The Corroboree
reshroomED

Otways mushshroom camping/hunting

The work roster is out and so is this date for me. Of all the weekends that I have to work, this is one :/

If people are interested in changing the date I'm free the weekend before, 29-30th of May. No stress if it can't be moved, zems the breaks.

Ah,no good! But everyone else has yet to confirm for that date, so it could change a bit later. Keep ya fingers crossed man.

Went out for a look this arvo, very dry but lots of other species of fungi dotted around the place. I think were gonna need a lot more rain and cooler temps before our friends emerge from the woodwork! And did i spot you out there ED?? I was at the Old Beechy line picnic area, thought i saw your car tailing a commodore.

Anyway, it would be good if people could let us know what their plans are. And anyone else who is interested in coming dont be shy! Get amoungst it.

cheers

Greetings fellow friends of the fungus,

that Otway-trip sounds promising and I really would like to join you. 4th-7th of June suits me well.

Hopefully see ya all in the woods.

Cheers satyr :)

And did i spot you out there ED?? I was at the Old Beechy line picnic area, thought i saw your car tailing a commodore.

Ahh, would have stopped if I'd spotted you. Was looking for a spot to give the dogs a run but didn't want to annoy anyone, so kept going when I saw a vehicle there.

Did you see any amanitas or lepiotas? Probably still a bit early, but they're always a sign that conditions are approaching requirements.

Didn't bother having a look due to the dryness, plus I do nearly all my picking South of Beech Forrest anyways- I prefer grovelling through natural vegetation to the plantations and rest-areas etc.

Although some subs do seem to thrive on the edges of cleared areas of bush. Five or six years ago, the edge of the pines at the rear Stephenson's Falls car-park used to produce enormous wavy-capped subs (around the 8" mark) but they revamped the area putting in walking tracks etc right through where they used to grow. Probably worth going back and having a look in a month's time, as I haven't checked since the year that I found they'd done modifications. They were a sub-type (of sub - very azurescens-like) that I haven't seen elsewhere than that one small area, though I seriously doubt that they were so restricted in location.

I'll try to head down into the gullies in the next week or so, it's a *lot* colder and wetter down the bottom of some of those valleys. I'll post here when I get around to doing it.

cheers

ed

Yeah i heard Steveo's falls used to be a good spot. But 8" subs, thats mad! Actually i frequent a lot of spots around that area. I have found some amazing subs near there. Picture perfect in every way. And very strong lol. Sorry Ed, pretty bad with species ID. There were a few large shrooms out there but not sure if they were amanitas and void of any idea on what lepiotas are. Thats why i'm keen for this camp trip lol.

So, can people confirm what date is better. I proposed 4th-7th of June but some other have suggested the weekend of 29/30th May It can easily go either way so the sooner we get confimations etc the sooner we can organise everything else :lol: Doubt we'll get a weekend thats suits all so obvious choice would be the weekend that suits the majority.

cheers

im all good for the 29th and 30th

Should have some updates on the wetness and chill factor in the otways soon

Yeah i heard Steveo's falls used to be a good spot. But 8" subs, thats mad! Actually i frequent a lot of spots around that area. I have found some amazing subs near there. Picture perfect in every way. And very strong lol. Sorry Ed, pretty bad with species ID. There were a few large shrooms out there but not sure if they were amanitas and void of any idea on what lepiotas are. Thats why i'm keen for this camp trip lol.

So, can people confirm what date is better. I proposed 4th-7th of June but some other have suggested the weekend of 29/30th May It can easily go either way so the sooner we get confimations etc the sooner we can organise everything else :lol: Doubt we'll get a weekend thats suits all so obvious choice would be the weekend that suits the majority.

cheers

BOTH dates are good for me...so either way I will make the way down...

both dates suit me just fine and dandy :)

might be coming up with 1-2 or two others!

very glad you initiated this - its a great idea IMO!

have never been picking in the otways! always dreamed of it when i was there in the summer-time, even then i could tell the conditions would be perrrrfect :P

hope to meet all you mysterious internet aliases :D !

Good stuff Satyr and Diviner. Ok update, as it stands - Date 29/30th May

Confirmed:

Lampy

Mt. B

Ed

Gecko (haven't heard back from ya yet man)

Jabez (likewise son)

Satyr

Diviner (maybe some crew)

Myself

Maybe:

Greencavefloat

Think i'll hang out most of the weekend, head out friday arvo and pack it up sunday or monday. Like Ed said, try and organise it amoungst yourselves. i.e Camping gear and all that shit. I think this date should be the final and definitive date. Sucks to those who have to bail at some point but yeah, too much piss farting around lol. [edit] We've set a date, and once we agree to a camping spot that's where we'll be on that weekend. At least thats how it's gonna work in my mind.

But in saying that, i'm more than happy to provide a lift to anyone who needs it. Don't mean to sound like a prick, just hearing what happend last Otways trip, yeah.

hope to meet all you mysterious internet aliases :D !

lol, If we look anything like our avatars.

Edited by Yawning Man

update

Went out today for a look around the otways. Was a lot of fungi around including indicator species but no subs yet.

Milk caps are abundant, so i will be having a feast tonight.

Where do we think we will be camping?

Dandos is always a good camping spot.

Yeah man, still seems to dry for the subs. Any photos lampy? I've never been to the Dandos site, but have heard it's quite popular. I reckon the redwoods would be amazing! Being a local i know very few sites so i cant help too much. As long as it's quiet and not full of people i'm happy.

cheers

sorry no photos this time. Couldnt find any charged batteries for my camera.

Had a look around the redwoods campsite and beauchamp falls campsite. Both are great camping

Didnt see a car or person in the 6 hrs i was trekking around.

Will probably go out again in about 2 weeks and see what its like.

Where do we think we will be camping?

Dandos is always a good camping spot.

Options are pretty well:

Dando's

Stephenson's Falls

Aire valley plantation (Redwoods)

Aire crossing

All have long-drop dunnies and are on small rivers.

I'd suggest the Redwoods, as it's a nice spot (where the panorama pic I posted above was taken) and it's easy to have an area 'exclusive' to us, ie with minimal tourist intrusion - not that there should be too many tourists at this time of year anyways.

Aire crossing is the prettiest, but a bit 'touristy' these days, and furthest away (not by much), but the river is fishable - trout, blackfish - here as at above spot.

Dando's is big, very open (was originally designed as a camp-spot for horse-based camping), not rain-forest, but closer to Melb (by about 30kms)

Stephenson's Falls is similar distance-wise (though not anywhere near as large), but on the edge of recently logged pine plantation, so pretty ugly recently.

Wherever is suitable to the consencus works for me.

Hunting for a weekend will involve covering all these areas anyhow.

Personally, I prefer my shrooms from the rain-forest, but too many grow in the dryer parts to overlook.

Good to hear the milk-caps are about Lampy, I'll head out for a squiz in the middle of the week sometime. Will do a trek through the bush from here to the Redwoods and post an update on conditions/fungii.

cheers,

ed

but the river is fishable - trout, blackfish - here as at above spot.

Veeery tempting Ed.

If you like 'slimies', the Gellibrand R (that the Dando's camping area is on) has Australia's largest blackfish population.

That being said, they're your average-sized river slimy with the odd biggy mixed in, but then again, Ive never specifically targeted them, only a by-catch when using bait for trout.

If you're into them (a bit soft-fleshed for me) I can put you onto a reservior where they average about 4lb, but I've taken them closer to ten on occasion (and only half-way to here from your place). FWIW I found blackfish that size hard to believe until I experienced it. Pm me if you'd like directions.

Pan-sized trout are easily had at either of the spots on the Aire R, with about a 2lb fish being regarded as good-sized for the water.

ed

I vote Aire valley plantation. Never had a proper look around the redwoods but from what i've seen it looks unbelievable! Plus i like the idea of having out own spot in the event some noisy tourists rock up.

cheers

Yep, that sounds good from Ed's description.

Sorry , I haven't got back to you guys for a while.

I'm still keen, but I just wont know till closer to the time.

( have to organize several things together,inc. other people, for it happens

If I do get there, chances are it'll be me + 1 or 2.

So I haven't forgotten and will keep in touch.

Another vote for the "Aire valley plantation", never been to the Otways before so am happy to start its exploration wherever .

OK, a few of us are coming down from Canberra for the 29th/30th.

I'd like to join for the Saturday if it's do-able. Unfortunately, family commitments won't let me actually camp out, but I'd love to make it along for the day. Could leave Melbourne early morning and head back after dark. How easy would it be to locate the expedition?

Edited by Rabaelthazar

i think it will be pretty easy to find the groupb :)