The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Can someone please ID this? (excited)

My gnome found a few plants that resembles salvia divinorum very much on the way home from his work.

He took a leaf, and here are the photos. He'd like someone to ID it if possible. It looks very much like the salvia leaves on erowid, I think, except its edges aren't serrated.

If it isn't possible to ID, I'm sure my gnome can take photos of the plants in their entirety on Monday morning.

The thing that caught my gnomes attention were the leaves, and the fact that it was leaning deeply, supported on a stake. My gnome knows that salvia propagates by falling over and laying roots where it hits the ground.

possible_s1.jpg

possible_s2.jpg

Any ID appreciated.

[ 04. February 2005, 16:06: Message edited by: apothecary ]

My gnome remembers the veins to be a little lighter in colour, almost white in comparison to the leaf flesh.

He asked me if you knew whether the stalks and branches where square in cross-section, because his long lost girlfriend Sally had that.

Well that's something you just wouldn't spot driving along in a car! I think you're going to need a bit more for an ID - stems, flowers etc. The chances of someone leaving an illegal, rare, and very sensitive plant out on the side walk are pretty slim though. I remember after first reading plants of the gods going into the local nursery asking if they had any of these Amazonian ethnobotanicals and the guy just looks at me, until I mention datura, and then he goes "Ahhhh. .. I see" but said he couldn't sell them because the Ag dept wouldn't allow it.

I asked my gnome, he said he was too excited to remember to check the stem. He said it is a fact he knows from many trips to the erowid vault, but he forgot.

I'll tell him to check on Monday morning, he may even be eager enough to go down during the weekend.

From what I remember, back in the days, she has a quite succulent square shaped stem, along with every other member of the mint family. . .

Looks quite similar to salvia d. but going by that pic it's not, just doesn't look right.

Don't know the ID, as stated full plant info would help :) Also can you get a more clear pic of the leaf? Looks to have a bit of the silvery coat going on, but hard to tell.

My gnome showed me the leaf, it matches the description of salvia d. perfectly. Smooth dark green etc, just no serrations.

He decided to be stupid and smoke it anyway, just to see what would happen, one bowl in his billy and one from his pipe and said there were some "threshhold" effects, but that could've been the smoke inhalation coupled with his headache. (My gnome gets headaches if he doesn't eat healthily during the day).

looks like basil!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

I'm interested in the pic too.

I found a salvia recently with a square stem classic look and leaf shape, though she has white flowers in clusters the same as sd.The leaves however have whiteish splashes down the centre like coleus do.

Thought a bit more about this today, but the pics are gone.

I'm thinking it's a common hydrangea, they have very similar leaves. Anyhoo something to consider.

I saw the pictures before they dissapeared, and I really doubt they were hydrangea. I think the basil comment was more spot on .