The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Erythrina spp.

Was just reading about Erythrina spp. on the SAB website. Sounds interesting, albeit dangerous. I've UTFSE and read a fair few thread, but would like to know more.

Does anyone have any experience with them, or know of anyone with first-hand experiences? Am interested in both effects and side-effects, especially in regards to higher doses and toxicity.

Coral trees grow commonly as a pretty noxious weed around here, although I'm pretty sure they are a hybrid. They can become mono-cultural groves if allowed to, especially around creek lines...

Edited by tripsis

Have smoked small (packed cone piece worth) doses of vespertilio bark, seems to be a mild sedative but I'm hesitant to push the dose too much higher. The mulungu bark is readily available ( http://www.medicinegarden.com.au/moreinfo.php?item=RMULP50 ) and seems to have had more documented use online, there seem to be a few people reporting decent anxiolytic/sedative responses to it - http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=356351

Have smoked small (packed cone piece worth) doses of vespertilio bark, seems to be a mild sedative but I'm hesitant to push the dose too much higher. The mulungu bark is readily available ( http://www.medicinegarden.com.au/moreinfo.php?item=RMULP50 ) and seems to have had more documented use online, there seem to be a few people reporting decent anxiolytic/sedative responses to it - http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=356351

I have used the mulungu bark pretty heavily for insomnia and has worked a treat ,only as a tea though quite a strong sedative for me but should not use it for long periods as it's not too good for your liver

Have smoked small (packed cone piece worth) doses of vespertilio bark

Interesting. I would have thought the lectins would be destroyed by smoking, so your effect may well be from other constituents.

have smoked a number of different erythrinas.similar effects from all.effects always seemed similar to those described for oral use.vespertillio seems best to me.

t s t .

check out the reports on edot from mulungu, people get fucked up on that stuff.

Hey Teotz, I'm not a member on Edot. Care to post some of the info from there here?

Has anyone had experience with "high doses" on the seeds?

think i posted about that in ethnobotany about a year ago...should have a link there.

t s t .

Hey Teotz, I'm not a member on Edot. Care to post some of the info from there here?

I'm banned from there, but you don't have to be a member to view the threads... so you can do it just as easily as I can!

have smoked a number of different erythrinas.similar effects from all.effects always seemed similar to those described for oral use.vespertillio seems best to me.

t s t .

Irie tst,

What parts are you smoking??? The leaves? The seeds?

Never tried smoking mulungu.

Haven't heard about it being toxic, except for fish.

I wildcraft my own bark that I use as teas. Got shite loads. I love it. It even gets blended in to the morning Cocoa tea, for the kids.

Found it's great for calming down hyper women!!!!

Respect

Z

have smoked leaves,flowers,seds and/or bark of various erythrinas.

all worked ok but leaves or bark were nicest smoke and bark prob the best.

didnt notice much difference at my dose of about 1/2 tsp finely ground material between the different varieties, except that vespertillio seemed the nicest.

they are quite pleasant nootropic sedatives at this dose which enhance sleep very well.

link to the old sab thread re edot posts......

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19076&view=&hl=erythrina%20edot&fromsearch=1

Irie,

Some photos

Respect

Z

post-5111-126036893606_thumb.jpg

post-5111-126036896184_thumb.jpg

post-5111-126036898026_thumb.jpg

This and the other threads sparked my interest, so a tea was prepared from 100g of (I assume whole plant) mulungu powder in 1250 mL water brought to the boil and simmered covered for 30 mins, cooled and strained.

Liquid equivalent to approximately 20g powder was consumed, perhaps a slight relaxation felt, maybe very slight anxiolytic effect, aphrodisiac?

A few hours later some wooziness felt so retired to bed, slept better than I usually would. Woke up this morning feeling ok, had a cigarette and immediately started feeling nauseous again. This lasted maybe an hour, then I remember reading that mulungu apparently blocks nicotine receptors and has been used as a quit smoking aid. So just went outside for another cigarette and sure enough, the wooziness returns. Coincidence? Not sure. Anyone else noticed this?

Anyway, I'm keen to continue the experiments as I hope mulungus anxiolytic effects work for me, I assume that a higher dose was necessary than ~20g, also I'm pretty sure the material was powdered whole plant rather than just bark (because the packaging didn't specify which part of the plant), and apparently the bark has greater anxiolytic properties and the whole plant more sedative.

Keen to make an extract, hydroethanolic seems to be the norm in papers, they refluxed for a few hours, solvent removed on the rotavap. Was hoping to just simmer for an hour in water/ethanol then remove the solvent by boiling off gently as I don't have a rotavap lol, but I have concerns that the actives might boil off. However, if the actives are volatile then one would assume that they'd come off on the rotavap too, right? And that the rotavap was simply used for convenience and to minimise any possible thermal degradation.

Edit: the powder was erythrina mulungu

Edited by Alice