The Corroboree

Hi all,

Toying with the idea of buying power assisted bike. I'm only a couple of km away from work but am reasonably unfit, the power assist appeals to me as I may actually have a chance of making it to work without being drenched in sweat and needing a shower. Then I can "exercise" on the way home etc. I try and use my motorbike rather than my car but I'd like to have close to zero transport emissions if possible, and it's too far to walk. The idea is more to show support for lowering emission that to save money on transport costs, though that would be nice too (but not likely considering the purchase price plus the cost of replacement batts after a few hundred cycles).

I've noticed in other threads that botanika has an electric scooter and teonanacatl has a electric bike. Anyone else? Comments? More after first hand info on general construction quality, durability, brand recommendations etc.

I want it to be legal and not need rego, 200W is the NSW max. Yes I could slip a 1000W in there without too many problems but am concerned if I'm involved in an accident there will be legal issues, like for that poor chap in QLD a while back. I've been advised to avoid the eBay cheapies and the quality is poor, but this advice came from someone who doesn't actually have one.

Hopefully they decide soon whether or not they will increase the max power limit to something more sensible, though 300W is on the cards it's still pretty piss poor power. Be great if we took the US approach and have a higher wattage but top speed limited. Anyway.

Oh, and if you have one, is the motor geared or single speed? I hear that while you have driveline losses due to the gearing, overall performance is much better. I assume that they mean that they use a geared motor and separate gears on the bike for normal riding?

I'd also go straight to Li batts to save some weight. And looking to buy a whole bike not just the electric kit. I don't want to modify my other bike.

thanks

To be Honest get a real pedal powered bike. The electric jobs are dodgey. Plus you get fit on the real thing

Thanks.

As I indicated above I have a bike. Actually I have a few, which I do ride and don't wish to modify. I don't want to just chuck a front electric hub on those. I'd prefer rear drive.

Edited by Alice

i see this guy powering around (if powering is the right word, looks pretty slow) encapsulated in a yellow aerodynamic raincoat the shape of a surfboard. the wheels protrude out the bottom and his head from the top, and he opens up the side to get out and walk it across busy roads. he appears to be sitting very low in it. hey if it can go up hills without much problem then it doesn't look too bad.

not the only odd bicycle i've seen around.

ok... but in the first shots of that vid i see an exhaust as it takes off... and its making way too much noise for electric, so i'm a bit of a disbeliever so far.

but really, an electric motorbike totally makes sense! I really don't understand how it hasn't already taken off!

A number of people on my street have electric bikes and they do make a fair bit of noise, sound like someones whippersnippering

It depends on how much you want to pay the powerped seem to be popular brand in a couple of the aussie sellers & they are around 2k 3k+, & for a cheaper brand just over $1000.

So if the aim is lowering emissions rather to save money it may be wiser to look into solar panels solar hot water for home (that is if your not renting)

edit to add (not dissing your motivation but still lots of peddling involved ) somedays will be too cold too hot or cant be fucked days, where a diy solar electric panel or hot water system will still work on those days you cant be bothered with the electric bike :blush: better all round both value for your money & emission wise if you did the calculations ?

Edited by mac

It depends on how much you want to pay the powerped seem to be popular brand in a couple of the aussie sellers & they are around 2k 3k+, & for a cheaper brand just over $1000.

So if the aim is lowering emissions rather to save money it may be wiser to look into solar panels solar hot water for home (that is if your not renting)

edit to add (not dissing your motivation but still lots of peddling involved ) somedays will be too cold too hot or cant be fucked days, where a diy solar electric panel or hot water system will still work on those days you cant be bothered with the electric bike :blush: better all round both value for your money & emission wise if you did the calculations ?

Thanks everyone, some good suggestions.

Mac - have solar hot water already, it works superbly as it's positioned perfectly and not shaded.

Panels for electricity will go on soon, still researching. Unfortunately With the SHW taking up the perfect spot and due to the design of the roof, I'll have to juggle things a bit to get any decent sized system up there. So deciding how to go about squeezing more that 1.5 or 2KW system without raising the panels high off the roof is proving challenging.