The Corroboree
santiago

Awesome bargain $$$

Russell Hobbs 8 litre stainless steel pressure cooker.

$69

RRP is normally $249

Kmart 3rd til 9th June 2010

Not available North Queensland, South Hedland, Karratha, Darwin, Mackay, Gladstone, Cairns, Innisfail & Rockhampton.

sik! also a similar size stainless cooker at aldi came out last week i was going to get. $79 if anyone cant get to kmart

Yeah the one aldi was a bit smaller 6lt , the extra 2 litres makes a big difference.

8 lt still a bit small really, but for that price it's excellent value.

For mycology investment purposes, one generally requires a pressure cooker that can safely handle 15psi or more of pressure. Many cookers are made to function at lower pressures than this (may be preset to only work at a particular pressure) and may be dangerous if operated at higher pressures.

As a sound mycological investment one requires a certain amount of information about a cooker at least in regards to operating pressures.

Edited by Mycot

For mycology investment purposes, one generally requires a pressure cooker that can safely handle 15psi or more of pressure. Many cookers are made to function at lower pressures than this (may be preset to only work at a particular pressure) and may be dangerous if operated at higher pressures.

As a sound mycological investment one requires a certain amount of information about a cooker at least in regards to operating pressures.

While 15psi is recommended, it's not actually necessary. You can use a 6psi pressure cooker with no problems. Just up the time of cooking and it will cause no issues. This holds true for sterilising agar, grain, bags, etc.

• Like 1

While 15psi is recommended, it's not actually necessary. You can use a 6psi pressure cooker with no problems. Just up the time of cooking and it will cause no issues. This holds true for sterilising agar, grain, bags, etc.

While true, depending on the pressure, cooking times may need to be considerably extended.

Agreed. In a smaller cooker, this can present a problem due to evaporation. In a large cooker though, it's not really an issue.

Good point it does make it easier (but not absolutely essential) as all the teks are geared to the 15 psi pressure/temp.

Maybe rip one out of the box and read the booklet to see what pressure it operates at.

Sometimes the pressures are given in metric

This conversion may help

1.1 kg sq cm = 15.645677638 psi

0.6 kg sq cm = 8.534005984 psi

no need to worry about the decimals it's just a guide

took the book out of the box and read front to back 3 times, it did not have any pressure stats within it only had two settings min and max. mind you it took a visit to 4 kmarts to get this done as they were sold out...i had two random women with me at 930am thismorning quizzing the customer service desk too. hey im happy anyway...plus its freakin wild you can cook a proper soup in under 10 mins when that shit normally takes hours (unless you drink fully loaded can from the can like i do)

drool2.gif

plus its freakin wild you can cook a proper soup in under 10 mins when that shit normally takes hours (unless you drink fully loaded can from the can like i do)

drool2.gif

He's hungry for danger, he can take the heat.....

With an 8 litre PC be sure to have a good amount of water in it when you start (probably over 600ml) and once the valve starts venting turn the stove down as low as possible ( so the PC only just vents) or you could dry up all the water inside and that is never good.

A lot of teks say to let the PC cool overnight, but I like to noc things up as soon as it reaches body temp.

Happy cooking

Thank you for taking the time to contact Salton and for your enquiry regarding one of our products.

Don’t forget all Russell Hobbs products have a two year manufactures warranty and the RHCC008 Pressure Cooker is an exclusive product to K-Mart stores.

When on LOW Pressure is at 60 kPa & 8 psi and on HIGH Pressure 90 kPa & 13 psi.

ballzac thanks for that great information in context of the thread.

edit add fully loaded can

Edited by santiago

Agreed. In a smaller cooker, this can present a problem due to evaporation. In a large cooker though, it's not really an issue.

Doesnt a longer cook dry the substrate a bit?

Doesnt a longer cook dry the substrate a bit?

No, not in my experience.

Just saw this at kmart in Wendouree for $39. There were at least a dozen of them on the shelf. I don't know if they still have them in any other stores, but might be worth checking out if you're after a pressure cooker. I've had this one since this topic was first started, used it several times and have not had a problem with it. IMO $69 was a huge bargain, and $39 an even greater bargain. Was tempted to get another one at that price, but couldn't really justify having two.