The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
coin

Whiplash treatment?

I was in a car accident about a year ago and it took about 2-3 months (stupidly) to realise that my injuries were persistent and significant...probably because the accident was my fault (fatigued, I drove through a red-light looking for a street where I'd missed a turn off), I was feeling kind of guilty about it & thought/hoped it would resolve. My head got slammed pretty hard against the driver's door.

The main damage seems to be tissue damage/inflammation at the sub-occipital region and sometimes I get burning pain in the SCM. Everything seems to be pretty text-book for trigger-point therapy - tenderness/pain in the traps at the chinese accupressure point GB-21 - refers pain over the top of my head, mostly to my eye (just the one side) but also through the side of my head sometimes into my ear. Applying pressure to these areas, when painful, helps a lot.

Ibuprofen seems to work very well - relying on pharmaceuticals is a "new thing" for me :) ... the pain would go on for 3 days to a week..then one day I decide "I'll test some ibuprofen" -- it worked within an hour and then no pain for 3-5 days!! that's when I realised it was interrupting the inflammatory cycle....so naive ;-) when the injury flares up, it seems to make my mind very foggy/depressed?

I can treat it with pressure to the sub-occipital, traps, and supraspinatus. When I have pressure applied to the traps I sometimes feel the foggy/heavy energy drain out of my head with a massive relief. I also get the same sensation after meditation sometimes...with a big cold flushing/draining sensation...that may be about posture more than anything "energetic" but it definitely feels like "emotion" is draining out at the same time - not sure how to describe it. My partner is getting a bit sick of me being addicted to massage & being picky about it being done right... it aggravates the SCM for me to position my arm to do it myself...I use a theracane most of the time & I do neck/traps stretches twice daily.

Am just wondering what sort of treatments/therapies have been found successful or helpful? Any advice?

Edited by coin

i found great (permanant) relief from a similar injury from a car accident, which comprised whiplash damage to my neck and upper back, and damage to my loewr back muscles with a high dose of eileen, believe it or not.

i went from undable to work as a landscaper to working with no pain in a couple of days.

like i say, believe it or not. i believe the cactus dose to contain anti-inflammatorys as such.

that's very interesting that you had lasting results

green tea is about as hard-core as i get these days (yes, lame)...i really wouldn't consider something like that unless i was convinced that mind over matter plus better living through chemistry, etc, was the best way to go/last resort :-) i'm too skeptical now to start entertaining non-physical theories about the injury even though i can see some 20% of mental issues tied into it.

i'm not sure how cactus would offer permanent results through an anti-inflammatory effect if there is tissue damage?

i'm not sure how cactus would offer permanent results through an anti-inflammatory effect if there is tissue damage?

Depending on how much of your problems are the result of an inflammatorial process around the permanent tissue damage. I´d put cactus in the rheumatic category, which could have similar effects as Ibuprofen. It could be worth i try though i´d also test all other known meds that work like Ibu and Diclofenac. If the damage you have causes minor infections that come and go from time to time, this could improve your health a lot. bye Eg

I have been through a car accident recently, I am still having physio but it only releives for a couple of hours after the treatment. I am being told by friends to go and have bowen therapy. Apparently one or two treatments and you will feel great - I don't know what a bowen therapy is though, The headache is the worst then my lower back, I also have constant pain in my knees and it intensifies with any loading. Maybe I should go and have a bowen.??

My mate's uncle recently had Bowen therapy after back injury and he absolutely loved it. I've forgotten to read up more about it, but at least there's another recommendation for the treatment :)

I am being told by friends to go and have bowen therapy.

Seconded.

I've suffered back and neck pain since I was a teenager, due to some pretty heavy health issues that I had back then. The health issues were resolved, but I was left with an on-going issue with my back, neck and, in particular, my left shoulder. I went to physios, chiros, osteos, acupuncturists, you name it. Nothing helped long term.

About five years ago, I suffered debilitating RSI in both my arms and had to quit the music course I was doing because I couldn't play piano for longer tahn about five minutes before the pain made it impossible. I suffered from this for about 2 years, again trying all the regular pain therapies.

Finally, a friend recommended Bowen and I haven't looked back. I get a Bowen treatment maybe once every six months and not only is my RSI problem as good as completely resolved, my back, neck and shoulder are better than they've ever been. It's not a magical cure and the relief it offers isn't permanent, but it's effective and long lasting.

Essentially, Bowen therapy works on fascia, which is the soft connective tissue in the body. The way it was explained to me was that this tissue is "meant" to be pliable like a water filled balloon but through our everyday activities, it hardens up and restricts our movement causing pain. Hardened fascia in one part of the body can refer pain t other parts of the body. The Bowen treatment consists of the practitioner using a very light massage to soften up the fascia.

I highly, highly recommend Bowen to anyone suffering form pain.

ive heard of bowen therapy having positive results for sufferers of anxiety and depression as well.

how does that work?

ive heard of bowen therapy having positive results for sufferers of anxiety and depression as well.

how does that work?

Hmmm... no idea, but here's a link that has some good info. In the list of things that can be helped with Bowen, such things as hormonal disorders and learning difficulties are included.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Bowen_therapy?open

Edited by Rabaelthazar