The Corroboree
watertrade

bronze casting / EGA fundraising

Hi

Some people may remember I made a bronze cast grafted Loph for the grafting competition a couple of years back. I later use them for fundraising for EGA.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15718&st=0

I want a new project to work on; do people have any suggestions as to what I could make next? They will be cast in bronze and be used to raise funds for the next EGA (& me) I was thinking maybe Hyoscyamus or Salvia, maybe a Trichocereus tip.

Any ideas?

subs. they would be wicked :)

edit: as in psilocybe.

Edited by meanies

a largish trich seedling, thinner at base and getting larger, like a real plant. Or yeah, a psycho0 cast would be awesome.

wow that casting looks fantastic, A entire cake of mushrooms would look great... not sure if you could cast it would be a challenge.

ahhhh, so watertrade you're the creator of the bronze peyote cast that i won in the EGA raffle that now adorns my room. was wondering who made it. so thank you and massive props for your masterpiece, it's great -- very unique and looks beautiful newimprovedwinkonclear.gif

are you intending to limit your casting to plants? something like replicating artefacts or stone carvings of psychedelics would be awesome. i'm not sure if doing this would be considered offensive to the native cultures, but if you checked with them first then i think they'd look great.

2909319.jpg

xochipilli.jpg

i'm not sure about the constraints of the casting process but i reckon a flowering poppy or shrooms would be pretty dope. or maybe even molecules, such as the ones that MAPS were auctioning off.

in terms of raising funds for EGA, perhaps more funds could be made from auctioning it individually than including it in the raffle? if you put it on ebay, then you'd no longer be limited to australian buyers.

can you use multiple metal types? or maybe selectively alter the finish of the bronze to create different tones in the bronze? that'd be chronic if you could do that with something like an amanita top.

LOL maybe we could auction off a dinner date with denis to raise funds?

Maybe a brugmansia/datura flower.

It may be quite a task though.

So did u win a grafted loph in that prize pool too faustus?

Lucky bastids, I had to earn mine :P, brings a smile to my face whenever I gaze upon it.

You could do more yote, but ytour looking for a new challenge yeah?

I like the shroom idea, azure's or cubes are bigger & meatier, maybe better subjects.

Poppy Pods would look good & relatively easy I would imagine.

nah, the main prize pool was split among several winners.

i was pretty easy with whatever i got, but i really really just wanted the sapo. everything else was a bonus.

What about a cauducus entwined with caapi vines and salvia leaves at the top instead of wings.

Just kidding that would be a nightmare in bronze, it would look good though.

It could work in something softer and more forgiving like pewter.

I know Faustus got one first, then Shruman won one at the comp. Did you get one at last years EGA naja? Glad you guys are enjoying them

Faustus - I like the idea about reproducing artefacts. I think it would be ok ethically as long as I didn't pass myself off as real deal - i.e. I make copies of real artefacts.

I also thought about poppy pods but don't really want guys at work to catch on. ;)

I can cast other metals although bronze is the most common and easy to cast. When I do the bronzes I will probably also do some aluminium ones as we will be pouring aluminium too. (I don't want to tease anyone but I was thinking of casting some in lead crystal ;) )

Bronze patination can take on the following colours (and more)

post-903-127668795925_thumb.jpg

the original ones are black and have been polished to show highlights.

They can also be polished to a high shine.

post-903-127668799104_thumb.jpg

Edited by watertrade

can you cast multiple metals within the one item? for instance, flower petals one metal, leaves another?

sounds like you could have endless fun with that!

re: poppies, i think they're among the most beautiful flowers, psychoactive or otherwise and i'd hate for you to dismiss it just cos it might raise a few eyebrows. you could always say you're making them for remembrance day and then donate one to RSL so that it isn't an outright lie.

Edited by faustus

can you cast multiple metals within the one item? for instance, flower petals one metal, leaves another?

sounds like you could have endless fun with that!

To have two different metals I would have to do two pours - one of metal A and one of metal B, which is twice as much work ;) they would then need to be welded together.

if you are doing it at work it might not be such a top idea to be making mushrooms with your spare time then... the ol' shroom is pretty much embedded in the collective consciousness of australia. Maybe a caapi vine snaking it's way up something would be cool and easily passed off as a present...

dunno how much of an issue it is for ya though.

Metal mushrooms would be cool though - I imagine they would change colour, (or whatever the appropriate term to use here is) because of oxidation? That would be a top feature also.

peace

Datura seedpod & flower would be so cool.

How about a bust of the EGA "ethnohead" image designed by a member here (sorry can't remember who designed it and I can't find the thread)? Would probably want to get artist approval first of course. I also don't know how difficult it would be, making a sphere would be hard enough for me I reckon.

Or a bust of this dude would be pretty sweet too...

post-4739-12766904887_thumb.jpg

Just realised you made the Loph by making a mold from an actual Loph. Might be a little difficult to make either bust if you need the original to make the mold, unless you are thinking of carving a model for molding.

your the man watertrade, your work is amazing :devil:

Just realised you made the Loph by making a mold from an actual Loph. Might be a little difficult to make either bust if you need the original to make the mold, unless you are thinking of carving a model for molding.

biggrin.gif

I could model one but it is easier just to cast one from the actual object. I was going to ask you to volunteer your head ;P

if its feasable I support the mushroom idea.

an Ariocarpus retusus would look pretty awesome too

I like the poppy pod idea. I saw a display at the State Library of Queensland library (next to the museum) at Southbank, Brisbane. It's an instaliation of 777 aluminum poppy heads in the shape of an infinity symbol and my favourite permanent art piece in the library.

BlackOpium_72.jpg

Black Opium

By Fiona Foley

More info here

A few bronze heads would look awesome maybe in a glass box or with a bronze base?

You rock, watertrade :lol:

Good timing, I'm just getting towards making a start on EGA Raffle 2010!

Mushrooms sound good but im sure the same questions may arise as the poppy idea

If you went with the poppy idea you may be able to disguise the theme as Remembrance day poppy's ?