The Corroboree
paradox

Film- Garbage Warrior

hey all, i just watched this film Garbage Warrior & found it really inspiring. some great ideas & a really interesting & inspiring man & the people that work with him. i thoroughly recommend checking it out!!!!!

What do beer cans, car tires and water bottles have in common? Not much unless you're renegade architect Michael Reynolds, in which case they are tools of choice for producing thermal mass and energy-independent housing. For 30 years New Mexico-based Reynolds and his green disciples have devoted their time to advancing the art of "Earthship Biotecture" by building self-sufficient, off-the-grid communities where design and function converge in eco-harmony. However, these experimental structures that defy state standards create conflict between Reynolds and the authorities, who are backed by big business. Frustrated by antiquated legislation, Reynolds lobbies for the right to create a sustainable living test site. While politicians hum and ha, Mother Nature strikes, leaving communities devastated by tsunamis and hurricanes. Reynolds and his crew seize the opportunity to lend their pioneering skills to those who need it most. Shot over three years and in four countries, Garbage Warrior is a timely portrait of a determined visionary, a hero of the 21st century.

Edited by xodarap

Love this guy, I went to a seminar in Bendigo, Melbourne last year where Michael was speaking, very inspiring!

http://earthship.com/

would love to build one, somehow I don't think our government would let you build one...

Though I heard Ceres was building one in Melbourne...

I saw this on Foxtel and found it very inspiring.

I missed the start; did the plastic bottles have some kind of significance? Where they on certain direction facing walls or did they store energy during the day or something?

I saw this on Foxtel and found it very inspiring.

I missed the start; did the plastic bottles have some kind of significance? Where they on certain direction facing walls or did they store energy during the day or something?

the plastic bottles just provide perfectly packaged, brick sized space to use for insulation. it's basically just rendered over providing a dirt cheap form of very effective insulation. you could build an entire house out of cans for nothing but cost of the mortar to render it.. as long as you ensure good foundations, which is quite easily achievable using cheap or free recycled materials if you need to, it is an extremely efficient & effective building material. if you think of insulation needing two solid surfaces with an insulating atmosphere in between, what could be more convenient than perfect brick sized parcels of atmosphere which have been sealed between two solid rendered layers.. it's utter madness no ones done it on a large scale before... & thats why this guys work could mean so much for people after natural disasters or in situations of poverty etc, he has a very very effective building method which costs almost $0 & literally utalizes rubbish as it's main component, the problem is that these ideas would destroy the building industry as it is if they were to become mainstream..

Some were for cosmetic stuff, like the wine and blue sky vodka glass bottles, they looked amazing! I remember Michael saying he loved country's that had sky vodka bottles as they looked beautiful in the structure, like jewels!

I would imagine they would aid in letting light through as well.

Others were used as part of the skeleton as load bearing devices like a brick...

Wish I could build one!

i'll add for people who haven't seen the film that there is alot of very cool ideas in it, but also this guy is a very interesting character & biographically it's a pretty stimulating & entertaining film..

Others were used as part of the skeleton as load bearing devices like a brick...

yeah i was more talking about the way he used cans & plastic bottles where the load of the roof would be taken by another supportive structure, glass bottles are usually more a decorative element.

great idea, I wonder if it was cactus that inspired him to build these houses?

THAT IS MY DREAM!

stream...

Edited by vual

same!

You can build one dude, i noticed during the film he said that they would draw up plans for the disaster zone so those indian islanders can replicate there own on other islands, we just ahve to find these "instructions" and use the same idea's and concepts to enlarge it to a bigger scale. Earth-ship... Here i come..

How To build A Earth Ship

More Earth ship plan's

Earthship: How to Build Your Own, Vol. 1

Price: $21.56

Think ill have to buy the above book ^

Edited by vual

Getting a building permit for permanent structures in Australia is not as easy as one would think, the plans would not get approved buy our backwards pen pushing council governments due to health and safety laws...

A prime time of getting something like this approved is after disaster "black Saturday"

Remote bush fire prone areas would be good case for buildings of this class.

Or you might be able get a special permit under special circumstances like a sculpture or eco savvy prototype test project.

Or you could just build one off the record :wink: If our system ever(when it)fails you wont be thanking local governments in a hurry...

thanks for bursting my bubble :P, Permit... Who mentioned anything about a permit :P

thanks for bursting my bubble :P, Permit... Who mentioned anything about a permit :P

Sorry dood :P , I got real excited when I first seen the doco too!

I have looked into doing a Voltaire build in the states with his earth ship crew, They take applications during the year, A friend of mine was accepted to the one happening in September, though he has just had a baby...

Would be a sick adventure, I am sure you could fit in some south American shamanic journeys to :innocent_n:

I'll have to check out the movie, I've seen a bit of earthship construction

on TV, great cheap way to build your own house. One loophole you may find

useful is existing structure status. That is you can renovate an existing

structure with little or no council permission. If you're in a remote area,

often councils only use google earth to check for new constructions. They

can't tell if it's a shed or a house.

Some councils will even let you put up a shed under a certain size with no plans or permits.

Then you can retrofit as you wish. They usually only get concerned with plumbing and

electrical work but if you have a friend who can help or are really remote you can still get around that.

Sola

WOW!! Truly amazing film, thanks for sharing! I will definitely be recommending this to all my friends and family!! a must watch!

haha i saw this section of the forum and was gonna post about this. good to see someones done it already.

has anyone tried any of this guys methods, specifically the packed tires?

also, i have a book from (i think) the 70s about all sorts of thatched houses with blueprints and what not. there are houses from all sorts of cultures over the world..

if anyones interested i can scan on some pages??

Yet another doco which needs to go viral. Truly inspiring stuff.

also, i have a book from (i think) the 70s about all sorts of thatched houses with blueprints and what not. there are houses from all sorts of cultures over the world..

if anyones interested i can scan on some pages??

I'm interested. :)

Yet another doco which needs to go viral. Truly inspiring stuff.

I'm interested. :)

yes please

Big call:

but until we demand a world system other than capital profit

'they'll' never let us have our wonderful low energy earth ships.

Too many jobs will be lost. HAHAHAHA. ah..

The councils are f'd all over..

but a nice way around it, is toeing the line between permanent, and removable structure.

Yurt anyone?

what about art?

sculpture?

Its the state Gov's that are pushing the new permit systems onto the councils to a large extent.

I used to live in a shire who's attitude toward building a house was

Q 1: where do ya live? answer: What :o Way the f### out there! :blink:

Q 2: Is it gonna be within 50m of a road or water course? answer: No

Q 3: Is it gonna be within 15m of another dwelling? answer: No

Response was: F off then your too far out! & i'm not taking my car over XXXX rd just to see your place, just make sure you get the brother inlaw to do your crapper

(his brother inlaw was the only licenced plumber in the district at the time).

Its been state successive governments seeking to have uniform rules to make life easy for industry that has stuffed it for the rest of us.

Edited by shortly

Its the state Gov's that are pushing the new permit systems onto the councils to a large extent.

Its been state successive governments seeking to have uniform rules to make life easy for industry that has stuffed it for the rest of us.

:BANGHEAD2:

will we ever figure it out?