The Corroboree
Chiral

Eight of the World’s Most Unusual Plants

love the Hydnora africana, this is another worlds weirdest plant link worth a geez too http://www.oddee.com/item_96804.aspx

Edited by blowng

I've seen a Rafflesia species in the wild, can't remember which one it was though, not arnoldii. They didn't smell that bad, but they were all past their prime or still buds (the size of cabbages!).

Amorphophallus species are awesome, I'd like to grow some at some point. The Dracunculus vulgaris looks quite similar, I'm guessing it's in the Araceae family.

The Hydnora africana is bizarre.

Now Welwitschia mirabilis...that's a personal favourite of mine. I've got some seeds, but will have to delay sowing them until I get back from travels. It's an incredible plant, one of the three Gnetales, along with Ephedra and Gnetum. Very unusual plants.

Some great plants in your link too blowng. I love baobabs and all other fat trees. Adenium obesum and other species are pretty incredible too. Dracaena cinnabari lives alongside A. obesum on Socotra. Would love to visit that island one day.

Euphorbia obesa is beautiful plant too. I have a few of them. Check out the var. prolifera cultivar and other forms at the bottom of the page.

Yeah i have a soft spot for Euphorbias , i have one obesa in my colection, those pics were very drool worthy, i wonder if mine is a male or female now ,its only young i think, i didnt even know they had sexes on seperate plants, thanks tripsis

Mine are all female I think, although the ssp. symmetrica I've not seen in flower yet. Yeah, that site has some awesome photos.

That Euphorbia obesa is like nothing I have ever seen. What an amazing work of art! When I see things like this in the world, it snaps me back to remember the complexities around me in pretty much everywhere. It is only the more obsure or rarer ones like this that makes me open my eyes wider.

Nature is truely beautiful :)

FUCK YEAH so cool plants

havnt seen that Hydnora b4

i also followed a link from one of those sites to get here

check out that blue shroom!

edit -> i didnt know E obesa were dioecious either. i think mine's a boy its flowering now

Edited by flora

My favorite weird plants are saprophytes, but specifically Monotropa uniflora. Saprophytes don't photosynthesize, they eat! In this case the plant is hosted by mycorrhizal fungi that are hosted by trees.

Ah yes, the cheaters of the plant kingdom. :) You only ever see them when they're flowering too. I find it interesting that there is no known benefit for the mycorrhizal fungi involved.

Damn Apoth, the first pic looks like icicles...weird indeed.

Damn Apoth, the first pic looks like icicles...weird indeed.

Probably flowering in the wet. Without chloroplasts, you can see right inside the cells when they are wet!

wow.... anyone have "Rafflesia arnoldii" seeds for trade!!!! ^_^

wow.... anyone have "Rafflesia arnoldii" seeds for trade!!!! ^_^

You wouldn't be able to grow it even if you could get seeds. It's a parasite of certain species of trees.

queen-of-the-andes.jpg Queen of the Andes remains classified as endangered. Found in the Andes mountains in Peru and Bolivia, it only produces seeds once every 80 years, and then dies. Climate change is already impairing its ability to flower, while cattle ranching is also having a negative impact in some areas.

wau, what plants full of character, great pic & info!

as a migrant to oz, i had to learn to find the beauty and magic associated with all those arid type plants,

but now i find them realy awesome! :wub:

Queen of the Andes remains classified as endangered. Found in the Andes mountains in Peru and Bolivia, it only produces seeds once every 80 years, and then dies. Climate change is already impairing its ability to flower, while cattle ranching is also having a negative impact in some areas.

Where did you find that information? It's pretty interesting.

Edited by tripsis

one of my favs

post-1178-12651040125_thumb.jpg

post-1178-126510403071_thumb.jpg

post-1178-126510407299_thumb.jpg

Myrmecodia becarii, ant plants.

These things are awesome, but best left for looking at. I stupidly tried to collect a few plants and ended up completely covered in thousands of little ants. Their bite doesn't hurt that much but after a few thousand it does get pretty irritating.

funny little plant there, what's the deal with the big lump that it's roots and stems grow out of? is that like a house intended for ants to colonise?

Yep, the inside in a network of tunnels and chambers which the ants use as a nest.