The Corroboree
Teljkon

Whale Wars

sdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

i don't think aliens would look upon it with much favour, that's just a guess obviously.

whales are clearly very intelligent, but unlike apes which are very similar to us, whales are still mysterious. we should let them rule the ocean in peace, along with other intelligent sea mammals.

although nothing about the earth is considered sacred, even though it could be the most beautiful planet in the universe for all we know. i suppose we should just take whatever we want from her because profit to individual humans is all that really matters.

• Like 1

my family has ties to Tasmania's whaling past.

What gets me is how much attention whales and dolphins get and while other creatures such as intensively farmed pigs get some media coverage they are not a popular one for school kids to study or do a project on at school.

I eat meat have hunted in the past and often go fishing there is something wholesome about getting your hands dirty if you choose to eat meat.

I find captain fat beard and his sea Sheppard group farcical and their actions akin to terrorism.

there has got to be nothing more sickening than activism for activism's sake if you have one maybe a few causes your passionate about great I admire you but from my experience with activists in tassie they seem to have a lot of people involved just for the battle not the war they appear to protest for whales one week then the forest then the nukes and so on flying all around the world on daddy's credit card

I don't mean to offend anyone just my point of view but I have been completely disheartened by tassie's breed of activist's for activism's sake

good action guys good action...BANGHEAD2.gif

Edited by josho

im all for conservation and unnecessary suffering.

but none for uninformed pseudo-hippyism.

i cant see an issue with the whalers hunting minke whales.(regulated, of course)

they are in quite sustainable proportions, compared to most commonly eaten seafoods.

im all for conservation and unnecessary suffering.

but none for uninformed pseudo-hippyism.

i cant see an issue with the whalers hunting minke whales.(regulated, of course)

they are in quite sustainable proportions, compared to most commonly eaten seafoods.

Yeah, but can you think of any logical reason a 1st world country would need to hunt them, apart form novelty purposes?

People can talk about domesticated pigs and the integrity of activists all day. But fair is fair! As it stands, there making there billions chopping down our forests and fishing our oceans at completely unsustainable levels, which the majority of it is just for novelty purposes! I really can't see how anyone can justify saying people don't have the right to at least say, while your screwing the rest of the world up (just for the fun of it), do you think you could possibly, LEAVE the mammals of the ocean alone!

Yeah, but can you think of any logical reason a 1st world country would need to hunt them, apart form novelty purposes?

no different from killing a cow IF the numbers are sustainable, which minke, from what i read, most certainly are. IMO.

sonar research

I'm againgst hunting endangered/threatened species, i'd personally consider the entire ocean endangered :P

It's hard to be against regular joe going out and fishing though... but commercial fishing is good for nothing.

but commercial fishing is good for nothing.

ban the sushi! :P

what personally shits me are these sushi eating pseudo hippy 'vegetarians' that only eat fish and try and make ur life miserable for tucking into a t-bone.

like how much wasted life from a piece of longline caught tuna?

how much discarded dead fish and crustations from trawler caught tuna??

deadset some left wing pseudo 'vegos hippys' im sure just have a whinge for the sake of having a whinge, living in a state of constant contradictory drugged out haze.

conservations where its at IMO

asdfsdfsd

Edited by Teljkon

Hi I very recently finished a degree in fisheries and aquaculture mannagement. five odd years ago when I started it seemed like a great idea. But The whole comercial fishing world is utterly depressing! :(

It really angers me that whaling gets so much publicity, when the state of our oceans dire!

I have this arguement with manny 'environmentalists'. But I stand by my belief that whaling is the least of our concerns! Countries like Japan and China have such an enormous demand for the worlds seafood. They want it, they are willing to pay high prices for it and they dont care how it is caught or how endangered the target species is.

The really important species (sharks, tuna, and other top level preditors) are depleted to levels so low it is a joke that we still fish for them. Advancements in fishing technology is the only reason you can still go and buy most of these products.

Whales are cute and we dont eat them so lets waste lots of government $$$ trying to stop that when it would be much better spent on fisheries mannagement.

Your average shcmuck has no idea how much we have depleted the ocean (to the point of serious concequences). The people doing it dont care, aslong as get there fish and the human race wont do anything about it untill its to late, just like every other broadscale environmental problem.

sorry bit of a depressing rant, but feels good geting it off my chest.

my 2c

del

nobody who eats fish is a vegetarian. feel free to tell them so. they are pescetarians although semi-vegetarian would also describe them.

sxvxcx

Edited by Teljkon

he is talking about the action being taken by the australian government. seems like a valid point.

hi sorry, yeh i got a bit carried away and poetic with that claim,

While greenpeace and seashepards efforts may be privately funded, all the beaurocracy, paper pushing, delegates, debates etc are not. The Australian Government is very anti whaleing and goes to great lengths in opposing Japans "scientific" exploits in any way they can politically. Im not saying they dont have good intentions (I think its sweet :rolleyes: ) but I really think the money and efforts could be better used in trying to manage sustainable fisheries and habitat protection.

Protecting the oceans by saving the top level consumers is just stupid. You need to start at the bottom (habitat protection etc) There is no point saving whales when we are killing everything else.

sorry I will shut up. thanks for hearing me out.

:P

cheers del

• Like 1

whaling is part of japanese culture and history

sure there's corruption in the whaling industry and its driven by profit and science has nothing to do with it

but there could be sustainable whale harvesting where the whales are respected.

whales are pretty sacred , but you cant dictate morals to other cultures and nations. its such a moronic british attitude and it stinks.

its also totally racist. why arent the norwegian and icelandic nations persecuted for their whaling practices?

aussies are pretty thick and so easily motivated by this WW2 jap-hating syndrome. they just dont trust asians.

2 wongs dont make a white is stil pretty recent history.

besides, we should stfu and stop dropping bombs on afghani children

edit: well, you know what i mean. we aren't dropping the bombs (are we?) but we do it by proxy

Edited by flora

i'm not sure about the northern whaling operations, but i am pretty sure they don't whale in the southern ocean hence why australia has it's beef with the japanese. there may be an aspect of racism in there but i don't think it's aimed specifically at asians.

thanks del, you make ALOT of sense.

semi-vegetarian

no way, fish IS meat.

whales are pretty sacred

from a hindu perspective so are cows?

i think its all about conservation and sustainablity.

sure whales should be protected if numbers threatened, but so should snapper.

semi vegetarian = mostly vegetarian, but not 100%

eg "occasionally i eat meat". that deserves recognition doesn't it?

on a funny note (i think so anyway) sometimes i have dreams where i'm eating some kind of animal. like a raw, live lizard for instance, and after 7.4 years as a vegetarian i think to myself "why the fuck am i chewing on this lizard?"

do you wear leather?

vegetarian as in u dont eat fish or chicken? any meat at all?

thats what id call a vegetarian, or is that vegan? whats the difference between a vegetarian or a vegan?

vegetarians can access loopholes to consuming anaimal products? not being cheeky, just looking for clarification.

not talking about myself, pure lacto vegetarian here, no eggs or any meat, yes i wear leather boots and belts.

so i'm not semi vegetarian but the term is fair and i think if somebody is nearly a vegetarian they have every right to claim semi vegetarianism.

vegetarian is generally taken to mean that you eat eggs and dairy.

lacto = utilises dairy

ovo = utilises eggs

vegan = no animal products, no honey

i don't know of any loopholes, but hey, i'm not out to impress anybody, it is purely a personal choice. i know that with the amount of supermarket food i eat, there is going to be some stuff i ingest that is derived from bone or filtered through crushed snail shell or some such eg i check ingredients carefully but not against a list of numbers. i always have a laugh when biscuits say "vegetable and/or beef fat" beef fat in biscuits wtf? a lot of baked stuff is off limits.

anyway i think this is sufficiently de-railed for now

What if a vegetarian was dying on an island devoid of any edible plant matter and ate some dolphin? Could he be considered a vegetarian then?

I would pretty much call myself a vegetarian. But I wouldn't say no to eating roo, emu, camel or maybe, if I had to go all Bear Grills Id eat some snails or whatever to survive. So what kind of vegetarian am I?

Austro-survivo vegetarian

LOL.im so glad im an omnivore. being vegetarian is confusing!

asdad

Edited by Teljkon

The baffling fact, about the issue of whale eating in Japan, is that japanese don't even consider whale meat to be good tasting or anything special...in fact, for them, it is linked with school lunch menu ! For years i have asked a lot of people in Japan if they liked the taste of whale, i've nerver had one positive answer: they all think it's not very good.

I'm sure that it is the whale fishers and whale fishing industry that are puting pressure to keep on fishing because as for the general population they don't care much about this meat at all.

Another puzzling thing is the issue of Mediteranean tuna. Here in Europe we are in a big mess: the specie is going extinct, the fishers want to keep fishing because they can't imagine doing another thing in life and japan government puts a lot of pressure on keeping this catastrophic situation...but this year, when i arrived in Japan i was extremely surprised to discover that, in fact, mediteranean tuna is considered as "inferior grade" ! :blink::BANGHEAD2:

Japanese are madly passionate with cooking and eating, it's an incredible cultural thing. The japanese cooking is one of the most delicate and rich in the world...the negative side of this is that japanese people would never stop eating a fish (or any other animal/plant) that is on the verge of extinction if this fish tastes good. They can't be reasonable on this issue, it would be like asking a politician to stop thinking about his election/reelection.

LOL.im so glad im an omnivore. being vegetarian is confusing!

nah it's not vegetarianism that is confusing it is having a structure of morals/ethics that you adhere to daily that is confusing. This is made even more confusing by the fact that one must explain this code of ethics to others and most often must take up a label to shorthand this code so that people may understand it without having to hear one's ethical life story.

On whaling now....

a large percentage of the whale meat the japanese have gained from their scientific expeditions end up as dog food. Food for thought (pun not intended)