was more a question based assessment about usage, effects, early signs or improvements. Doesn't really compare to the studies done overseas but still began to shed some light onto Cannabis and other drugs in the medical community that was previously never really looked upon. The education following was basically just a follow up after the study mentioning the results and advice on how best to reduce the likelihood of a future relapse

Edited by TG83

I would normally post in youtube vid section, but yeah, found it after watching synch's vid.

Oh and here's a link to the pdf. I couldnt get the abstract on it's own.
http://americanmarijuana.org/Guzman-Cancer.pdf

The pdf doesnt look right, it's not a scientific report and three mice is obviously not a sample, so I tried to find the sample size but found that it mostly crapped on about the properties of cannabinoids, and was a review. Edited by ref1ect1ons

Nothing has ever been done here in Australia to my knowledge, but in America / Canada a few exist. It's not injection but trials in states where the drug is legalised for medical reasons, initially to test the truth behind patients claiming Cannabis is an anti psychotic.

Patients were given pure Cannabidiol tablets and compared against people taking normal anti psychotic medication (ethics ruled out placebo control due to the nature of the illness). THC was initially found to significantly worsen symptoms and research was withdrawn, but Cannabidiol had no negative effects initially and was found as effective as modern a-typical antipsychotics.

So seems pretty clear to me THC alone is probably not a good mix with psychotic based illnesses or people with a family history of them.

Uh, could you be any more vague? Anyway, if THC by itself is harmful, I fail to see how that is a problem...

Compounds found in Cannabis Sativa

I wasn't posing an attack on THC mate, just giving opinions and info on Cannabidiol itself, and THC only in the instance of psychosis alone making it not suitable for psychosis treatment. Not sure what the problem is?

Some interesting points there, after checking the links I think syncromesh has a point. There are lots of different chemicals in

Cannabis that can have an effect on the body other than THC. Where experiments have been done that isolate specific

compounds from the natural range within the plant and are administered in large doses to people it is not really representative

of what people receive when ingesting real plant materialbong.gif . I think people who choose to do so understand that there are

potential hazardsrolleyes.gif . And as we all see on the news regularly there is no shortage getting around so many people must be choosing

to have some and yet there aren't huge numbers of people having spychotic episodes that adversely affect others. In fact I would think

there is more detriment done to society as a result of it's criminal status and the resultant penalties and angst that goes with cultivation

or posession, i.e. people's only interaction with police is negative. Hypothetically if it were legalised police could spend time persuing

violent criminals, dangerous drivers, basically settling issues in the community that most if not all people would be happy to see done.

In this instance police would be seen as contributing more to a harmonious society instead of instead of actively supporting big business.

In terms of harm to the individual, people are effected detrimentally by ingesting poor quality air and water from the pollution caused by

the same big businesses that would not have you growing the plants you'd like to. I think people should be able to choose how they

are exposed to potential cancer causing agents rather than having big business choose for themsad.gif .

There will always be people with mental illness, a small percentage of whom may disrupt peaceful society but I would think alcohol is

more of a risk to these people. Alcohol's not going anywhere because it's profitable, if Cannabis were legalised and it was profitable

to business and government maybe these issues would be swept under the carpet toonewimprovedwinkonclear.gif .

Sorry just seemed a bit at cross purposes but I was basically making the exact same point, but obviously didn't get it across correctly. The fact that there are many other compounds in the plant that could be used medically and for research was the main part of my point. From administration of pure THC alone there was no benefits and seemed to cause more problems, hence why I mentioned it. But it still has a purpose in other treatments, many prescription medications aren't suitable to certain people / disorders but are highly beneficial to others.

Guess it's hard when your typing in text instead of speaking verbally, can usually tell the points people are making just by their tone but online it's easy to misread, obviously misunderstanding between us both when we were both trying to relay the exact same points

Edited by TG83