The Corroboree
nabraxas

Teens Using Digital Drugs to Get High

Kids around the country are getting high on the internet, thanks to MP3s that induce a state of ecstasy. And it could be a gateway drug leading teens to real-world narcotics.

At least, that’s what Oklahoma News 9 is reporting about a phenomenon called “i-dosing,” which involves finding an online dealer who can hook you up with “digital drugs” that get you high through your headphones.

And officials are taking it seriously

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/digital-drugs/#ixzz0tnLfY236

"If you wanna reach these kids and save these kids"

Alarmist or what? Sounds like irritating noise to me. Reminds me of people who listen to something like Xenakis's La Legende d'Eer, or early Steve Reich (It's Gonna Rain / Come Out) and reckon they have an ecstatic experience. Never experienced it myself biggrin.gif

What a gyp!

Youtube, you owe me yet another portion of my life back. 9 minutes 18 seconds, I'll add it to your tab, shall I?

I reckon any effect these iHighs have is placebo. Might sound alright after a couple of spliffs. :wink:

What's happening to the world? In the good old days, teenagers got drunk or high from car sickness tablets or just good old fashioned pot. Technology, bah!

I've tried one of these and i got pretty cool audio hallucination. Like my ears were being turned off then on again really quickly. Other than that nothing. Most of the Mp3's are just noise/static. But come labelled under different drugs M arijuana, C ocaine, S peed, L SD etc etc

And are meant to replicate the effects of said substance. I agree it's most likely placebo effect.

cheers

very small amounts of experimentation showed that some of the tracks do something, wasn't interested in pursuing it further though. naming the tracks after molecules seems stupid.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3707782/IDoser_v4.5___All_Doses.rar

that is a torrent for them apparently - cant hurt to take a look and I would rather try before I buy. I agree more than likely placebo but if they can trick the mind into beleiving than isn't that almost as good.

Thanks mate. I just downloaded it. You need to go to the I-doser website to install the player after you have stolen the "doses" from bittorrent.

I'll let you guys know how it goes and if it is better than the "Guitar Hero" effect.

Edit 20 minutes later: I am now 15 minutes into the Marijuana dose, takes 45 minutes. So far I feel drowsy like I am on anti-histamines.

Edited by Bread Filter

lol... yeah I really aren't getting anything from this. There are others on there and cracked versions of idose etc ways around paying and this is one thing I would pay for ....so far anyway

lol... yeah I really aren't getting anything from this. There are others on there and cracked versions of idose etc ways around paying and this is one thing I would pay for ....so far anyway

Do the noticeable effects start after the 45 minute listening period or while you are listening? All I have done so far is rip into some mates by email that were singling out someone with a disability. That it my normal behaviour though.

I must be on the tail end as the noise just started petering out.

Edit: Well the program has finished and I haven't had any noticeable effects. I am relaxed but that can be expected after 45 minutes of semi meditation.

Edited by Bread Filter

xenakis and steve reich are legends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it depends on people.

don't dismiss some sound because you don't like

I love noise and experimental musick!

===

can you get 'high' on music alone?

fuck yeah it can happen. I remember I had such an experience with "listen to your heart" of Roxette, didn't know what the lyrics said, was very young, but I was very much touched. Didn't know what high meant back then. So this happens with music IME/IMO.

I never said I didn't like it. Quite the opposite in fact, it was very relaxing.

I have only listened to one of 45 different "doses" and haven't formed my opinion yet. All I reviewed was the Marijuana dose.

hell-on-earth-2006-20061026114817424.jpg

Digital Drugs, seems a bit like saying Biggie Smalls three times in the mirror to me.....

Edited by No_One

I tried it when i was younger, I got heaps of closed eye visuals and stories playing in my mind, I closed my eyes through out and it kinda just felt like i was dreaming whilst conscious.

That was on the ACid one, nothing trippy or anything like that, Im not sure why the authorities are taking it seriously. For me,its the closest I have come to meditation and most likely the longest time i have sat still whilst awake :lol:

i don't know the technical basis for idose. binaural beats are real, and we all know music can have an extreme emotional impact. don't doubt! since you have downloaded the big torrent pack, i'd just put different ones on for a few minutes. some of them, i felt very quickly. it can be quite unpleasant.

maybe they can actually be bad for you, or provide the opposite of an entheogen experience? i think it's retarded to name the tracks after drugs but i already said that didn't i? but seriously.... do you think you are gonna start having an acid trip after listening to some sound for half an hour? i'm very skeptical.

look forward to hearing experiences from you guys.

I'll download them once i'm uncapped.

Sounds to me like people are complaining about relaxation tapes, i guess we'll have to ban the sound of running water next.

http://pinwheel.ytmnd.com/

That should be banned, i've gotten amazing visuals from looking at that.

• Like 1

Do the noticeable effects start after the 45 minute listening period or while you are listening? All I have done so far is rip into some mates by email that were singling out someone with a disability. That it my normal behaviour though.

I must be on the tail end as the noise just started petering out.

Edit: Well the program has finished and I haven't had any noticeable effects. I am relaxed but that can be expected after 45 minutes of semi meditation.

Bread what I meant to type was it was doing nothing for me [maybe relaxed a little but that was all. then that I would not pay for this i-dose and for that reason. Not that I would pay for something that does not work for me..

Since when has inducing a state of trance through sound been revolutionary?

Whilst searching on the net for this 'new' phenomenon, I found this amusing description of 'how to get high digitally' - "It's not that difficult - simply find a dark room, slip on your headphones and sit motionless." That could simply be edited to 'Find a dark room.' Sensory deprivation, chanting, dancing, singing, playing music, meditating - they all work :)

It wouldn't surprise me with the way the world is going, that 'feeling ecstatic' will be an offence, punishable by law...it is already heavily medicated by orthodox medicine and considered to be an abnormality.

Bread what I meant to type was it was doing nothing for me [maybe relaxed a little but that was all. then that I would not pay for this i-dose and for that reason. Not that I would pay for something that does not work for me..

That's cool man, no worries. The meditation time was very beneficial for me.

Distracted: It is only like a 16mb download so is doable even on the old dial up. Thanks for the pinwheel link.

Edited by Bread Filter

I like binaural beats, but naming them after a drug is stupid, all binaural beats do the same thing, they dont seem to have different effects (as with the drugs they are named after), the main effect is relaxation/contemplation and meditation, such a deep state I would have to call it a trance. I recommend hemi-sync over i-dose products becuase they dont have the retarded names and they use music over the top of the binaaural beats allowing a more peaceful experience, i-dose is a bit more raw.

Trance can be similar to a drug experience for those who don't seek and don't venture far. Drugs and inducing trance states are the point of many initiations rites, binuaral beats is simply a modern way of inducing trance, in the past we used different sounds and continuous rythms/beats to induce trance. To me it is slightly different to music, as music usually has a strong emotional component, but these seem more aimed at the stimulating the mind than the emotions.

People 'concerned' about this kind of music and kids are probably beyond reason and beyond where I can reach or even communicate with them.

Edited by ref1ect1ons

xenakis and steve reich are legends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it depends on people.

I love noise and experimental musick!

Yeah not knocking it, just that I never experienced it myself. I actually like quite of a bit of Reich's stuff, not really the newer work so much, but Music for 18 Musicians, Drumming, Electric Counterpoint, Different Trains.. stuff like that. I used to really like all the experimental/noise/atonal stuff, but maybe I'm getting old now cool.gif I remember when I used to work at BP on the nightshift, I could play whatever I wanted, and Music for 18 Musicians was on ABC radio. This guy comes in and stood there for a second.. "hey that's steve reich.. I never thought I'd hear that playing in a service station", which I suppose doesn't happen all that often :P

maybe they can actually be bad for you, or provide the opposite of an entheogen experience? i think it's retarded to name the tracks after drugs but i already said that didn't i? but seriously.... do you think you are gonna start having an acid trip after listening to some sound for half an hour? i'm very skeptical.

I was thinking the same thing.. maybe there's some potential for negative effects. Although it's strange how they're going off on that news report about "saving the kids" when it appears as though they don't know much about it at all. Other than.... IT'S DIGITAL DRUGS!!!! slap.gif

Since when has inducing a state of trance through sound been revolutionary?

you can say that again!

the only offensive thing about all this is how they're markedted... as you said...

as for Steve Reich, yeah, Music for 18 Musicians is an awesome piece of work

I've used a some binaural beat software and some of it quite good, it can induce visuals and send you into a meditative state in minutes.

To call it a drug is just nonsense, what's next ban MP3 players ?

It could send you to the dark side of the moon with some chemical assistance though. :shroomer:

what's so good about steve reich? he was even mentioned in the article. what has that (no offense, personal opinion only) shitty boring music got to do with idoser?

what's so good about steve reich? he was even mentioned in the article. what has that (no offense, personal opinion only) shitty boring music got to do with idoser?

Like I said in the 2nd post.. early Reich stuff was highly repetitive (short loops going out of phase with one another), and some people said they had ecstatic/breakthrough experiences listening to it (and other noise/experimental music, like La Monte Young's dreamhouse stuff). Whether they actually include any binaural beats stuff I have no idea, but it supposedly has similar effects on some people.