The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Datura stramonium

Hi guys,

I just saw the Datura stramonium v Tatula picture on the SAB shop, and I must say, it took my breath away.

I'd love to grow a plant that yields such beautiful flowers. However I fear it may be too late in the season to plant.

Questions: Is it? If so, can it be grown in a pot indoors? Will it flower in a pot?

If it isn't too late, and I plant a seed or two say within 2 weeks from now (taking into account order/delivery time) and it takes a few weeks to sprout, what kind of location can it be grown in? Will it grow well in a spot that only gets sunlight for a portion of the day? Full shade?

Any advice appreciated, even if it's to tell me to stop asking all the questions.

They flower mid to late summer so you could plant some but you'll prolly end up with small plants.

yep, small plants, but lots of seed for next year

Well thats good to hear. I get paid on Wednesday/Thursday (first paycheck from my dream job!) so I'll be ordering asap.

What about the shade question? Do they absolutely need full sunlight all day? Can I get away with half half?

we have some daturas growing in the shade house and they are loving it.

datura_metel_flower12.jpg

Wow I had to do it

shit - the one i have growing in the park near my place is all white flowers, rather than any purple - maybe its not metel??

metel comes in yellow, white, purple and lots of shades. They also all come in singles, doubles and semi-triples.

The purple one is D.metel v. fastuosa

quote:

can it be grown in a pot indoors? Will it flower in a pot?

Yes and yes. I've been growing three different Datura species (stramonium, metel, and inoxia) for a couple years now. (In my current apartment, it's almost the only thing I have room to grow! :( ) I put them in the window, where they get a few hours of direct sunlight. They seem flower often & year-round. My inoxia is just about to flower right now, and it's the dead of winter here.

This was my first successful SAB germination. Followed shortly by a few L. williamsii.

Looking back on this post, I feel I've come a long way, I've certainly done a lot of shit.

One funny thing about all the SAB related stuff I've done is that Torsten always ends up being right. Always (and this flower is no exception) :wink:

I'd like to thank all you guys for just being you, for rocking all year round, and making me feel at home in such an awesome place.

So here it is, the first flower to actually open (there were some last season but they didn't open), from my first SAB germination.

gallery_861_2_203119.jpg

One more in my blog, but it doesn't look as good. I hope it makes you feel as warm and fuzzy as it makes me ;)

Absolutely stunning apoth, nice work. :wub:

My stram. var tatula looked no where near as beautiful as that flower above, maybe it was lighting or something . Next time I try I may give it a good solid potassium dose before flowering.

WOW that's nice man!

I just received and planted some "lilac" datura which i assume is the same one and also a couple of "double yellow" any idea which type this will be?