The Corroboree
reshroomED

Otways mushshroom camping/hunting

Think I might be able to make this one sounds like fun :)

I'd like to join for the Saturday if it's do-able. Unfortunately, family commitments won't let me actually camp out, but I'd love to make it along for the day. Could leave Melbourne early morning and head back after dark. How easy would it be to locate the expedition?

I'll make some high quality maps of how to find the spot in the next week and make available to all coming.

Also, I like to sleep in these days, so if you leave Melbourne at first light, I'll still be at the camp-site when you arrive.

Finding people through the day may be more difficult as most will be out hunting around.

Anyone got a UHF or old 27Mhz walkie-talkie? Would make co-ordination/meets a lot easier.

How about someone puts their hand up to co-ordinate this thing?

I suspect that a few will pull-out at the last moment, but maybe less if there's a steady hand on the tiller.

Haven't gotten out for a look yet, but will make a point of doing so sometime through the week when the tourist-factor is at it's lowest.

Been reasonably wet, and getting some nice cold nights, so I'd expect that they're happening.

I'll post here when I've had a squiz.

ed

How is everybody getting here? I can easily give people a lift who are coming by bus or train. When is everybody getting here? I'll be going out friday night and leaving the sunday arvo. Hunting most of saturday i guess.

I went driving around aire valley and found the campsite, pretty muddy. I went out sunday and it really seemed busy. Beauchamp falls carpark was fucking packed, even saw a yuppie couple snaking on cheese and wine at the red woods. Ahhh, the red woods. Fucking amazing spot. Walking amoungst them it's so quiet, just the ambience of the wind and the river. Me without a camera ffs. MASSIVE aminatas there. Picturesque, classical looking red with white dots.

What about a communal mushroom soup? A convoy of cars buggin' around hunting might get a bit crowded and muddled but i honestly reckon we leave organising that till the weekend. Easier that way i think. Still keen to chop some fire wood Ed? I reckon we'll need it. Or we could prob buy some if everyone wanted to chip in.

What's to co-ordinate at this point? As long as we know where to go and people that need lifts are set, then we can organise shit on the weekend. Does anybody need to borrow anything? lol. I have one sleeping bag that i can lend. Dunno if i'll be sleeping in my car or tent. Could lend either. As long as i'm not the only weird one then it's all good.

cheers

Aight, I'm not sure who's organising this thing, but if somebody could give us a meeting place/time/date and I'll see ya's there that'd be great, super keen to meet more of you trippers and go berserk picking shrooms, sounds like fun!

Im coming from the west and could probably swing by colac on friday arvo/sat morning to pick up people. Although I have got nothing to do friday so will probably be heading out then.

Ill put my hand up for bringing wood for the weekend. I have got a huge stack it in my shed that needs to be used.

A tip for non locals- bring warm clothing. It gets very cold in these parts in winter and most possibly it will rain.

Bring good boots, waterproof pants or changes of clothing because we will be trekking through some thick spiky wet undergrowth- lots of fun but can be uncomfortable if not prepared.

I have a feeling it will will rain sometime in the weekend so ill bring a big tarp and some rope for shelter, if we are camping around trees.

I propose we bring our own food. Plan for cooking facilities/ bbq being available. mmm me thinks there is going to be milk caps on toast for me for breakfast

Not sure if there are hot plates on the fires where we are camping?? yawning man?? ED??

I think ill be bringing a tent.

when i had a look at beauchamp falls the other day there was hundreds of amanitas throughout the campsite. Will be quite cool to wake up in a mushroom jungle

looking forward to this. Should be good fun

Hey lampy

There are a couple of VERY rusted, small cooking bbqs. Fire heated of course. Yeah i was gonna bring my own food anyway, hence why i started the camping food thread :lol:

Just an idea, how about we all meet at Beech forest pub? Once on friday and again on saturday. Its only about 10-15 mins from the pub to the camp site. But once people know when they will arrive we could have set times of the day when we will all be there so people can just follow us? It's only two weeks away kids so post up and let us know your plans!!!!!!

Ill put my hand up for bringing wood for the weekend. I have got a huge stack it in my shed that needs to be used.

Good stuff lampy! We'll bloody need it man.

Can't wait to go all commando hunting in the bush. I'll go all Walter E. Kurtz on your arses hahaha.

cheers

I'll probably get there early friday afternoon then just see what happens from there. 

I'll try to bring some wood. We really will need as much as possible. Gotta have a nice hot camp fire going, it's going to be bloody cold! 

Might very well make this one, Nat and myself, lots to organise if we are to make it but will do our best :)

so if you leave Melbourne at first light, I'll still be at the camp-site when you arrive.

Yeah, this sounds like a plan. If you can post or PM a map that would be great.

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Aight, I'm not sure who's organising this thing, but if somebody could give us a meeting place/time/date and I'll see ya's there that'd be great, super keen to meet more of you trippers and go berserk picking shrooms, sounds like fun!

Date 29/30th May

Meeting place should be the Beech Forest pub/ Time - friday arvo and then again saturday morning. That date again is 29/30th May

Anyone who needs to borrow something, ask and hopefully myself or someone else coming can provide. Mmm, i found some decent pots and pans and shit that everyone is welcome to use!! It's next weekend!

Ahh yeah, usual stuff, warm clothes, change of socks and shoes!! Leeches are common if anyone has a phobia or something lol. And if anyone else can spare some firewood..we'll love you it!

cheers

bit of a long shot but if there is anyone is coming near canberra on their way to the camp and wants to share fuel and yarns please PM me.

I know there is probably going to be a group of Canberrians going but there isn't really the room in the car.

let me know guys. :)

id be keen to come and share costs with u wt if u could pick me up on way through?

Does anyone have any contacts or tips for hiring a campervan from Canberra? Everyone could fit in that.

Date 29/30th May

Meeting place should be the Beech Forest pub/ Time - friday arvo and then again saturday morning. That date again is 29/30th May

Alright, then the pub it is Friday arvo....will come from the west (just crossing the SA/VIC border in the morning, so if anyone needs a pickup along that way we can arrange something).

Cheers Satyr

Date 29/30th May

I'm hoping to head down Friday night after work. This will mean I won't be there till the witching hour. Did someone mentioned PMing maps for the camp site?

Did someone mentioned PMing maps for the camp site?

Can someone please PM me a map? We have to do a bit of organising to see if we can even get there.

I've got the maps made, but need to do an actual drive to get the distances and road-signs exact.

I'll do my best to have them completed in the next few days.

To estimate your journey try whereis.com,Google Maps, etc (the camp-site is about ten-fifteen minutes drive from Beech Forest).

ed

^^Thanks heaps for that.

For some reason I had assumed it was 4 hours drive from Canberra.

Now I believe what everyone has been telling me, damn thats a long drive!

a friend of a friend just got back from an scout around the otways.

They said the sub season has just started. Lots of pins that will be perfect in about 1-2 weeks, just in time for the camping trip.

They took a photo of todays finds aswell

post-2062-127424466324_thumb.jpg

im hopin there will be a canberra convoy i can join.

@ Lampy - This pleases me!

@ Satyr - No problem! Could you let me know a rough time you'll be arriving?

That goes for everyone else who plans on meeting at the Pub before. Seeing as it's not too far from the spot i'm happy to go back and forth to help people get to the spot. Umm it sorta looks like we're set haha, dunno. Probably forgetting something important. I like to have a checklist when i go camping, as my memory is shite at the best of times.

@ Incognito - Looks like Bread filter is keen man. And aren't icecube and them crew from canberra?

And big ups to everyone coming from interstate!! Respect.

cheers

@ Incognito - Looks like Bread filter is keen man. And aren't icecube and them crew from canberra?

And big ups to everyone coming from interstate!! Respect.

cheers

We are all working it out together behind the scenes. Cheers :)

im only comin cos ed promised me hed protect me :wub:

got a prob? speak to ed!! :P

@ Incognito - What? Shut up.

deal with him ed ;) i was HORSIN AROUNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD JEBUS

:rolleyes:

Horsing-Around.jpg

Edited by incognito